Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Four

Post by Adam »

Cormac snorts a bit in derision as the Bard excuses herself from the work, thinking what the females of his homeland would have to say about that, but joins in regardless

As the door become revealed, he nods in appreciation at the door. "Aye, looks like we're on to somethin' now. Question is, how do we open it?"

He looks for any hinges, locks, or other obvious places to disassemble the door and gain them entrance.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

MEETING

Cranstel stands up and pulls out Safana's chair for her, as she enters the room, looking concerned at her gaunt appearance.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE BRONZE DOOR

Renn kneels near the door, examining it along with Cormac.
He finds a keyhole while the Druid rubs away some dirt and verdigris to reveal the hinges.

After Renn oils the lock mechanism with the last bit of the oil he took from the mine cart area (days ago) he crams a bent wire into the hole and twists it about.
Something clicks. The door vibrates just a little.

Trying the rim of the hatch, the captain finds it gives way opening outward.
Renn tugs the door.
The verdigris coated hinges groan as the hatch cover swings clear.

Beyond the bronze portal a tunnel -staircase runs down at a thirty degree angle.
The party's torch does not shine far enough to show the end.

The passage smells a little foul and stale, but the torch does not change color if thirst in and the air seems breathable.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:
Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:THE SEARCHERS

Clearing the hole proves difficult and time consuming.More rocks show beneath every successive layer pulled away.And as the men grow wearied, they drop or kick stones back in by accident.
The job takes all morning and well into the afternoon, but the bruised and sweaty men at last can sit down around a ten foot deep hole, three feet wide, that opens into a deeper passage underground. The lower passage stops after a few yards, sealed with a green bronze hatchway covered in runes.
Searchers

Roald falls back on his haunches. "Seriously?!"

He stands up and lights a torch. He thrusts the torch through the hole to get a look at the runes
Searchers

The Bard will also join Roald in examining the dwarf runes.

While Cormac and Renn work on opening the door, the Bard and Roald try to read the runes.

It is a tight fit with everyone crowding in like this, but by taking turns looking at the door and by tucking in elbows, the party manages.

After looking over the doorway runes and conferring amongst themselves , the Bard and Roald have agreed about the likely meaning of the runes.

MINES OF ALBERIK

The Bard recalls that a dwarf king called Alberich or ALBERIK once ruled a Realm in the SeaMists. But that was long before she was born, and only fragmentary accounts remain. These dwarves had maintained old ties to the elves, frayed but not cut by the events of the War of Shadow. Legend tells that the SeaMist dwarves helped to convince many elves to switch sides at Deismaar by displaying ancient tokens of friendship between the two races.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MEETING

SAFANA

Safana gets a bad feeling just from touching the statuette. Her skin itches, her stomach knots, and her mouth dries.
The goat head seems to change just a little out of the corner of her eye while she examines the wings. Its expression has shifted from a baleful glare to an open mouthed leer.
But when she blinks and looks again, it appears as it has before.

No one else notices anything odd happening with , or to, the pewter statuette as Safana examines it.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana sits down in the chair Cranstel provides with a warm smile of thanks, and casts another smile over to Termalan along with a slightly saucy wink. She seems to interpret his less enthusiastic reaction as nervousness with the company, and smiles sympathetically, before turning her attention to the statuette.

After a brief examination, she sets it down and steps away.

"What a remarkably repellent object. I do not recognise the entity, but it is unquestionably magical, and probably either directly possessed or a conduit that the being can communicate through. I do not think it is wise to conduct any discussions in its presence. Our words might... carry further than we might want. I would be inclined to put it in a holy place, and have it exorcised, actually."

She sits down, giving it a slightly uneasy stare
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan, looks around at the companions, searching their reactions, before saying, somewhat alarmed "Did we bring a cursed, unholy object in his Grace's residence? I know its not my place to make suggestions in such matters of magic and corruption and I don't want to step on any toes but... I think we should remove it from here and fast, before his highness steps close to it.

I gather from your reactions and the kindness your liege has showen, that bringing this object here without knowledge of its unholy properties nor malice won't lead to a significant punishment or penalty. But now we know this to be a potentially dangerous, magical item. As I said, I don't know the laws and procedures about this kind of thing and I apologize if I offended anyone with my suggestions."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Having been quiet thus far, Domenica clears her thtroat.

"Pardon me. I just want to get this straight. You brought an evil, dangerous and magical item here, into the palace, the home of the Duke himself. And this, without
having verified the item in question beforehand. . So," standing, and looking at Sir Rory "without thought for his safety and anyone else's for that matter, a dangerous
statuette is now here in his home. Sir Rory, with your permission, I would like to take this item to the Temple, where they can properly deal with it. Thus the Duke, and
everyone here, will be safe and hopefully protected from any further danger and harm.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert nods in agreement at both Termelan and Domenica's words.

"I didn't know that was an evil magical item, thought it was just sinister but we should definitely get it to the Temple and ask to have it checked. Maybe if we are lucky we find out more about its owner."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan looks at Domenica with a momentary frown as she tries to make clear that she had no blame in the current situation but doesn't comment.
When Filbert agrees the item to be moved, he adds. "I would like to come along. Could you please ask Lady Safana to accompany us if she agrees? If it is in her convenience, I would consider myself blessed to have a word with her and you." he says to the Halfling, with Safana standing less than 10' away from him.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CAER HAES

Sir Rory says to Filbert,
"You could entrust the task to your servant." He gestures towards Termelan. " But if you wish, we may call a short break for you and the lady. " His eyes flick towards Dominica and he inclines his head to her.
The Castellan looks to the door."Sir Gunnar should arrive very soon. I need to gain all his information and advice. We must not share all that now, or we go into battle unprepared."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan looks at Filbert "Sir Filbert, if you think it prudent, remind sir Gunnar and his grace about the strange maggots that the undead were covered with I can provide more information if needed after I'm done with this task."
As an afterthought he adds "I am easily recognized and there's magic easily available that can track an object. The remaining hoodies, may attempt to attack me for the statuette. Could you perhaps ask one of your personal guards to accompany me?"
My DMGuild work!
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

The evening before the castellan has called his meeting, the acting Captain of the Guard has asked to speak to with Gunnar about the elf prisoner . Gunnar has come to the watch house to see what he wants .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:The evening before the castellan has called his meeting, the acting Captain of the Guard has asked to speak to with Gunnar about the elf prisoner . Gunnar has come to the watch house to see what he wants .

THE EVENING BEFORE

Sergeant Ghilly invites Sir Gunnar into Rhennalt Ghonallison's office, which teh Aregents has taken over in his master's absence.

The old veteran says,
"Sir Gunnar, bad news. The elf won't talk, even though he cut his rations and shoved him around a bit. I sent a request to the palace, asking for a torture warrant. Turned down."
The man frowns. " My orders are that my men do not harm him without such a warrant. But I am also ordered to get him to talk, and threatened with ' consequences' should I fail. Bit of a bind, eh?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:CAER HAES

Sir Rory says to Filbert,
"You could entrust the task to your servant." He gestures towards Termelan. " But if you wish, we may call a short break for you and the lady. " His eyes flick towards Dominica and he inclines his head to her.
The Castellan looks to the door."Sir Gunnar should arrive very soon. I need to gain all his information and advice. We must not share all that now, or we go into battle unprepared."
Domenica looks to Filbert, nodding as well. "Shall we?" Turning to Sir Rory and the others "We shall return shortly." She moves to exit the room.