Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper

Post by ewancummins »

THE THIEVES
Filbert

Filbert's huge shadow glides ahead of him into the long, stone-walled cellar. Darkness fills the far end of the large vault, and pools in the hollows between shelves and crates and casks lined up in neat rows that cover more than half the floor. Dust motes drift down from the rafters, falling three times Filbert's height, caught in the glare of Crowley's lantern.

Going in without the big man, Filbert sees the brightness of the back glare fall off and the indistinct darkness grow thicker and closer. But the warmth bleeding from the burning oil soils his heat-vision. Unless he closes the heavy door or goes alone into the dark, cold far end of the cellar, he will have to relay on his other senses.

He hears a dry scuttling, scraping noise, nearby but no obvious source in sight.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

The Thieves/Filbert

"Filbert ignores the scrsping noise for now, Crowley already told him that there is a cat neatby. So he secures the door so it will not close and walks till the far end of the cellar always looking around.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:The Thieves/Filbert

"Filbert ignores the scrsping noise for now, Crowley already told him that there is a cat neatby. So he secures the door so it will not close and walks till the far end of the cellar always looking around.

Searching the cellar, Filbert locates a tall shelf filled top to bottom with wine bottles.
At least a third of the bottles are placed higher than he can reach without standing on something.

But there are plenty of boxes and barrels laying about the cellar, and Filbert has no trouble finding one to use as a sort of ladder.

Every bottle looks as if it has a label affixed, but the tiny letters thereon are hard to make out in the poor lighting.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert goes back to Crowley.

"Can you come with me inside please I need more light and also it will be easier for you to get the bottles down as you are taller. Then we are out of here."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Crowley sighs inwardly, and looking up the stairs one more time, he heads into the room. Holding the lamp up to emit as much light as possible.with his left hand, he looks around.
His right hand lays on his belaying pin at his right hip, just in case
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

:azalin:
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:SAFANA AND TEMERLAN
THE WHITE HART
"I thought I'd come by myself and thank you for honoring my alehouse with your presence. It's not every day we get a show like that!"
She smiles.
"I'm Isolde."
Termelan has his friendly tone with Isolde but he's carefully not flirtarious. "Thank you very much, the honor is ours. I am Termelan a, hopefully, skilled bard from far, far away. These are the lovely Safana that brought her exotic art and beauty from the wondrous lands of the Kinashi, the cousins Colier and Daene, exceptional lads both from the honest, helpful folk this land produces and Ben that his slight misfortune is the reason we are all here together!"

After a while Termelan speaks to Safana, not a whisper this time. "Madam, as you know I am going to perform tomorrow in the bridge for a contest. An important contest that would determine if I will be in the select few to perform at his Grace's the duke wedding. I was told that if I knew anyone talented, I could ask her to participate. Would you be interested in lending me your illusions tomorrow at the contest? Or if that is not exactly legit or fair to my competitors, if you would agree to accompany my song with a dance?
To repay you for your kindness if you agree, I would pay for food, drink and mementos in our little trip afterwards.
Colier and Daene have heard the song and I think they can testify it is a nice song, but the presence of a skilled, beautiful dancer would certainly help, right lads?"
Termelan turns to Colier and Daene with a look, trying to enlist their help to convince Safana to help him tomorrow in the contest.

Colier says ''A dancer, yes! If Mistress Safana will be doing her magic again tomorrow, well, we know some girls..."

Daene chuckles.
"No, Colier, the dancers we know aren't the kind he will want."

Isolde laughs, too.
"From what I've heard, the Young Stag would appreciate those kind of danc...ah, but His Grace is getting married soon. And thank the kindly gods for the match and the peace it brings our land." Her broad smile fades to just a hint of mirth at the corners of her mouth.
She turns away from the table and calls out,
''Let's all drink to His Grace, Devlin Flaertes, long may he reign!"

That sets off a round of toasts among the guests (and incidentally prompts many new drink orders).
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AFTER NIGHTFALL, THE TOWER OF THE HUNT

The informal conference of questers has ended, and everyone gone off to his duties, rest, or private agenda...

The Bard interrogates the two elf women in a cell. A pair of armed Knights of the Hunt stand close by her, watching her as well as the prisoners.

---------------------------------

Cormac goes to the barn to share a meal with Ned and Hob before they ride away (they plan to leave shortly after sunrise).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rennault Ghonallison...
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:SEARCHERS

Renn elects to stay the night in the officer's quarters, but plans on making a go at sneaking Sevett and Gatt some wine from the commissary.

-----------------------------

Roald...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FILBERT AND CROWLEY
THE THIEVES

With more light, and help from Crowley, Filbert begins an examination of the wine rack.

He finds a dark brown glass bottle of wine with markings of an Avanese vineyard on the label. The bottle feels heavy and sounds full when he gives it a gentle shake.
Filbert sniffs around the cork, he catches a faint hint of the wine's bouquet.
And some dust.
He sneezes.
The bottle slips from his grip and strikes the floor with a dull thud.

It rolls under the shelf.

A screech rises from behind the thieves!

Looking back, they see the black cat, now in the cellar room with them, its back arched as it hisses and spits at them. It leaps up onto a cask, wails, and then disappears into the shadows behind the next row of supplies.

The two burglars have only just recovered from their surprise when they hear footsteps coming from the direction of the stairway...
(OOC
VIEW CONTENT:
Filbert wedged the door open, don't forget).

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Getting the wine Filbert says:

"We have to run, no bother to hide, this stupid cat will give us away. If we run into guards or something just try to escape we will meet later at Lady Domenica's place."

With that runs to the staircase as well.
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Getting the wine Filbert says:

"We have to run, no bother to hide, this stupid cat will give us away. If we run into guards or something just try to escape we will meet later at Lady Domenica's place."

With that runs to the staircase as well.

Filbert has almost reached the top step of the stairs just as someone twice his height looms into view in the open corridor above.
The tall man holds a lantern in one hand and a cudgel in the other.

''Stop there, you rascal!"
The watchman stoops, taking a hasty swing at Filbert.
His blow carries him off balance. He tumbles forward, almost taking the halfling with him as he rolls down the steps.
The man's lantern smashes into the wall as he falls, spraying hot oil and broken glass around the stairwell.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Crowley quickly follows Filbert up the stairs. Upon spying the bigger man, he doubles his speed, a belaying pin in each hand. "Hurry up out of the way, sir!"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Happy that he could dodge both the watchman and the latern Filbert continues upstairs. Once at the main floor takes the bigger corridor hoping that will lead at the inn's door.
- W H A T ! ? !
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:AFTER NIGHTFALL, THE TOWER OF THE HUNT

Roald...
Roald watches the sun set from the top of the tower, and then retires to the officer's quarters.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE THIEVES

CROWLEY--
tarlyn wrote:Crowley quickly follows Filbert up the stairs. Upon spying the bigger man, he doubles his speed, a belaying pin in each hand. "Hurry up out of the way, sir!"
Rushing upon the big man, Crowley smacks the fellow on the crown before he can get to his feet.

The night-watchman's whole body goes slack, collapsing limp onto the floor at the base of the steps. He groans, but doesn't stir.

Head bent low, Crowley runs right over the downed man, up the stairs, and after Filbert.

Without the stolen lantern he left in the cellar, and with his own hand lamp stowed while he clutches his two belaying pins, Crowley has to move through the darkened interior rooms by following the noise of the fleeing half-man...

---------------

FILBERT

Following a cold air current through the darkened ground floor rooms, Filbert finds a door opening out of the alehouse and onto the street.

He hears footsteps close behind him.
Glancing back, he sees a man-shaped heat blur coming through the door. As the figure draws nearer he can discern the features;
VIEW CONTENT:
it's Crowley!
Snow crunches under Filbert's feet. Not deep, but it looks as if it has stuck.

A cold breeze sweeps down the lane, blowing a thin spray of flakes into his face.