BREAKING NEWS: This just happened! (DMsGuild)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

BREAKING NEWS: This just happened! (DMsGuild)

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Ravenloft has just been opened up for DMsGuild. I asked around, and it looks promising: REFERENCES FOR MATERIAL CAN INCLUDE THE WHITE WOLF PRODUCTS.

I am now writing stuff; uploads will be on DMsGuild soon.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: BREAKING NEWS: This just happened!

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Wow. And WotC put a tone/themes primer for Ravenloft content on the DM Guild site. It's based on Curse of Strahd, so it's Barovia-centric, but it officially opens the way for Ravenloft content on the DM Guild: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/176276/ ... lider_view
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I'm gonna break out a booyah for this one.

BOO-YAH!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:REFERENCES FOR MATERIAL CAN INCLUDE THE WHITE WOLF PRODUCTS.
Where do you see this part? I can't find it...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: BREAKING NEWS: This just happened! (DMsGuild)

Post by Quinntonia »

Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

:shock: :) :D :twisted:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

JUST ONE THING PEOPLE!
don't forget our home. I fully intend to keep supporting Quoth the Raven that has been here for ... is it 12 years? 13? During the good times and the bad.
And of course make free stuff for DMGuild. But my first and foremost loyalty is to our fraternity.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:JUST ONE THING PEOPLE!
don't forget our home. I fully intend to keep supporting Quoth the Raven that has been here for ... is it 12 years? 13? During the good times and the bad.
And of course make free stuff for DMGuild. But my first and foremost loyalty is to our fraternity.
I for one love our Fraternity, and will continue to format QtR and such.

But my 5e conversion guide will likely be made into a PDF for sale on the DMs Guild website. Because it's legal that way. We've always skirted the edge of legality, but I'm not going to bend the rules if I don't have to...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I am not against that. If I didn't had as much work to do, I would already have a PDF with several darklords up too. And I plan to submit partial conversions from Ravenloft stuff I already have turned to 5e sooner or later.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Dion of the Fraternity wrote:REFERENCES FOR MATERIAL CAN INCLUDE THE WHITE WOLF PRODUCTS.
Where do you see this part? I can't find it...
Matt McElroy, Director of Publishing at OneBookShelf and DriveThruRPG (basically the company that allows DMsGuild to flourish), when referred to about the White Wolf publications as reference for DMsGuild material, his exact words were:
Matt M McElroy wrote: Yes, they are all considered official Ravenloft books.
Last edited by Dion of the Fraternity on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Interesting even though I know nothing of this GuildDM thingie.....
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Nachtjarl
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Nachtjarl »

I saw that very shortly ago and cheered.

DM's Guild is no longer safe from the grasp of the Mists.

Good.

Time to get the poison pen ready and write dark deeds in the blood of blameless men...

EDIT: Actually, no. I might write something OGL at some point, but I'll remain very very leery of the DM's Guild.
Last edited by Nachtjarl on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dread Lord of the Five-Sided Fistagon
Roll The Knucklebones
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

alhoon wrote:JUST ONE THING PEOPLE!

That.

Besides, the pay and the intellectual property rules for the DMsG are pretty miserable. Why would anybody really want to do that?!

To put that into perspective: I ran a FR/RL hybrid game for many years, and I have frequently experimented with many of the things that the "Curse of Strahd"-line of products now seems to rediscover for D&D; my old "Ravenloft: Origins" game here shows part of that. - I could probably have publishable stuff ready within only a couple of months; I am still not going to do it. First, because I don't think this is a profitable, or otherwise rewarding thing to do. But second, because I think it will hurt the fans on the long run: Before, we were possible collaborators; now, we are all potential competitors. It's already difficult to assemble teams that work pro bono, and WotC's policy has just made it even harder.

Unless my perspective on things really is bound to change radically, I will have no part of this DMsG.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Le Noir Faineant wrote: Besides, the pay and the intellectual property rules for the DMsG are pretty miserable. Why would anybody really want to do that?!
Cause we like sharing our ideas with the world? The same reason this site exists I would say.
Le Noir Faineant wrote:First, because I don't think this is a profitable, or otherwise rewarding thing to do.
It is not profitable at all (but neither is giving things out for free) but it is very rewarding.
My DMGuild work!
mason
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by mason »

I think the fan sites (fraternity, areas.org, etc) should weigh out all the options before going whole hog on publishing everything to dms guild. It offers a lot of great opportunities (easier to get a print on demand copy, can charge for things, access to wotc ip) but everything you put in there can also be used by someone else. It's almost like an ogl for wotc ip.

Will you ever be able to use the ravenloft logo on there? And if not, why not?

Plus artwork considerations. You can only use what's on there unless you provide your own or public domain. And if you use your own, then someone else can use it.