Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Four

Post by RocEter »

The searchers, the Bard.

"I think I will pass on the trouble, for now at least." The Bard says.

"Not one for moving rocks, that sort of work is best suited for menfolk." She says. "I can play a lovely tune on my flute though, if you like."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:The searchers, the Bard.

"Not one for moving rocks, that sort of work is best suited for menfolk." She says. "I can play a lovely tune on my flute though, if you like."
Sir Boarhort says,

"Of course! This is work for men, not a lady. And music, hmmm. Music helps men work. Like a rower's chant."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:The searchers, the Bard.

Sir Boarhort says,

"Of course! This is work for men, not a lady. And music, hmmm. Music helps men work. Like a rower's chant."
The Bard nods her head in agreement, with a half smile on her face. She pulls her flute free from her bag.

"I don't know any songs for working, but I do recall a song from my childhood before my time in the wode." She says.

The Bard begins to play the song. Her mask of cheerfulness slips to one of sorrow and loss as she plays. The song itself isn't a sad tune though.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Searchers

Roald taps Reece on the shoulder. "You keep a lookout while we work. You see anything weird, you put a bolt in it and then raise the alarm."

He then turns to the cave-in and cracks his knuckles. "And here I thought my manual labor days were over with."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CAER HAES

Termelan examines the pewter statuette.
VIEW CONTENT:
The minstrel sees something familiar in this piece of grotesque art: an obese manlike thing with ram horns and bat wings. But where has he seen such an image? Does the creature depicted have a name? Is it some fanciful beast or a real entity? Termelan concentrates as he was taught in the academy, focusing for a minute on each salient feature of the statuette.
He closes his eyes and blanks his thoughts. An old, half forgotten memory comes to him. He sees a dreamlike image of a huge stone face topped by horns, with a gaping mouth. The opening resembles a cave. Robed figures enter the mouth , carrying a bloated corpse on a litter.
And the the image vanishes. He tries, but he can't bring up any other strong or clear associations.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE SEARCHERS

Clearing the hole proves difficult and time consuming.More rocks show beneath every successive layer pulled away.And as the men grow wearied, they drop or kick stones back in by accident.
The job takes all morning and well into the afternoon, but the bruised and sweaty men at last can sit down around a ten foot deep hole, three feet wide, that opens into a deeper passage underground. The lower passage stops after a few yards, sealed with a green bronze hatchway covered in runes.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan returns the statuette with a frown of distaste. He describes what he remembers, the half-forgotten memory he picked up, of the cave mouth, of the robbed figures.
He seems concerned but not surprised. "I believe the Crone is affiliated with a fiendish cult. Those not born with power to do True Magic seek other ways to attain it. The undead horrors, the poison, the creeping, burrowing maggots... while I'm not familiar with this cult I am not in the least surprised by their methods.
I'm afraid this statuette is a strong indication, if not proof, that the hoodies are not a band of vagabonds and nationalists out to make trouble but part of a scheme of something deeper and more sinister whether they know it or not. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:THE SEARCHERS

Clearing the hole proves difficult and time consuming.More rocks show beneath every successive layer pulled away.And as the men grow wearied, they drop or kick stones back in by accident.
The job takes all morning and well into the afternoon, but the bruised and sweaty men at last can sit down around a ten foot deep hole, three feet wide, that opens into a deeper passage underground. The lower passage stops after a few yards, sealed with a green bronze hatchway covered in runes.
Searchers

Roald falls back on his haunches. "Seriously?!"

He stands up and lights a torch. He thrusts the torch through the hole to get a look at the runes
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert frowns and shows the stauette to Princess Adelle.

"Have you ever seen or heard something about this? And what cam we do against fiends,if there is any around of course. Maybe we should pay a visit to the elf we captured with the Crone. What do you think?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CAER HAES

Priestess Idele examines the statuette.

"It certainly looks ugly. Let me think..."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:CAER HAES

Priestess Idele examines the statuette.

"It certainly looks ugly. Let me think..."

After a moment of silence, she says,
" I believe that the minstrel is right, and that this statuette represents one of the Powers of Darkness "
She makes a sign with her holy symbol.
The priestess sets the hideous idol on the table.
" I must report this to my superiors. Right now. Excuse me while I send a message. I will be back before all the others get here, I hope."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana quietly enters the room, still looking a little pale. She seats herself at the back of the room, quietly as if trying not to disturb the meeting.

Her eyes flick to the statue and she examines it carefully
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:THE SEARCHERS

Searchers

Roald falls back on his haunches. "Seriously?!"

He stands up and lights a torch. He thrusts the torch through the hole to get a look at the runes
Searchers

The Bard will also join Roald in examining the dwarf runes.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan tenses when Safana enters. He avoids looking at her directly and doesn't address her unless she speaks to him in which case he's polite, laconic, respectful and looks at her shoes and not her face. He certainly reacts to her differently than his jovial, friendly manner less than a week ago.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

SEARCHERS

Renn wipes sweat from his brow, and looks down at the hatchway. "So not a beast's lair then, maybe not because of Red Rack, but because it's used by someone else, perhaps?" He peers into the torchlit hatchway to get a better look.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights