Whispers of the Dark Mother Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Whispers of the Dark Mother Chapter 1

Post by steveflam »

JMaytr wrote:Amara

The barkeep smiles and pours Amara another drink.

"It's odd to see a woman drinking in here alone," he says putting the dark ale in front of her. "If you're out to learn of other cultures I'm guessing you're not from around here...Do I see traces of Gallfaen? My Great grandpappy was Gallfaen. Here, this one's on the house. Zuchar's Black, finest ale in all of Brynndell and brewed right 'ere, well...in town. Zuchar runs the Ogre's Belly, but its not the type of place for any gal-even with a sword like that.
"Now if it's adventure you seek, there is always the Beast of Bright Mountain...but if its more substantial employment you really need, I hear Lady Canterville has been looking for workers for her strange garden."
Looking at the barkeep, then waiting while Tiberius replies, Amara thinks about what she would like to do. Fight! However maybe the garden would be fine as well.

"Yes I am Gallfaen. Well I am not like a normal female Gallfaen as you can see." She smiles before continuing.

"I am wanting to go and use my friend Rognar here," she pats her blade, "but if this garden work is full of adventure I am inclined to try it as well. I much prefer fighting to gardening, though." She takes a swig of her ale.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terrik

Even if still a bit shaken from the howl and the death of the merchants Terrik makes a great effort and starts narrating the last hour facts. He tries to not leave anything out. He doesn't know what is more important right now, get the giant or find out what was that terrible howl. After finishing talking Terrik gets a deep breathing realizing he is talking non stop for quite some time!

"I'm sorry sir, I'm a bit overwelmed as you can immagine."

He shows the soldier the finger he found earlier.

"That's the only thing I got, I'm not proud to admit that I fled panicked and couldn't go back after the attack. I just came here to seek shelter and help. If you want I can get you and other soldiers at the spot but I doubt I will be much help. I'm not a trained soldier merrily a scout."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The white robed cleric leads Junia towards a small chamber with a cot. She directs her to sit. Moments later she returns with a small crystal bottle filled with blue, sparkling liquid.

"Drink, these will heal your wounds. Are you a follower of the Grey Maiden? From your scars I see that you court death in your occupation...are you o eager to go to the Dustlands and wait for her divine judgement?"
VIEW CONTENT:
You heal back 9 hp. The potion feels warm in your stomach, like good gin.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JUNIA/TEMPLE
JMaytr wrote:The white robed cleric leads Junia towards a small chamber with a cot. She directs her to sit. Moments later she returns with a small crystal bottle filled with blue, sparkling liquid.

"Drink, these will heal your wounds. Are you a follower of the Grey Maiden? From your scars I see that you court death in your occupation...are you o eager to go to the Dustlands and wait for her divine judgement?"
VIEW CONTENT:
You heal back 9 hp. The potion feels warm in your stomach, like good gin.
''Eager to die? No, but I guess that doesn't matter-- we're all going to die someday, right?"
Junia scowls before swallowing the strange potion.
''Ah, that's good! I feel better already."
She stands and looks about again, searching for a collection box or offering niche of something of the sort.
"Um, where do I...you know, pay my respects to the goddess? I always leave an offering if I can."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The cleric smiles and shows Junia a collection box by the altar. She thanks the young woman for her tithe and then goes about her business.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

In Ogres Alley

The men holding up the blood splattered drunkard mull over the words of the cleric and the gravedigger, and then concede they must be correct. They release the man who stumbles over to his crying son, taking him in his arms. "Thank you", the boy says to Lyrana, and helps his father scramble away. The crowd begins to disperse leaving Herman to go about his work.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

In the Laughing Dragon

The bartenders expression grows dark and he lowers his voice.

"Yes...The Beast of Bright Mountain. Its plagued this valley for hundreds of years, since before the founding of the kingdom. Its a terrible, hound-like monster with fangs as long as knives. Just seeing the creature can make you go mad. A heroes feast, maybe even a statue in some park someplace is guaranteed to whomever can finally bring the Beast down."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JUNIA
JMaytr wrote:The cleric smiles and shows Junia a collection box by the altar. She thanks the young woman for her tithe and then goes about her business.
After making her offering, Junia departs the temple.

She goes in search of some public gathering place where she can find workers suitable for centipede catching. It's a dirty, dangerous job, so she'll want to find some rough types for the work. But not the stab-Junia-in-the-neck and steal her sack of money sort of rough.

Does she know a place like this?
VIEW CONTENT:
If necessary, here is a roll against knowledge: local.

[dice]0[/dice]

+5
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

JMaytr wrote:In the Laughing Dragon

"Yes...The Beast of Bright Mountain. Its plagued this valley for hundreds of years, since before the founding of the kingdom. Its a terrible, hound-like monster with fangs as long as knives. Just seeing the creature can make you go mad. A heroes feast, maybe even a statue in some park someplace is guaranteed to whomever can finally bring the Beast down."

Amara looks at Tiberius. "This sounds interesting to me. Although more research should be in order before tackling this "BEAST" Would this interest you?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

OGRE ALLEY

Herman finishes up, looking the alley over for any other pieces of the deceased that may have been severed. "I'm headed to the Temple of Eternal Rest with this unfortunate fellow. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, sister. You wouldn't be headed the same way, would you?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

tarlyn wrote:
JMaytr wrote:In the Laughing Dragon

Amara looks at Tiberius. "This sounds interesting to me. Although more research should be in order before tackling this "BEAST" Would this interest you?"
"Sounds dangerous." Tiberius says. "I don't mind a bit a danger ever now and then. Though I am not familiar with these parts and I am not so keen on getting lost and possibly losing my head."

He pauses to drink and think before continuing on. "I think I will drink, rest, and see what the rest of town has to offer before hunting down some legendary monster."

Finishing his drink he slides the cup back to the bartender. "Another my friend, wouldn't happen to know a place with reasonable rates that man could rest his feet at would you?"
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Lyrana looks satisfied with her work, and then nods casually to Herman

"Well, I could be I suppose. I don't have anywhere else to be for an hour or so. Not my temple, of course, but none the worse for that I'm sure!"

She looks around the alley for a moment as if trying to work out what might have happened here, then shrugs and follows the gravedigger.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Herman pushes his wheelbarrow back in the direction of the temple, singing a song to himself he made up on the spot titled "Heads Will Roll" and waving happily to anyone who passes by.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Herman and Lyrana ascend the short hill to the temple and arrive in time to see a young woman with scars across her face enter the main building. Across the yard, behind a waist-high wooden plank fence, Saylaa Perth presides over a funeral that appears to have just started. There are only a handful of mourners.
Last edited by JMaytr on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The Laughing Dragon

The barkeep laughs. It is warm and friendly.

"Stranger, you can stay here. Its only two a gold a night including breakfast come morning. Sausages and bread with honey made here in town. My wife's recipe; adds a hint of cinnamon to it. Divine."

He nods to Amara.

"Same goes for you if you interested."