Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Three

Post by alhoon »

THE RAID
Adam wrote: "Let us just be certain that we find a sample of this poison, madam," he chirps in, "Else I'm not certain I'll be able to concoct a cure. "
Termelan looks alarmed at this as he turns concerned to Safana.
"Madam, haven't you been given an antidote already? I thought you have been cured. I don't want to seem as if I underestimate you, trust me I do not, but are you fit enough to fight?"
To the alchemist he turns and asks
"What are the long term effects of this poison? Is it some passing weakness or... more serious side effects?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE RAID

Priestess Idele interrupts.
"We don't know what it is., so we can't make an antidote. I've performed rites to slow its progress and the god's servants have answered the invocation. But removing the poison from her body is beyond what power I can call upon. And I don't know if someone who can perform the proper rituals will arrive before the poison begins to act upon her body again. "
The young woman in red robes fixes a level gaze on Termelan. Her mouth quirks down in a slight frown.
" Master Cranstel is a fine apothecary. I know him and I value his expertise. I don't know you. "
She looks up and down at Termelan's armor, weapons, and clothing.
"You aren't one of Sir Gunnar's band. Are you some sort of mercenary?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan takes an apologetic tone.
"I apologize madam. I didn't mean to demean Master Cranstel's expertise. I apologize for any inappropriate comment. I just wanted to inquire about madam Safana's health and benefit for Master Cranstel's expertise as to what effects the poison may had, without meaning to imply any lack of skill.

As for who I am, I'm Termelan. A traveler. I'm not here for a reward so I don't consider myself a mercenary. I helped sir Gunnar yesterday and he requested my presence. So I came as it is proper to heed the call of a man of his station while he defends the city that I am a guest at. I assume that I've been called to assist in an attack against the enemies of the duchy, the hoodies and I'll follow commands of Sir Gunnar to the best of my abilities.
I'm a licensed bard from the city state of Fazetta, so I can sing paeans that will lift the spirit and bolster morale of those in our side."

It is quite clear by his actions and stance, that Termelan is afraid of the priestess, not just in awe of her power or respectful of her station.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Termelan takes an apologetic tone.
"I apologize madam. I didn't mean to demean Master Cranstel's expertise. I apologize for any inappropriate comment. I just wanted to inquire about madam Safana's health and benefit for Master Cranstel's expertise as to what effects the poison may had, without meaning to imply any lack of skill.

As for who I am, I'm Termelan. A traveler. I'm not here for a reward so I don't consider myself a mercenary. I helped sir Gunnar yesterday and he requested my presence. So I came as it is proper to heed the call of a man of his station while he defends the city that I am a guest at. I assume that I've been called to assist in an attack against the enemies of the duchy, the hoodies and I'll follow commands of Sir Gunnar to the best of my abilities.
I'm a licensed bard from the city state of Fazetta, so I can sing paeans that will lift the spirit and bolster morale of those in our side."

It is quite clear by his actions and stance, that Termelan is afraid of the priestess, not just in awe of her power or respectful of her station.
The young priestess' expression softens.
" Oh, a foreigner. I see. We all share your concern for Safana, good minstrel. "
She fishes in her satchel a moment and brings forth little clay jug.
"You sound a touch hoarse. You ought to have some of this resinous tea."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

THE RAID

Cranstel holds up an apologetic hand. "Fear not," he says, "I take no insult. This toxin has eluded me, but if the raid is successful, perhaps we can find a treatment soon."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana raises an eyebrow slightly as the three discuss her, but merely looks slightly amused.

"I am fully confident in Priestess Idele's and Master Cranstons ability. And in any case, I do not fight quite as energetically as a warrior does. I'll be fine!"

She smiles warmly at him and turns to the other two.

"And don't worry about Termalan here, he's a friend of mine."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

THE RAID

"Well then, yes, let's be on with it once the troops are ready."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote:"You sound a touch hoarse. You ought to have some of this resinous tea."
Termelan smiles, not very convincingly and gives a small bow. "You are very kind madam priestess. But my voice sounds a bit hoarse because of my accent, I assure you. No need to waste that tea on me, madam. Perhaps save it for someone else that needs it more."
My DMGuild work!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

SEARCHERS

Renn offers a gruff laugh. "It seems our troubles are still ahead of us, but no matter. A group of children, you say? Then that's where we should go. Our friend The Huntsman can fend for himself, I think. If we find him with the children, great. But if not, such is the wheel of fate."

He tries not to let his relief show when The Brown Knight decides against holding them all ransom. "You're a man of honor, we won't forget that. But don't let Roald's modesty fool you. We were hard pressed behind those walls until the Siegebreaker here showed up. If any man's liable to not get his guts ripped out by old Red Rack, I'd say Roald's got a good, solid, fifty-fifty shot."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE RAID
Priestess Idele stows the container.
"I'll save it for another, then. "
She looks about at the nearest of Gunnar's warband.

Three of the men lean against the wall of a building, cloaks covering their armor and weapons, passing a mug among their number. They can observe the alley along the side of the Three Penny and the street side front door from that spot.

The party is aware that a larger number of well armed men stand ready, concealed (from the vantage of any observers in the Three Penny) at other locations nearby.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:SEARCHERS

Renn offers a gruff laugh. "It seems our troubles are still ahead of us, but no matter. A group of children, you say? Then that's where we should go. Our friend The Huntsman can fend for himself, I think. If we find him with the children, great. But if not, such is the wheel of fate."

He tries not to let his relief show when The Brown Knight decides against holding them all ransom. "You're a man of honor, we won't forget that. But don't let Roald's modesty fool you. We were hard pressed behind those walls until the Siegebreaker here showed up. If any man's liable to not get his guts ripped out by old Red Rack, I'd say Roald's got a good, solid, fifty-fifty shot."
"I can't keep my men up here to help you. But as I said before, stay with us, rest, recover your strength. I'll send some scouts with you to pint out the general area the peddler said he saw the knife ears with the human children. After that, it's all up to you, Sir."

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Searchers

Roald lets out a long breath he didn't realize he was holding. "Well, I do say that I hate awkward silences at dinner." He takes a morsel from the table and chews it purposefully. "In regards to Old Red-Rack, I think I'd revise those odds upward." He nods to Renn. "I would be sure to arrange to have a friend sneak up behind him while I held his attention."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Searchers

Roald lets out a long breath he didn't realize he was holding. "Well, I do say that I hate awkward silences at dinner." He takes a morsel from the table and chews it purposefully. "In regards to Old Red-Rack, I think I'd revise those odds upward." He nods to Renn. "I would be sure to arrange to have a friend sneak up behind him while I held his attention."
Sir Egremore says,"If you truly mean to hunt the demon, my men can show you the site of its last known kill."
He nibbles some trout.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

SEARCHERS

Renn scratches his chin. "Could be an interesting addition to my titles," he tells Roald. "Captain of the Guard. Hero of the North. Backstabber of Demonic Ruminants." But I'm not eager to hunt the beast--I'd rather be prepared should it hunt us.

He turns to Sir Edgemore. "You spoke of your late liege, the Lady of Silverhill? I'd like to know more of her, if it please you."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:SEARCHERS

Renn scratches his chin. "Could be an interesting addition to my titles," he tells Roald. "Captain of the Guard. Hero of the North. Backstabber of Demonic Ruminants." But I'm not eager to hunt the beast--I'd rather be prepared should it hunt us.

He turns to Sir Edgemore. "You spoke of your late liege, the Lady of Silverhill? I'd like to know more of her, if it please you."
The robber knight says,
"The lady Aithne ruled the town of Silverhill in the province of Dhalaese
VIEW CONTENT:
OOC any PC from Tuornen, or well travelled in the region, recognizes the province name as signifying that portion of Boeruine's dominions that lies across the Seamists from Monsedge and Ghonallison
. She owned rich mines there and thick stands of timber. She was kind, fair, just. We all loved her.
Her kinsmen wanted her to marry again, but she held off for the best match.

I began in her service as a common soldier and rose to knighthood. My duty was to guard the miners and woodcutters from monsters and brigands of the mountains. Me and the men - a few are still with me- beat back all foes. All but the last . "
He sighs.
" I've told that much. I might as well tell the rest, so you don't believe any lying tales you might have heard of me.
Carados, the son of a coastal lord, came to Silverhill with fine gifts and words of friendship. He wooed our lady and won her heart. They married in the late autumn. "
Egremore fingers the haft so his great axe.
" One night early in winter, deep snow, someone opened the gate. The gnolls came in, killed the watchmen, and fired the palisade. After that it was bloody hell. I ordered some of my men to get the women and children to safety while I led a picked band to the hold, to fetch out our lady. But Carados was there, pulling a ring from her dead hand. I went for him, but he had a helper I had missed. A hairy goblin, one of the big sneaky kind. Bashed me. My helmet saved my life. When I came to in the forest, the survivors told me how Carados had escaped in the fighting, vanishing in a cloud of smoke like a devil. "
The knight sips his beer before continuing.
" I ordered the men to take the people to the nearest lord's manor and seek help or service there. And then I went looking for Carados. It took a year, but I found him in the capital. I cut off his head. And then it happened... The beard vanished, his eyes turned from blue to green, and the ears grew pointed. He was never a true man at all, but an elfin changeling! I...used some help...to learn more about him. I know he came from the Tower of Thorns."
He sets down his empty mug.
" But I committed some crimes in my hunt. So I can't return home."