ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:
THE AULD OAK
ERIN HUNTER says,

''We should take all but a few men of what we have available here, now, and immediately go to Elf Hill. The small reserve can remain here as backup, and to direct other militia toward Elf Hill as needed. But I'm all for a quick shift of force to the Hill. And if we have any magicians, priests, experts of other sorts--we'd better bring those to the fore."

Satisfied, Domenica replies. "Very well then. I Leave it to you to decide who stays as I do not know these citizens. I shall wait by the door with GIMP and Rolf. Will you be joining us?"

ERIN says,

"Yes, I'll lead the militia. The Sheriff is out gathering more men. He will be in charge of the reserve when he gets back. Until then--"
She turns and calls to the bar.
"Brennan, ho! You're an acting sarjent now. Pick ten of the militia to remain with you."

Brennan, the ruddy-faced innkeeper, wastes no time in calling out a group as a reserve. It's nearly all boys and old men.

Erin then turns to the larger gathering. "Alright, men, fall in behind your chosen leaders and all come with me. We're marching only a short way. To Elf Hill.'"

Some of the men make signs against evil, clutch amulets, or whisper prayers.
Other remain silent as they gather into lines.

Erin says, "I know the spooky reputation of that place. And it may live up to it this evening. But I also know the good reputation of Elevesnemiere men and trust you'll live up to that, whatever betide. Let's get moving. Leaders report to me out front in five minutes."

Without further ado, the young lady strides out of the Auld Oak Common room , toward the yard out front where horses are picketed.

The militia begin hurried preparation for a march. As everyone expected orders fairly soon, this takes less time than it would; have taken otherwise. Men snatch up their knapsacks, buckle on swords or heft other weapons, and move towards the front door.

Late arrivals and the freelancers ( a rag tag bunch of hunters, tinkers, armed vagrants and the like) gather around Rennault and his companions. (A small group has already gathered around Rennault Ghonallison.)
Others look to Roald, Cormac, and Foerde for direction.
Someone calls out ''Hey, Foerde is back! And his friend, the Northman hunter!"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

When they get back to the hill, DOmenica gathers her men and reports to Erin. "We are here to help as best we can. I am obviously not a fighter but am decent enough

with a whip or bow, milady. Vollmar and Finn can fight. Smitty hereis good with horses or animals."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

OUTSIDE THE AULD OAK

Rennault just barely manages not to grin when he sees the group clustering around him. "Looks like we showed up just in time. Wouldn't wanted to miss out on this." Turning to the gathering crowd, he asks, "Now, who can tell me about this witch?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:OUTSIDE THE AULD OAK

Rennault just barely manages not to grin when he sees the group clustering around him. "Looks like we showed up just in time. Wouldn't wanted to miss out on this." Turning to the gathering crowd, he asks, "Now, who can tell me about this witch?"
Somebody in the back mumbles,
"I heard she turned a guy into a newt."

Some of the other men only shrug. "We don't know much", says the man with the bill hook. "Only that she must be evil. She's a witch, after all. Better watch out for her black magic!"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:When they get back to the hill, DOmenica gathers her men and reports to Erin. "We are here to help as best we can. I am obviously not a fighter but am decent enough

with a whip or bow, milady. Vollmar and Finn can fight. Smitty hereis good with horses or animals."
DM NOTE

THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED YET.

The group has not reached Elf Hill so quickly.
I will edit this and respond to Steve's post at the appropriate time.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

EARLIER...
AT ELF HILL

GUNNAR has just returned from a chore. He was occupied a short distance from the site under surveillance, at the wagon of a tinker and horse Doctor who replaced a loose shoe of his warhorse, Rumbles.
(His presence was necessary to keep Rumbles calm. The animal has been acting funny today. Even Gunnar's squire has had trouble.)

Returning from the roadside , Gunnar sees a black cloud hovering low over Elf Hill.
His men and those working for DOMENICA remain in their positions, keeping low and behind cover.

As gets a little closer, he spots DAENE headed towards him, bent low and jogging.
The woodsman stops and kneels at Gunnar's side.
He speaks in a high whisper,
"Sir, weird stuff is going on up there! One of the lady's men went to the roadhouse where she went for backup, to tell her and see if the militia are coming soon.I was just about to come for you when I saw you returning."

Rumbles snorts and stamps.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:FALCON'S ROOST

kintire wrote:
SAFANA: Council with Caine

She bows deeply as the archmage enters.

"I have learnt a little since my arrival here, my Lord, but I fear my knowledge is still slight..."

''Something strange is happening in regard to the meghbhaill in Western Tuornen since at least last night. I couldn't be sure until this morning's castings and readings, though. There's a discernible building up of dark, corrupt essence, oozing along the ley lines...
My divinations and charts indicate the manifestation of all this is forming now in Elevesnemiere province. That's dangerously close to the Manslayer's country. This may be his doing. Or perhaps not. But I think it serves my interest as well as your to send someone to go and find out what is happening. Opinions?"

(Note, Filbert and TERMELAN are assumed to be also present)

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Oh, aye, we found Gael," Cormac says, "He's with the other two."

He looks up as the militia is heading out front. "Looks like we're on the move. Ye comin' with to hunt this witch-lady?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Oh, aye, we found Gael," Cormac says, "He's with the other two."

He looks up as the militia is heading out front. "Looks like we're on the move. Ye comin' with to hunt this witch-lady?"
(She)

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Falcon's roost

Filbert frowns as he does everytime he hears Manslayer's name. The Duke for sure will be intrested in that so he decides to go and check and the report to him and the Archmage.

"This is bad. Mylord, I think my job here is done, we have already taken enough of your precious time seeking your advise and reading the books at your library. I believe we have set the bases for a strong alliance between yourself and Tuornen. I'm ready to go in Elevesnemiere and check out what is going on myself and then report back to you."

Turning to Termelan and Safana asks:

"Do you want to live another adventure and serve your Duke? I plan to leave immediately."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

VAN wrote:Falcon's roost
"Do you want to live another adventure and serve your Duke? I plan to leave immediately."
"Something dark and evil is happening, tied to magic, next to the state of an Archmage that is by all accounts, sworn to wipe us all out? That feels like home! I'll accompany you of course Lord Filbert. It will give me a chance to see more of this side of the world. Will we go through the shadows again?"
Termelan replied, seeming elated by the prospect of a dangerous mission.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Adam wrote:"Oh, aye, we found Gael," Cormac says, "She's with the other two."

"Thank you, for all you have done." He says.

Foerde's eyes follow the militia as the head out the door. "Witch? Is that what this is all about?" He says. "Yes, but first I would like to see Gael. I will join and you others out front. I will have to travel by foot unless you can find me horse."

He looks around the now, mostly empty Road House, for Gael. Once he spots her, he will go over to her.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana pauses for a moment, perhaps to consider what the right answer may be, perhaps in slight confusion at the unfamiliar geography!

"If my poor skills can be of some assistance in this matter I would be honored to accompany the group, master. I am sure I would be able to give you a full report on the phenomena, as well as perhaps assist?"

She adopts a pose of eagerness, although she cannot entirely cover her nervousness at the Archmage's description of the problem...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Safana pauses for a moment, perhaps to consider what the right answer may be, perhaps in slight confusion at the unfamiliar geography!

"If my poor skills can be of some assistance in this matter I would be honored to accompany the group, master. I am sure I would be able to give you a full report on the phenomena, as well as perhaps assist?"

She adopts a pose of eagerness, although she cannot entirely cover her nervousness at the Archmage's description of the problem...
FALCON'S ROOST

"I need to remain here. But you may go and investigate. Bring me back first hand observations of the site. If my crying and calculations are correct, it ought to center at a site of key line crossings. Very likely an old stone circle and mound known as Elf Hill. How quickly can you get to Elevesnemiere?"

He glances at Filbert.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert tilts his head a bit calculating the distance.

"Well, I cannot be certain but trust me I will try to get us there as soon as possible, I know how important this is. Can I see a map please? I need to find the fastest way for this province and the exact spot."

Turning to Termelan says:

"I guess so, travel that way is really fast. Now get ready, we need to hurry."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!