Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Post by Adam »

ELF HILL

Cormac nods at the idea of raiding the place in disguise. "I've nae had much call to fight the dead, but do we think tha' zombies'll be fooled by the costumes?"

He looks over skeptically at the skinny apothecary. "I'm nae sure all of us are up fer fightin' monsters.

Cranstel sniffs, turning his nose up. "I'll have you know, sir, I am perfectly capable of defending myself. My arcane arts and my wit will see me through."

Cormac shakes his head, doubtful.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Tower of the Hunt

Roald departed the Tower of the Hunt feeling better than he had in weeks. He had ventured into the Manslayer's realm, faced the horrors lurking in the deep, and he came out alive. Though he did lose his horse in the process. He didn't like thinking about what it would cost to purchase a replacement.

Maybe he'd buy one of those fabled Alamie horses. Hopefully peace would open their horse markets to buyers from across the Tuor River.

At least if his half-brother didn't muck it up while he was busy chasing elves.

He supposed he would check on it, after he found out what the call to help was all about.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Tower of the Hunt

Roald departed the Tower of the Hunt feeling better than he had in weeks. He had ventured into the Manslayer's realm, faced the horrors lurking in the deep, and he came out alive. Though he did lose his horse in the process. He didn't like thinking about what it would cost to purchase a replacement.

Maybe he'd buy one of those fabled Alamie horses. Hopefully peace would open their horse markets to buyers from across the Tuor River.

At least if his half-brother didn't muck it up while he was busy chasing elves.

He supposed he would check on it, after he found out what the call to help was all about.

The Knights of the Hunt lend Roald and his companions some donkeys and ponies.

The weather remains clear, but cold and windy. It isn't a far ride over the rolling hills. Except a handful of shepherds minding flocks, the travellers encounter no one on the way to the crossroads, although as they get closer they see tracks in the road that suggest recent passage of riders and marchers.

THE RENDEZVOUS AT THE AULD OAK

Arriving at the Auld Oak with Reese, the children, and Sir Boarhort, Roald sees a dozen horses picketed out front.
Within , militiamen, servants, hunters, and others crowd the common room. A big fire blazes in the hearth.

The Count hasn't made an appearance yet, it seems, but a young woman wearing Elevesnemiere colors (russet and buff particolor doublet with a golden and red songbird device pinned at the breast) directs some militiamen to see to the mounts of Sir Roald and his companions. She waves him and Sir Boarhort over to her.

EDIT NOTE

THE BARD, NYISIENDRE, also comes along, to look after the children until some other caretaker can be found.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:ELF HILL

Cormac nods at the idea of raiding the place in disguise. "I've nae had much call to fight the dead, but do we think tha' zombies'll be fooled by the costumes?"

He looks over skeptically at the skinny apothecary. "I'm nae sure all of us are up fer fightin' monsters.

Cranstel sniffs, turning his nose up. "I'll have you know, sir, I am perfectly capable of defending myself. My arcane arts and my wit will see me through."

ELF HILL
Domenica's men finish with their disguises and fan out from either end of the trench, to go to other watch positions nearby.

Two of Gunnar's men rest on the ground near Cormac and Cranstel watching the Hill from behind a screen of shrubs, blankets drawn over the backs and sheathed swords partly hidden under the bodies.

Aside from a few crows picking at something in a patch of high brush just west of the big hill's base, not much is moving out there.

The wind makes a moaning sound as it whips over the fields and blows through the menhirs atop the high mound.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:
ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:Foerde

Foerde has spent the better part of 5 days, doing his best to explain what has transpired while she slept. When they entered Tuornen, Tarala was shocked by lack of trees but otherwise finds humans intriguing. He isn't sure if that is a good thing, if she is shock but still he does his best to answer any questions she may have. As they walk through the snow covered lands towards his home Foerde notices smoke by day, torches by night and the occasional fast rider on the hills. As far as he can gather the country side is on alert, though he doesn't know why.

Finally they reach Foerde's little home at night. A struggle happened, made apparent by the damage his, and the frost that has since covered the inside. Perhaps from when he was whisked away by that teleporation scroll? He shakes his head to stop himself from analyzing the state of his house. "This is my Home." He says.

"Usually it is so..." He pauses for a moment, "Messy."

"Don't mind the Bobcat, he is friendly enough." He says to her. "I will start fire in the hearth room, so you can warm yourself. Then I will see about getting some new clothes."

He shows Tarala to the hearth room, then he gets some firewood and starts a fire. Once she is comfortable, he will go find a change of clothes. Of course nothing really fits all that well, he has to make another couple notches on his belt to hold his pants up, his shirt is bit loose and his priestly vestments drag on the floor some. He keeps his feet and hands wrapped in cloth for now, boots won't fit. From a chest in his room, he grabs an old looking war sword and a kite shield.

Once he has changed Foerde looks for any remaining nonperishable that he can use to make him and his guest something to eat.
The bobcat seems to be gone.
Foerde isn't too worried, Roirdin is smart and scrappy. If he survived, and survives the winter he will return home in the spring. Once prepared a meal for them, he joins Tarala by the fire. He leaves his weapons next to the wall and finds a spot on the floor to sit. "I apologize for the state of my home, it would appear my previous guests have taken advantage of generosity. " He says to her. "I know this isn't what you are used to but it will have to do for now. The winter frost has ruined most of food stores. I just pray one of the locals have taken care of my horse and mule while I was away."

Foerde's animals are missing.

While gathering some firewood from his half- cord, he spots several riders on the road going north, but he soon loses sight of them. It might have been sunlight on metal tack, but he thought he saw the glint of steel...

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Foerde

Dropping the wood, Foerde returns to his house to gather his things and Tarala. "It is time to head out." He says as he extinguishes the fire.

"We will have to travel by foot some more, my horse and mule are missing as well."

Once he gathered his things and Tarala is ready they head to the road and follow it, and the riders, north.

The Auld Oak

Foerde and his new traveling company follow the riders trail to the Auld Oak. Stopping a short distance away, he can make out that there is large gathering of some sort taking place there. He loosens the straps holding his shield in place on his pack, and adjusts the cloak he is wearing to free up his sword and sword arm just in case he may need use of them. After that Foerde, with Tarala following him, make their way to the road house, once there Foerde opens the door and steps inside...

A boy that looks like a cat walks into the road house, wearing an embossed leather jacket with an crest of some kind on the right breast and left shoulder all under an Elvish cloak. A worn and faded leather sword belt complete with an old looking war sword is sheathed at his hip. Close behind him a pale faced Elven woman follows and looks about the room curiously. If no one stops them, the head towards the bar.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Adam wrote:ELF HILL

"Thank you for coming to our aid, Master Cormac. Everyone has thier own talents, as I am sure you are well aware of. Some are more suited to the physical side

of battle, others can offer other talents to the battle. We are all here to help in our own way."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac nods to Domica and turns to look as the door open. His eyes go wide, and he hurries across the room.

"You-" he says to Foerde, "You-I thought you were dead!"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

NOTE

ELF HILL SCENE AND AULD OAK SCENES ARE GEOGRAPHICALLY SEPERATED

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Falcon's roost
kintire wrote:She expresses her deep honour that Caine desires her presence, and enthusiasm for his company. In private to Filbert and Termalan her enthusiasm is more qualified, but she seems genuinely willing to remain if it will aid the alliance.

To Termalan alone she will express her nervousness at remining with the Archmage, but her hope she might learn some arcane secrets from him...
Termelan's reactions seem to be a mix of happiness that she progresses in the world and trepidation that she'll be left with an archmage. He also doesn't forgo showing her and telling her that he will miss her company dearly.

Quite peculiar is also that he occasionally makes a series of confusing questions to her, relating to their experiences together. If pressed, he admits he asks to see if she's been under the influence of spells when making that decision. He also tries to comfort her, saying that in this continent, mages don't have such bad reputation, perhaps deservedly, so she will probably be fine.
Once, he whispers to Safana that if the need arises and she finds a way to pass a message to him in Haes, he'll try rescuing her from Falcon's Roost, diplomacy be damned; nobody gets left behind. He also tells her to not let that linger in her thoughts since Caine may be able to read minds; it's a common spell.

These awkward moments are the exception however; most of the time Termelan spends with Safana he entertains her with stories about beautiful places, cheerful songs and of course, flattering and mild flirting.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Falcon's roost

Filbert is concerened that Safana decided to stay. He tries to have a private moment with ther asking if she really means it and if she will be happy there and will tell her that alliance is important but maybe there are other ways if she doesn't want to stay. But if she does want to he will thank her and will mention it to the Duke so she can can get a special merit. He tries to cheer her up as well by reminding her their adventures together and that her arcane progress will only benefit her and the Duchy.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Auld Oak

Roald steps into the crowded inn and grins. "Ah, civilization! Well, close enough."

He walks over to the bar, fishing for his coin purse.

"Innkeep, a round of your best ale for my friends." He nods to Reece and Boarhort. "And, ah, perhaps something to eat for the children."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AULD OAK

Sir Boarhort turns away from the bar to look at a woman in the middle of the room.
"Roald, that woman there seems to be waving us over. She looks like somebody important. Wearing colors of some house, I think."

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Auld Oak

"Indeed? Well, best not be rude," Roald says. He hands Reece coins to pay for the drinks. "Fetch some Ale for us, Reece. And for yourself, too. I'd say we're entitled to a drink."

He approaches the woman.

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Auld Oak

"Indeed? Well, best not be rude," Roald says. He hands Reece coins to pay for the drinks. "Fetch some Ale for us, Reece. And for yourself, too. I'd say we're entitled to a drink."

He approaches the woman.
ROALD

The trim, athletic lady dresses more like a man than a woman, in a tabard and hose, but wears her honey-colored hair up in a sort of braided crown in a feminine fashion. She looks young, perhaps half Roald's age. Pretty, too, in a vaguely familiar way, as if he has seen one of her cousins someplace, perhaps.
The colors and badge she wears indicate some close connection with Elevesnemiere.

As Roald draws near, the lady's even, calm expression gives way to a bright smile and raised eyebrows.
"My lord Roald! I mistook you and your friends for mercenaries come to collect the witch bounty, forgive me. You are most welcome. We haven't had word of your party in some time. Did all the others return with you? "
She glances past him for a moment, her gaze flicking across Sir Boarhort and scanning the room before she turns her full attention back to Roald.