Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper

Post by kintire »

Safana smiles

"Well you have been such a help today it would be churlish to refuse. Lets discuss what sort of thing you want. If its a serious competition we don't want to be just making it up as we go!"

She joins in the toast to the duke, but again there is that hint of amusement at the mention of the Duke's marriage. The remark about the dancers possibly. She then leans over to Termalan again.

"What sort of dancing DO you want? I can do a variety of styles..."

Her voice trails off as he announces his illness and she looks concerned
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Safana smiles

"Well you have been such a help today it would be churlish to refuse. Lets discuss what sort of thing you want. If its a serious competition we don't want to be just making it up as we go!"

She joins in the toast to the duke, but again there is that hint of amusement at the mention of the Duke's marriage. The remark about the dancers possibly. She then leans over to Termalan again.

"What sort of dancing DO you want? I can do a variety of styles..."

Her voice trails off as he announces his illness and she looks concerned

Ben helps Temerlan to his feet.
''I'll see Temerlan to a boarding house. Indeed, I need to get a room for myself. I won't be cross...err..I won't be going home tonight."

Daene stands up. ''I don't feel so good either..."

Colier shakes his head ''I feel just fine. Maybe you two are sick? A couple of days ago I heard a baker's apprentice say something's been going round... Anyway, thanks again to Master Temerlan and Mistress Safana for the food and drink--and that show. Magic!''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE NEXT MORNING, TOWER OF THE HUNT

The party has risen and made all the preparations for travel.

It only remains for Ned and Hob to ride northeast while the others seek the western trails, the way up into the Seamists and elf-country.

Reese and Quentin mind the horses, waiting for the others on the frosty ground at the base of the hill, in the shadow of the tower.

The elf prisoner stands nearby, wrists bound and a rope dangling from his neck.
One of the soldiers of the tower keeps a close watch on him.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Temerlan, Safana

"Colier, better help your cousin, but be ready to duck away if he coughs. I can tell you that flu or cold or stomach-ache is nasty."
Termelan grimaced and turned to Ben "Is that something going around innocent enough that I would be OK to perform tomorrow for the contest? I would hate to miss a chance to dance with madam Safana after all!" he said, trying to keep his spirits up.
"My lady, in order to not catch that flu you better keep your distance..." and he adds with a wink "for the time at least."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Temerlan, Safana
Termelan grimaced and turned to Ben "Is that something going around innocent enough that I would be OK to perform tomorrow for the contest? I would hate to miss a chance to dance with madam Safana after all!" he said, trying to keep his spirits up.
Ben shrugs.
"I don't know."
He motions toward the door.
''But you look green. Better get you to a room before...''

OOC: see below for a scene the next day.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:"Of course we can drop the etiquette, I'm not fond of it anyway just keep it when we are in pubblic. Crowley didn't return yet? That's weird we both left the other inn same time. He did a really nice job there, he does know hid job. Thank you for giving him to me."

Filbert fills Dominica what happened yesterday including the strange cat.

"I'm not a wizard but I didn't like this cat, maybe was a coincidence but it seems to have showed the guard where were we in the cellar and I think it might followed me yesterday but I maybe I'm overeacting. Anyway I need your help one more time. The leader of the group said he will ask for me around before letting me in. I need him to find something, for my alterego Perry of course. Not much but maybe an arrest for burglery, something that can convince them that I'm like them. Maybe having someone in a guild will help us to find out the conspiracy."

Pointing Gimp's armor he adds:

"And can you get me an armor like this? A light one so will not cause movement problems if possible. I need to be agile if I want to be in that guild. Of course you will be paid for that."
The woman arches an eyebrow at Filbert's request. Yet another one who is interested in my choice of armor then smiles to herself.

"I will make the proper inquiries about your armor request. As to your record, I may be able to help though it may cost you some coins. Let me see what I can do."

Mulling over the events of the past evening, she is proud of Crowley. He performed as was to be expected of himself and would be rewarded accordingly.

"I know nothing about magic or cats, but am content that you were successful and that Crowley delivered as promised."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TEMERLAN AND SAFANA
(THE NEXT DAY)

THE BROKEN ARCH

Several dozen men, women and kids have gathered at the heap of masonry that had once been the Haes end of a causeway connecting Haes and Lofton, many years ago.

Gwyllem Reed, the playwright who has called the audition, stands near the broken stone arch with the riverbank dropping off behind him.
The plump man tugs his coat snug about his body. He clears his throat, exhaling a little puff of fog into the cold air.
In a loud, clear voice, he says, ''Actors, step forward. Good people who've come to see and hear, please, please, give the performers some room."

The crowd shuffles back in a rough semicircle facing the river, giving the thespians a small clearing on the frosty, gravelly ground.
Boys and a few girls climb up on the lower parts of the crumbling arch so they can see over the heads of the adults.

The north wind blows a gust, knocking snow off the top of the arch. The wet snow plops onto the playwright. He sputters and curses under his breath, and then steps back, directly under the arch.
He shakes his hat clean of snow and places it back on his head. He blows on his fingers.

The wind gusts again.
Crack.
The upper part of the broken arch tilts down, snow and debris raining down on the playwright....

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

TOWER OF THE HUNT

Renn secures the straps on his saddle and checks his arrows again. "Do you think we should stay off the main trails?" he asks Roald and Cormac. "We stick to those trails, we're likely to ride right into an ambush. That's how I'd do it if I were the Manslayer, anyway. He's probably got eyes on those roads, too."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Tower of the Hunt

The Bard laughs when Renn speaks of trails or roads in 'Elf Country.'

"You won't find much in the way of roads, or trails." She says.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac shrugs. "It's nae my country, but yer not wrong. An', I'd say we keep a close eye on our 'guide,' that he ain't leadin' us right into a picket or someplace trapped." He pitches his voice up so it will carry. "Though, he can be sure, if he tries anythin', he'll die along with the rest of us."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE SEARCHERS
AT THE TOWER OF THE HUNT

Sir Boarholt approaches.
He raises a hand and waves to the half-elf bard.
'' Your music was lovely, good woman. I hope that you'll play something for us as we ride away. And I wish you good luck on your own travels.''

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

The next day

MIDDAY, AT BARILLIA AND ASSOCIATES

"I understand, I don't mind to pay for your service. A job well done needs to be awarded anyway, same thing about the armor, if you can find me one that can protect me, is light and doesn't inhibit my movement I will be glad to pay and buy it."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:The next day

MIDDAY, AT BARILLIA AND ASSOCIATES

"I understand, I don't mind to pay for your service. A job well done needs to be awarded anyway, same thing about the armor, if you can find me one that can protect me, is light and doesn't inhibit my movement I will be glad to pay and buy it."
"I will make inquiries on your behalf for the armor and getting you a criminal record. I promise neither success or failure in these matters until I know more." She smiles across her desk
at the halfling, reassuring him or trying to.

"As it happens I have business with an associate this afternoon who might be able to accomadate you in both regards or at least point you in the right direction. You are, I presume,
a man of discretion and trust?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac looks skeptically at this music-nonsense, but he'll turn his horse and leave with the rest of the group.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

TEMERLAN AND SAFANA
THE BROKEN ARCH

"Watch out!" Termelan shouts as he breaks away from the crowd to pull away the playwright that seems caught in surprise. While feeling under the weather still, instincts take over. He launches on the playwright as large blocks start falling and with considerable agility crushes into him, his speed carrying them away, before they are both crushed by the falling debris as the loud noise of masonry pieces crushing from height echo through the area.
As Termelan and the playwright hit the snow, Termelan turns and sees that a big, heavy piece of the bridge rests where they have been standing a moment ago in a cloud of dust and a rain of smaller debris. Not waiting for realization of the danger to paralyze him to, Termelan hugs the still confused playwright and uses his body to barrel them both away from any further danger.

Then, he stands up and before fear can wash away the adrenaline and the shock, he fights the need to just drop to his knees and tremble by turning, again, to the show man. He gives his heavy, warm cloak (now soiled with snow and dust) a flourish, and offers his arm to the playwright to help him stand, with an elaborate move that seems more like a bow before a patron at the end of a performance than bending and extending an arm.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!