POVERO Campaign OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: P N Elrod

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote: That could be a ranger maybe with no social skills and not the smartest guy or an obnoxious not wise wizard :P
Those sound fun.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

We already have a rogue and a wizard so I would say better try a ranger or a fighter.

Are there rangers in 2nd edition? Is there survival skill or something like that to track?

The PC will look like Aragorn from LOTR so black hair shoulder length, blue eyes, and 2-3 days beard. Wears green cloak and has bow and sword (if we have that much money...)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:We already have a rogue and a wizard so I would say better try a ranger or a fighter.

Are there rangers in 2nd edition? Is there survival skill or something like that to track?
1 Yes, there are Rangers.

2 His scores don't meet the requirements

3 I am using NWPs, so survival and tracking are skills he can take. A ranger tracks better than any other class, as a rule.

4 I will allow kits if people like. I am using a relatively low powered rolling method, so a bit of cheese from a kit hardly seems likely to wreck play balance.
Kits need approval. Several warrior kits ( suitable for fighters, Rangers, and Paladins) grant some outdoorsy skills.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

[dice]0[/dice]
Times ten

Warrior money
80 gold starting

( I may convert to a silver standard before play begins, but just assume PHB prices and coin values for now. 80 isn't bad.
I do not bother charging for a basic outfit.

Studded leather is 20 g.p.

Short bow is 30 g.p.

A dozen arrows is 3 silver ( 3/10 gold piece)

What kind of sword do you want?

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Right second is 12 not 15 let me think about it,

Cleric with widom 9?
That is the minimum.

I'd go fighter.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Fighter it is and I'd try a kit with track if it there is one.

Long sword would be nice and armor depends on the price, how much is the chain?

I don't have 2nd PHB that's why I can't find the prices.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Fighter it is and I'd try a kit with track if it there is one.

Long sword would be nice and armor depends on the price maybe a chain.
Mail armor is pretty much out of his price range, assuming he also wants a sword and bow.

That could be a goal in play: get better armor.

Long sword is 15.

15 for sword, 30 for bow, 20 for the most protective armor can can afford = 65

80 - 65 = 15 left for arrows and everything else

These are just suggestions.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Another way to make a ranger-like character is play a thief with the Scout Kit.
Scouts suffer a -5% to thief class special skills in cities. That would impair him in parts of the adventure.
On the other hand, scouts get tracking and direction sense as bonus NWPs.
They also gain improved stealth and chance to surprise in the wild.

There is no reason why you can't play a thief with a 15 STR and a 12 DEX.

A scout can use a long sword and a bow, no problem.
Ditto light armor.

If you want more combat ability and less sneaking about and ambushing, a fighter is the way to go.
Specialization with a weapon is an option.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Fighter it is and I'd try a kit with track if it there is one.

Long sword would be nice and armor depends on the price, how much is the chain?

I don't have 2nd PHB that's why I can't find the prices.
Chain = 75 gp

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Starting thief funds

[dice]0[/dice]
Times ten

Maxed out!

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Quick word on kits:

This is not an "anything goes" game. 2E has a number of broken kits, IMO.
Rather than waste time wading through splatbooks, I will just share my guidelines:

1 is this more powerful than the base class? Or is it just different? One or two extra NWPs is not way more powerful.

2 Will the hindrance come into play? How? Does it make extra work for the DM? Does it offset the special bennies in a reasonable fashion?
Any kit that gives bennies, including bonus NWPs, without a special hindrance is not going to see use.

3 Does it make sense for the setting?

4 Will it mesh well with what others are playing?

Please note that I am restricting kits to single classed characters. Multi-class guys already gain cheese by combining classes.

I may be a bit tighter about some of this than I was in BR. Not much, just a wee bit. This isn't quite so high powered a campaign.

If nobody bothers with these, I will ignore them entirely. Kits are in no way necessary for the game to run well; I just thought people might enjoy a few additional options.

And if we do use kits, I think I will test a house rule:

A single class character with no kit gets one free slot to be used on a general group NWP proficiency.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I'm a flip through the Complete Thief's Handbook. A pickpocket type kit might interest me, if you allow it, ewan. Don't know all the kits in there ;)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:I'm a flip through the Complete Thief's Handbook. A pickpocket type kit might interest me, if you allow it, ewan. Don't know all the kits in there ;)
Cutpurse might interest you.

The hindrance is a bit hazy and the benefit is a bit strong, but that can be finessed.
The kit represents pickpockets, shop lifters/ filchers, and the like.

I think it could be a " hooker" , too. Not a harlot, but the thief who reaches through windows with a hooked pole and steals stuff.
That was a real historical specialization in England at one time. And the poles are in the Complete a Thief's Handbook.

So are little razors for slicing pockets and purses. Fun.

You might also check out the sleight of hand NWP from Dragon magazine. It grants a bonus to pick pockets for conjuring tricks and holdout.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Another way to track is to buy a bloodhound and sink a slot into animal training.
The dog then can sniff stuff out for you.
Indeed, you don't even need that NWP if you bought a trained animal.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

That's cool! How much this trained dog costs?

I like the idea of thief with a kit better than a fighter and I like backstab :D might get a kit that provides local NWP and gather info as has Filbert. So he can be useful both in woods and in the city.
- W H A T ! ? !