batman in ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: batman in ravenloft?

Post by thekristhomas »

Oracle-Barbara Gordon, wheelchair bound, psychic & seer (Half-Vistani? probably not but has studied as much of their ways as they would allow and has her own tarokka deck and functioning crystal ball) since an injury while adventuring has left the Dark Knight's former companion partially paralysed, but awakened her latent psionic/mystical powers, she has worked at building an information network which she uses to supply the Batman with clues in his nightly hunts

Robin - Damien Wayne, thief/acrobat/assassin, colourfully clad, harlequin masked, gunman distraction. Damien is the son of the Bat and the grandson of the Demon, if anyone is heir to Gotham, either as it's darklord or it's protector, it's Damien

Nightwing- Dick Grayson, acrobat/fighter, the original Robin has branched out as his own investigator, from a family of travelling performers, he developed the acrobatic fighting style which later Robins have emulated, he has stood in for the Batman on occasion suggesting some skill in disguise

The Red Hood- Many have worn the tight fitting red mask, and so many different acts both good and ill, have been performed while wear it, that some question whether it is even the same mask, indeed descriptions do vary. Some speculate as to whether the mask is simply a symbol, used to inspire fear, or a disguise allowing any to claim or be claimed by the legend. What is known is that the current wearer of the Hood is one Jason Todd, former Robin and until recently believed dead (and maybe he still is).

What is not known is that the Red Hood, that is the mask, not the person wearing it, is a strange variant Ravenloft cloaker. Many years ago, a scarlet cloaker was born, wherever it is that cloakers are born, and shunned by it's kind. Still, it managed to survive, it's particular shade of red made it attractive for adventurers who it would then feed upon, in the manner of it's kind. It was eventually captured by an experimenting wizard who attempted to use it as a conduit for his mind control (whether or not this wizard would go on to become the Mad Hatter is another story).

This resulted in the growth of a large hood at the "shoulders" of the cloaker which entirely covered the head of the victim. The experiment was not a total success, instead of a pliant subject, the hood inspired it's victims to do "the wrong thing". The cloaker revelled in it's new power but chaffed at it's slavery, it was subject to the wizards control even if it's victims weren't. It discovered that it's own body was being used against it, a magical talisman had been stitched into the main "cloak", through which the wizard exerted control.

While on a mission for the wizard, who was now touting the Hood to be used by various thieves guilds, the cloaker made a daring bid for freedom, and with all it's gathered might managed to cause it's victim to full into a vat of acid at an alchemical works. The cloaker had hoped that it would burn the talisman from inside itself, but it would be able to heal, in time. While the victims face was horribly scarred and discoloured, he survived and managed to pull the weakened cloaker from his face, and staggered away laughing.

With almost all it's body eaten away by the acid, the cloaker barely hung on to life, a cowl with no cloak. How it survived, how many lost souls it touched on the way to recovery, these are unknown. It is whispered that it is the hood that is the source of all Gothams masks, both hero and villain, and maybe the true darklord
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

thekristhomas wrote:With almost all it's body eaten away by the acid, the cloaker barely hung on to life, a cowl with no cloak. How it survived, how many lost souls it touched on the way to recovery, these are unknown. It is whispered that it is the hood that is the source of all Gothams masks, both hero and villain, and maybe the true darklord
Ooh, ooh, I like this one...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Maybe batman could be a person with multiple personality disorder who thinks that he is more than one batman, you know the batmen through out history?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Hmm... Nova Vaasa already has someone with multiple personalities.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Rock wrote:Hmm... Nova Vaasa already has someone with multiple personalities.
Honestly the entire struggle between Tristen and Malken already reminds me of Batman Versus Joker in many ways (that or maybe I project my fan ideas onto cannon material)

It's probably mostly in that very last line of Enemy Within where Tristen's is writing in his journal and his left hands starts to have spasms until he passes the pen to it at which point it writes "Come on Tristen me lad, it's time to play..." in Malken's much larger and more untidy style.

It (to ME) projects an air that while in that book Malken argues that Tristen needs Malken to have a foe so vile that his own less than savory actions are justifiable, what goes unspoken Malken needs to have a foe as determined and dedicated to stopping him as Tristen to make there be any risk, any fun, in his crimes.

EDIT: Which I suppose argues you could have one of Tristen's sons/grandsons be the Batman equivalent if Tristen's years are starting to catch up to him physically finally (though Malken still has the strength of a man in his 20/30's because Darklord Mists Dark Powers Magic GM) since there have been at least a few cannon situations where Batman ends up fighting a Joker who he used to have a son like relationship with (Revenge of the Joker) but none where Batman is fighting a Joker where he (the Joker) has a paternal relationship of some kind.
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

What sort of effect of the terror tracks would batman & his friends /foes suffer?
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

jules wrote:What sort of effect of the terror tracks would batman & his friends /foes suffer?
Poison Ivy is slowly turning from a normal human being into a dryad/treant/some other kind of plant creature (heck just consider the differences in her design between season 1-3 and season 4).

Look for yourself Image and tell me if you don't see someone getting drawing more and more of the Dark Powers' attention.

Also at one point in the comics I believe she actually lost the ability to properly "breath" the way that normal human beings do, and instead needed to take in CO2 and exhale oxygen (yes I'm fairly certain plants can do both, but Batman science people), meaning that as much as she hated human beings, if she was left on her own, she'd suffocate without at least some of them in same general area as her. Which in all seriousness is exactly the sort of mocking "empowerment" that the Dark Powers often handout to darklords.

Killer crock, once again go from this Image to this Image to this Image (the last version being like 9 feet tall while the others are like 6 and a half if you don't get why it's a progression) and you can draw your own conclusions.

Riddler's Clue giving compulsion and inability to handle when things don't just according to his plans getting worse.

Two Face's facial scars looking less like the result of some sort of magical curse, and more like, well how they look in Dark Knight which is doubtlessly the most horrific they've ever looked.

For Mr. Freeze, well Image it isn't exactly Image hard to figure out Image all things considered.

Those are the first ones that come to mind.
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

jamesfirecat wrote:
jules wrote:What sort of effect of the terror tracks would batman & his friends /foes suffer?
Poison Ivy is slowly turning from a normal human being into a dryad/treant/some other kind of plant creature (heck just look at the difference in her design between season 1-3 and season 4).

Look for yourself Image and tell me if you don't see someone getting drawing more and more of the Dark Powers' attention.

Also at one point in the comics I believe she actually lost the ability to properly "breath" the way that normal human beings do, and instead needed to take in CO2 and exhale oxygen (yes I'm fairly certain plants can do both, but Batman science people), meaning that as much as she hated human beings, if she was left on her own, she'd suffocate without at least some of them in same general area as her. Which in all seriousness is exactly the sort of mocking "empowerment" that the Dark Powers often handout to darklords.

Killer crock, once again go from this Image to this Image to this Image (the last version being like 9 feet tall while the others are like 6 and a half if you don't get why it's a progression) and you can draw your own conclusions.

Riddler's Clue giving compulsion and inability to handle when things don't just according to his plans getting worse.

Two Face's facial scars looking less like the result of some sort of magical curse, and more like, well how they look in Dark Knight which is doubtlessly the most horrific they've ever looked.

For Mr. Freeze, well Image it isn't exactly Image hard to figure out Image all things considered.

Those are the first ones that come to mind.
nice!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Here's how I would do Two-face (based on a composite of BTAS and the Dark Knight, using Ryan Naylor's corruption system). The approach I'm taking here is that Harvent Dent is essentially trying to be a pure white knight- he has a very strong code of honor, a very definite sense of right and wrong. That's why he works well with James Gordon and Batman.

There's a few problems beneath his incorruptible veneer. First of all, his sense of right and wrong is so defininite because it's relatively black and white, founded upon the principles that the world is an orderly world and that everyone will eventually get what they're due. Maybe not immediately, but some day. However, with his hard edge stance for purity, his attempts to be so pure he sets himself up for a fall. As his beliefs become challenged, he finds himself unable to avoid getting caught in the mud. He begins making little compromises and cutting corners to preserve his purity (or maybe just to save face.) He justifies certain distasteful actions he commits against people who aren't good, thus seeing them as less than people. This approach gradually wears his psyche down, until he can no longer deny what he is doing is good. Instead, he starts making excuses that there is no such thing as justice or order- it's just random chance. But on some level he knows this is a lie (what is left of his white knight persona), but he keeps doing it anyway. Hence, the cognitive dissonance is his curse, he has to solve everything with the toss of a coin.

Path of the Two-faced/Path of the Hypocrite
The Caress (Violence, grievous assault on bully or other local troublemaker; 4%): The beginning precursor of a “Big Bad Harv” persona emerges.
The Enticement (Betrayal; does best to pin the blame on somebody else; refuses to get the needed help he needs to get over his “Big Bad Harv” anger issues, 4%) : Big Bad Harv persona is buried beneath rigorous mental suppression. Most people believe Harv is not responsible.
The Invitation (Blasphemy, breaking oaths of conduct in “pursuit of the law”, 8%): Bad Boy Harv persona subtly reemerges, starts flipping the coin out of habit. Gains more renown as a lawyer.
The Embrace (Blasphemy and Violence, attempted murder of extortionist gangster and goons- breaking a vow of not taking the law into his hands without trial, 8%): Scars, must flip coin to make decisions. Gains two-weapon fighting and physical stat improvements to replace previous gains from failed DP checks.
The Creature (Betrayal and Violence, attempted murder of previous allies in pursuit of gangster, 16%): Can reroll Will saves and take the best of the two, some changing around of stats. Harvey Dent is lost as Twoface takes control and becomes a full-time criminal. Loses the love of his life
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Hah. The man who compromised to save face becomes Two-Face. ^_^ Good one.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Path of the Two-faced/Path of the Hypocrite
The Caress (Violence, grievous assault on bully or other local troublemaker; 4%): The beginning precursor of a “Big Bad Harv” persona emerges.
The Enticement (Betrayal; does best to pin the blame on somebody else; refuses to get the needed help he needs to get over his “Big Bad Harv” anger issues, 4%) : Big Bad Harv persona is buried beneath rigorous mental suppression. Most people believe Harv is not responsible.
The Invitation (Blasphemy, breaking oaths of conduct in “pursuit of the law”, 8%): Bad Boy Harv persona subtly reemerges, starts flipping the coin out of habit. Gains more renown as a lawyer.
The Embrace (Blasphemy and Violence, attempted murder of extortionist gangster and goons- breaking a vow of not taking the law into his hands without trial, 8%): Scars, must flip coin to make decisions. Gains two-weapon fighting and physical stat improvements to replace previous gains from failed DP checks.
The Creature (Betrayal and Violence, attempted murder of previous allies in pursuit of gangster, 16%): Can reroll Will saves and take the best of the two, some changing around of stats. Harvey Dent is lost as Twoface takes control and becomes a full-time criminal. Loses the love of his life
My only quibble here is "Harvey Dent is lost as Twoface takes control and becomes a full-time criminal." And that quibble I supposed is based on one possible reading of it.

If you ever ditch Harvey Dent completely, then you wind up with Twoface from Batman Forever, who I think we can all agree is a much less nuanced and interesting character than say The Batman Animated series version. The reason that Two Face is interesting as a character is the fact that it's still possible to glimpse the rare moments of sanity and that there still is a good person buried under all those (physical and mental) scars.

I'd basically argue it would be better described as "Twoface becomes a fully fledged personality and becomes a full-time criminal."

I mean if you watch Two Face Part 2 and then compare it to say Shadow of the Bat in the first one you could argue that it's a twisted, desperate Harvey Dent who is trying to accomplish a good end through the bad means (effectively becoming a gangster who preys on other gangsters) but in Shadow of the Bat he' no longer seeking any sort of redemption and is even willing to try and frame his former friends like Gordon.

Sorry for using Animated Series for reference so much, been listening to the Arkham Sessions podcast (if you want to spend hours listing to an actual psychologist and a big batman fan discuss the mental health of Batman characters, why are you not already listening to them http://www.underthemaskonline.com/the-arkham-sessions/ so they're very fresh in my mind.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

You could use Paridon.

I don't mean Paridon as developed in later fanon, or even later canon, not necessarily so. Take the Black Box as the basis and selectively incorporate whatever later stuff one likes, ignoring or altering what does not fit.

Taking the entry in the Black Box as a starting point:

1)Sodo is the lord, but his identity remains unknown to the people. He's a doppelganger. Kills with a surgical blade.
That's about it.

2)Paridon is ''grimy'' and afflicted by ''hunger, crime, and disease.''
A sharp class divide exists.

3)Note that there is land around the city. The domain is Zherisia; Paridon is the city. it's mostly taken up by farms, but even so the food production barely meets demands (more plausible than the isolated city, IMO).

4)No indigenous monsters, but undead of lycanthropes might come out of the Mists.
The text suggests that humans are the bad guys here, and indeed, the monsters.

------

All that sounds really good for Batman in Ravenloft, if you ask me.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

jamesfirecat wrote: My only quibble here is "Harvey Dent is lost as Twoface takes control and becomes a full-time criminal." And that quibble I supposed is based on one possible reading of it.

If you ever ditch Harvey Dent completely, then you wind up with Twoface from Batman Forever, who I think we can all agree is a much less nuanced and interesting character than say The Batman Animated series version. The reason that Two Face is interesting as a character is the fact that it's still possible to glimpse the rare moments of sanity and that there still is a good person buried under all those (physical and mental) scars.

I'd basically argue it would be better described as "Twoface becomes a fully fledged personality and becomes a full-time criminal."

I mean if you watch Two Face Part 2 and then compare it to say Shadow of the Bat in the first one you could argue that it's a twisted, desperate Harvey Dent who is trying to accomplish a good end through the bad means (effectively becoming a gangster who preys on other gangsters) but in Shadow of the Bat he' no longer seeking any sort of redemption and is even willing to try and frame his former friends like Gordon.
Very good points. you are correct.
Sorry for using Animated Series for reference so much, been listening to the Arkham Sessions podcast (if you want to spend hours listing to an actual psychologist and a big batman fan discuss the mental health of Batman characters, why are you not already listening to them http://www.underthemaskonline.com/the-arkham-sessions/ so they're very fresh in my mind.
Awesome link! A book you might like is Batman and Psychology: A Dark and Stormy Night, by Travis Landley, that discusses the psychology of various Batman characters. And no worries on BTAS references. I took a lot of my inspiration on Twoface from it.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:You could use Paridon.

I don't mean Paridon as developed in later fanon, or even later canon, not necessarily so. Take the Black Box as the basis and selectively incorporate whatever later stuff one likes, ignoring or altering what does not fit.
I would add in Nosos and maybe Immerabt (from Undead Sea Scrolls 2002) as it allows a lot of the greedy corporate type elements like Roland Daggett, Max Shrek, Gothcorp etc. I'd also throw in the occasional Lamordian-style mad scientist/dread crafter as you get a lot of sci-fi elements too (Clayface, the Werewolf [likely something akin of Vjorn Horstman's sreations], Mr. Freeze, etc.).
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

The Lesser Evil wrote: I would add in Nosos and maybe Immerabt (from Undead Sea Scrolls 2002) as it allows a lot of the greedy corporate type elements like Roland Daggett, Max Shrek, Gothcorp etc. I'd also throw in the occasional Lamordian-style mad scientist/dread crafter as you get a lot of sci-fi elements too (Clayface, the Werewolf [likely something akin of Vjorn Horstman's sreations], Mr. Freeze, etc.).
Clayface might be one of Paridon's native dopplegangers (or the only one in there besides Sodo if you don't want there to be a bunch of them.)

Man-Bat/Kirk Langstrom falls neatly into the exact same Vjorn Horstman style temporary lycanthropy mix.

Also technically if you have Tygrus you probably have some of Markov's work showing up as well.

That said my brother made a joke once that went like this.

"There are exactly two origin stories for Batman villains... 1: Mad Scientist, 2: Workplace accident."

It's not 100% accurate, but you'd be surprised just how many it covers.