Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Post by Hell_Born »

So, Curse of Strahd is finally out. But I don't see any topic about opinions, critique or feedback?

So... what, has everybody just unanimously decided that there's absolutely nothing redeeming about this and it's a bastardization of the setting? Or were folks just waiting for someone else to bite the bullet and start a thread to discuss it?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Post by Resonant Curse »

Hell_Born wrote:So, Curse of Strahd is finally out. But I don't see any topic about opinions, critique or feedback?

So... what, has everybody just unanimously decided that there's absolutely nothing redeeming about this and it's a bastardization of the setting? Or were folks just waiting for someone else to bite the bullet and start a thread to discuss it?

Only certain stores have received it early. For the majority of people and stores it is out in April.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Yeah, I'm on the end of March/peasant list for arrival. Not like some people around here..

Haha

I know in one of these threads Jester has a link to his review, and if I recall correctly Gonzoron posted a few insights as well.

Should be a few threads down.."Confirmed: Ravenloft for 5th Edition". The first post of page 23 for Jester's review link.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yeah, I only posted my initial reaction (which was positive, by the way) because I've had a busy week and haven't been able to read it all yet.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Yeah, I only posted my initial reaction (which was positive, by the way) because I've had a busy week and haven't been able to read it all yet.
Aww, ain't that sweet? Waiting for us all to get our copies and catch up before he drops his heavy..

;)

haha

joke

My luck, my copy will arrive not during my days off when I'm home (when it's scheduled to arrive), but the day after I fly the 4000+ km. You just wait. haha
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I see. I got my copy yesterday, and it came in a few days before that, so I figured it must be already out everywhere.

Could I get away with sharing my own opinions (which are probably far more positive than most peoples' will be), maybe a full-fledged review, or would that be classified as spoilers?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Hell_Born wrote:Could I get away with sharing my own opinions (which are probably far more positive than most peoples' will be), maybe a full-fledged review, or would that be classified as spoilers?
I can and will only speak for myself: I'm spoiler-proof. I don't get kicks out of having to devirginate things like that. Fire away if you feel so inclined. Your opinions are no less important than anybody else's.

If other people want to avoid spoilers then they probably shouldn't have entered this thread, non? :P

I'll SiTFU now.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Go ahead and share away, that's what we're here for!

If you really want to insulate spoilers, you can use the
VIEW CONTENT:
spoiler tag
. But we're mostly DM's here. It's an adventure, not a book or movie. (Not to mention one that 75% of which has been published 4 times before...) Spoilers kinda go with the territory...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Well, if there's no objections...

But, fair warning to anyone, expect a lot of spoilers.

Starting Thoughts:
I set my expectations for Curse of Strahd low going in. Between its nature as an I6 revamp, WoTC's track record in regards considering the need for appeasing grognards, and the fact that the Hickmans, who are noted for their disapproval of the very existence of "Ravenloft the setting", were involved in writing it, to do otherwise seemed to me to be a recipe for folly.

Consequently, I probably have a much higher opinion on Curse of Strahd than many others will. Especially since I don't revere many of the setting's "sacred cows".

This is not a "guidebook to Ravenloft; 5th edition". It doesn't try to be. Taken on its own merits, though, I think it's quite an excellent piece of work. I've never actually bothered picking up adventures before, and if 5e hadn't started slipping in important new additions like races and spells into their adventures, I probably never would have started. But I'm glad I did. Out of the Abyss and Princes of the Apocalypse were great, but this is even better.

Also, it's been a long, long time since I directly read the I6 module, so I'm not sure just how accurate specific areas are to the I6 version. I can't tell you if they kept every crypt in exactly the same place or not.

The Nature of Barovia:
Barovia in Curse of Strahd borrows elements from the Ravenloft campaign setting, but is closer to the I6 version. This is not "the domain of Barovia, in the Northern Core of the Demiplane of Dread". This Barovia is a demiplane, all its own right, a mist-veiled land that has an affinity for the Shadowfell, but which otherwise exists beyond any known world. It is a prison, a place that entraps Strahd, his victims and all of the other doomed souls in it.

Literally so. The native Barovians are spiritually stagnant people; the souls of the dead are trapped in Barovia forever, until they manage to be reborn again, something that's used to explain why Tatyana's reincarnating is A: so visibly obvious, and B: why Strahd expects it. This makes the small population of Barovia even smaller, as apparently 9/10ths of the population are actually soulless shells, homunculi born into the domain out of Strahd's need to have servants around. Their emotional stuntedness is also further justification for why the Barovians so passively tolerate their misery.

The "ring of toxic fog" surrounding Strahd's castle and the village of Barovia and the Misty Border have been made one in the same; now, the only thing keeping players in Barovia is the mists surrounding the domain. Rather than relying on poisoning effects, the mists of Barovia sap the energy from those inside of it, inflicting a level of Exhaustion each turn unless a DC20 Con check is passed, and even if you survive it, you still end up just walking right back out of the mists where you started.

The misty border's resilience has been amplified intensely; now, absolutely nothing can get you out. Not wishes, not miracles, not artefacts, nothing. There's no mention of "outsider reality wrinkles" anymore, so presumably they're also useless. Also, Strahd has the ability to interfere with spells that normally contact and communicate with beings on other planes, letting him "take the call" himself if he wishes.

To further add a level of power to Strahd, the sun in Barovia is muted by the demiplane's aura of darkness; although vampires are still leery of it, it doesn't actually hurt them (nor does it affect any creature with traits like Sunlight Vulnerability, Daylight Sensitivity, etc). This makes adventuring in Barovia even scarier, as it cuts you off from the one certainty you previously had; that the daylight hours would be a reprieve. In this Barovia, if Strahd wants you, he can take you. At any time.

The Adventure Proper:
Curse of Strahd is massive, with seventeen chapters and seven appendixes spanning 256 pages. Much like Out of the Abyss, it's a fairly sandboxy adventure, with given chapters devoted more to specific areas and their sub-stories than to any linear progression. Indeed, making use of a tarokka-reading generated randomized path akin to the classic I6 module, it's expected that players will wander all over, perhaps even visiting Castle Ravenloft several times before finally taking on Strahd.

The introduction is fairly short and basic. It covers the story overview of the adventure, and gives some tips on both mechanically and thematically running the adventure, with a whole page, "Marks of Horror", dedicated to tips on keeping the mood spooky. Strangely, it has an entry on "humor", which may explain why the adventure retains the classic goofball names in the dungeon. Anyway, this is vanilla stuff, but useful for rookie DMs.

Chapter 1, "Into the Mists", examines Strahd's backstory as established for this rendition of the continuity. It then proceeds with the explanation on how to run the tarokka reading from Madame Eva, explaining both how to lay out the cards and establish which of the 5 elements they correspond to, and what a given card actually means for its intended role (for example, the 1 of Swords card determines that the given treasure is in the possession of Vladimir Horngaard in Argynvostholt, whilst the Artifact card establishes that your ally is Rictavio or that Strahd is in the Chapel). Finally, it ends with four adventure hooks for getting the players into the adventure proper; Plea for Help (you are lured into Barovia by one of Strahd's vistani agents), Mysterious Visitors (the party is invited to join a vistani caravan and is brought into Barovia), Werewolves in the Mist (the party is hired to find some werewolves that have been making raids from a nearby forest, which becomes linked to Barovia) and Creeping Fog (the party is swallowed by the mists in mid-travel). Although I do have some complaints with Strahd's backstory, those go in the Old vs. New section below. All in all, this is a pretty helpful chapter, particularly as the tarokka reading can be rather complicated for somebody who's never run Ravenloft before.

Chapter 2 examines Barovia as a whole. It details the lay of the land, details on how being in Barovia affects magic (complete with options for creepy side-effects to assorted spells), the futility of escape, the effects of the mists, examines the Barovians and Vistani in detail, lists random encounters, and most importantly, covers the players' encounter at the Tser Pool Vistani Encampment, where they can receive their essential tarokka reading from Madame Eva. Although I do have some minor issues with lore here, mostly, I think that there's a lot of good stuff here, but that's mostly stuff for Old vs. New.

Chapter 3 focuses on the village of Barovia, the players' first stop after entering the realm of Strahd. Houses can randomly contain nothing, Barovian villagers, swarms of rats, or even Strahd Zombies, which rather discourages exploring too greatly. That said, there's still some places to check out. Bildrath's Mercantile is the only shop in town, with marked up prices. At the Blood of/on the Vine tavern, one can meet the Burgomaster's son, Kolyan Indirovich, who can point the party towards his father's mansion and wants to fight the devil Strahd to save his adoptive sister. Three vistani also hang out in the tavern - in fact, they own it; see below. They'll point the party towards Madame Eva. Other notable locations include Mad Mary's Townhouse (where an insane woman weeps over her stifled daughter, who has wandered over to Castle Ravenloft), the Bugomaster's Mansion (where one can find Ireena Kolyana, who refuses to leave until her father is buried), and the church. Aside from a sidequest involving the priest's vampirized son, this is where you can bury Burgomaster Kolyana and a potential source of the treasure. The priest, after burying the burgomaster, will suggest to the Abbey of Saint Markovia in Krezk. There's also the "Death House", a mini-adventure covered in one of the appendixes, and two special events; a midnight parade where the ghosts of all the adventurers who have failed to slay Strahd march silently from the graveyard to make a failed attack on the castle, and the Dream Pastries, where a disguised night hag wanders into town from her lair at Old Bonegrinder, looking for victims to peddle her foul concoctions to. There's a lot of stuff here, and it's a great way to introduce rookie players to the game, especially with the Death House mini-adventure.

Chapter 4 is the meat of the game; this describes Castle Ravenloft itself, in all its glory. Recommended for level 9 and up PC parties, this is extremely challenging. As far as I can tell, it's incredibly faithful to the original description of the castle, but with an abundance of new tricks. For example, if you go to the Dining Hall and pass a DC 15 Charisma (Performance) check to play the harp, you'll summon the ghost of Pidlwick, the jester, who will offer his help by revealing a fully charged Deck of Illusions hidden in his crypt. It's almost certainly where you'll face off against Strahd, has the Icon of Ravenloft in its chapel, and potentially houses one or more of the treasures you need to find.

Chapter 5 examines the town of Vallaki. In this rendition of Ravenloft, the town's burgomaster has gone insane; delusionally faithful in the idea that hope and happiness can repel the malevolence of the rest of Barovia, he stages festival after festival in an effort to bring his people joy. Of course, as 9/10ths of his people are soulless shells incapable of feeling the emotion, his efforts are futile, which drives him into a foul-tempered rage. A lot livelier than the village of Barovia, there's all kinds of things to do here, from finding the stolen bones of Saint Andral to reconsecrate his namesake church to earning the aid of the Keepers of the Feather, dealing with the local chief priestess of the resident infernal cult to going amongst the local Vistani camp or interacting with the dying tribe of dusk elves.

Chapter 6 covers an entirely new, yet horrifically appropriate, area for Barovia; Old Bonegrinder. A crumbling grain mill that has become home to a coven of three night hags; although stranded in Barovia, they've come to enjoy it. They use the mill not only as a home, but as a business; they feed on children, taking only those with souls, and grind the bones up to make a key ingredient in their "dream pastries". These enchanted treats offer an eater a trance-like state, in which they escape to a heavenly place filled with joy, laughter and hope. This is incredibly addictive for Barovians, and they sow great corruption in Barovia with them; when they have adults hooked and bankrupt, they offer them more - if they'll give the hags their children. This is mostly a grotesque little side-quest, but there could potentially be a treasure here, if the cards are right.

Chapter 7 covers another entirely new addition to Barovia; Argynvostholt, the desecrated stronghold of an order of noble knights who once guarded the Amber Temple. Destroyed by Strahd before his fall to darkness, the Order's champion, Vladimir Horngaard, was so incensed that he and his followers returned as revenants, damning their souls to make Strahd pay. By recovering the dragon's skull from Castle Ravenloft and placing it upon the beacon here, the adventurers can create a pillar of holy radiance that will dispatch the revenants and grant increased defenses to those who oppose Strahd.

Chapter 8 covers the village of Kresk, another hotbed of intrigue, connecting to various miniquests throughout the game. The pinnacle of it all is the Abbey of Saint Markovia, ruled by a fallen angel who has been driven insane; he now reigns over a huge and fractuous clan of Mongelfolk - this module's replacement for calibans, with lore better suited to what old school Rvlft fans will know as Broken Ones - and strives to fashion a female flesh golem in hopes that he an present this to Strahd as a new bride, one that will compel him to leave the Barovians in peace. It's actually surprisingly gothic in flavor, even if one's instinct is to initially recoil at the Abbort's nature as an angel who sought to bring some comfort to the souls of the natives. Some of the quests tied here include being forced to find a bridal gown for the Abbot's creation, or earning Strahd's wrath by helping Ireena escape; if brought to the pool here, Sergei's spirit can manifest and help her flee Barovia forever.

Chapter 9 examines Tsolenka Pass, which may potentially house a treasure, but is mostly just some random flavor and encounters. There's a chance for a battle with a Roc or with Sangoz, a magical and malevolent giant goat.

Chapter 10 covers the Ruins of Berez, an abandoned village that mostly serves of interest for being the home of Baba Lysaga, a powerful new face in the area.

Chapter 11 covers Khazan's tower; once the lair of an evil wizard turned lich, it has been abandoned since a failed attempt at demilichdom destroyed Khazan. Now, Ezmerelda d'Avenir has chosen this place as a hiding ground whilst she makes her plans against Strahd. This isn't a place to go poking around; the caravan and the tower are both heavily guarded by an explosive booby trap and a lethal array of magical wards and guardians, respectively.

Chapter 12 details the Wizard of Wines vinery, an area sheltered by magical gems that keep the soil filled with life and goodness. Originally run by benevolent wereravens who used their produce to provide comfort to the Barovians, the vinery has come under attack. One of those life-gems was stolen by persons unknown, a second was recently stolen by Baba Lysaga to animate her crawling hut, and the third as been taken by the cult of malevolent druids who worship Strahd, who have likewise destroyed the vinery extensively. The party will almost certainly be brought here as part of their ongoing quests through the domain, and it's a tough place; there's no fewer than thirty-five needle blights, twenty-four twig blights, two vine blights, and four druids still roaming the grounds. Shy of any clever plans or sheer luck, the party's best hope for survival might be to sneak in and find the master druid; if they can kill him and take his Gulthias Staff (see below), they can eliminate all of the blights at once.

Chapter 13 covers perhaps the most contentious part of the adventure for purists; the Amber Temple. As this is not the Ravenloft Campaign Setting, WoTC felt no need to adhere to laws established for that, and here they slaughtered the most sacred cow; they gave a definition to the Dark Powers. The Amber Temple is a secret tomb for evil vestiges, the near-mindless fragments of deceased gods of evil, arch-devils, demon princes and other entities of darkness. These are the beings who gave Strahd his damnation, and who forged the domain of Barovia after he fell into their clutches. This is the toughest area in the module, bar Strahd's castle; multiple flameskulls, an arcanaloth, feral cultists and a mad lich reside here. Most unique are the various amber sarcophogi; by touching one, a player can choose to accept a pledge to the dark power within, gaining a mystical ability at the cost of a serious flaw or physical deformity.

Chapter 14 covers Yester Hill, a region on the very edge of Barovia that is home to a mad cult of druids who worship Strahd as the literal heart of the land. This area is home to a Gulthias Tree, and unless the party can destroy it, the druids can potentially unleash Wintersplinter, a tree blight, to destroy the Wizard of Wines or even go after the players. This area is also where one can find the Blood Spear of Kavan.

Chapter 15 covers a den that has been claimed by the domain's resident pack of werewolves, which may tie in to the party's reason for being here in Barovia.

The epilogue covers what happens depending on what the players manage to do. If they can destroy Strahd, and avoid being killed in revenge by his mad chamberlain Rahadin, then the curse of Barovia dissipates. People may leave it freely, and the land becomes bright and peaceful again... for a time. Months later, after the Barovians have found a chance to discover hope again, Strahd will be restored by the Dark Powers, and Barovia will become his again.

Appendix A, Player Options, covers a new character background, the Haunted One, and a list of Gothic Trinkets which are... honestly, more dark fantasy than gothic, in my opinion, but still pretty creepy awesome; a pocket watch that runs backwards for an hour on midnight, a winter coat stolen from a dying soldier, a bronze-backed mirror with a depiction of a medusa on the back, a lantern with a black candle that produces an inexhaustible green flame, or a black wooden pipe that creates smoke-puffs shaped like skulls, for example.

Appendix B is a mini-adventure, Death House, which was released individually online. It's a fun but deadly little adventure, and a good way to introduce players to the fact Barovia isn't like other settings.

Appendix C covers the unique treasures of this adventure; the iconic Tome of Strahd, Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, Icon of Ravenloft and Sunsword all appear here, but there's three new ones as well. The Blood Spear of Kavan is an enchanted spear that grants 2D6 temporary HP when you use it to kill a target, the Gulthias Staff is a darkly enchanted staff that protects the bearer against evil plants, can grant vampiric healing and be used to kill all blights within 300 feet by snapping it, and the Thighbone of St. Markovia is a relic that functions as a mace of disruption that is destroyed if ever used to attack a vampire. Pretty flavorful stuff, really.

Appendix D, the largest one, covers the various unique monsters and NPCs in the setting.

Appendix E covers the tarokka deck's meanings, use and provides images for each card that can be scanned to make your own.

Finally, Appendix F is the DM's handouts.

Old vs. New:
As touched upon above, there's a lot of differences in this module when one compares it to the setting, and doing so is asking for disappointment going in. Many of these changes will probably alienate people, especially those with very heavy emotional investment in the old lore. Personally, I find it varies in quality from actually pretty good to disappointing, and I'll touch upon those opinions now.

The nature of Barovia is one area I'm kind of eh on. The soullessness of the majority of the Barovians and the spiritual damnation of its residents I can kind of accept, but it feels a little hamfisted at the same time. Mostly a matter of some elements I like, some I just don't get.

The Vistani are one change I actually really liked. I have never enjoyed the use of vistani as blatant plot devices, and honestly thought they were born of the same hamfisted, pretty racist attitudes that gave us the Aperusa in Spelljammer. They just... bugged the hell out of me. This module's rendition of them is a lot more appealing; although they still have some inherent magical abilities, in the form of their daily Curse bestowment and encounter-use Evil Eye, they're not mysterious demi-god figures anymore. Indeed, a lot of their reputation is purely xenophobia and their own hype. I could actually see these vistani serving as a player race, eliminating the always-awkward need for Half-Vistani. I particularly liked that their ability to leave Barovia is part of Strahd's curse, not their own powers; it makes them far less dickish than they have canonically been. Even their willingness to serve Strahd is given an explanation that makes sense, rather than the hamfisted "the vistani are beyond good and evil!" treatment of old.

On a related note, the change to Madame Eva - that she is actually Strahd's half-vistani half-sister, operating under her own magical curse as a way to bring her cursed little brother down - is one I actually like. Madame Eva in the classic setting is... well, she's basically everything that bugs me about the Vistani all wrapped up into one package. She's frankly not much better than the Ravenloft equivalent of Elminster. This new version of her feels like an actual character, rather than a clumsy mouthpiece for the DM to hammer the players over the head so they'll go where you want them to go.

Baba Lysaga is one of the best new additions to the Ravenloft lore, I feel. Strahd's midwife who became obsessed with him, selling her own soul to become a hag-like being so that she could watch over and guard him for all eternity. She's a hag who actually feels like she has a Gothic backstory, whereas normally they're more... side-characters. They don't often have a lot of depth to them. Her obsession with Strahd is a nice reflection on Strahd's own obsession with Tatyana, though Lysaga is sane enough to realise Strahd won't accept her maternal love for him, so she pines over him from afar and tries to win his respect instead.

Old Bonegrinder, as I mentioned above, is a location I really approve of. It just feels so... darkly fantastical, I think it's a wonderful idea. It may be too fantastic for some purists out there, but I think it works well for Ravenloft.

The Amber Temple... I'm going to be in the minority here, but I actually like this locale. Scream and rant and rave all you like, but really, the Dark Powers have never been "mysterious" so much as they've been "flat". They are pricks, and the setting just doesn't want to admit it. Honestly, my biggest complaint about the Temple isn't its existence, but that it feels too constrictive. The Dark Powers being literally the vestiges of evil feeding on the corruption of mortal souls to try and restore themselves is awesome lore, and having a place where you can directly make bargains to them much as Strahd himself did is pretty neat, but... it feels underwhelming with how it's presented here. I'd happily adapt the Amber Temple as the literal Heart of the Mists, but I'd make it much, much harder to find - practically a demiplane within a demiplane, the secret beating heart of everything. All in all, nice ideas, but rather disappointing for greater integration. Taken on its own merits, though, it actually works for the setting of the module proper; indeed, I would have zero difficulties or problems with the idea that a post-module "epilogue campaign" could be devoted to both destroying Strahd a second time and then destroying the Amber Temple, so that Strahd will stay dead.

Strahd is one of the few areas I can say I'm disappointed. His backstory is basically the same in broad strokes, but... I don't know, the finer details kind of feel like they've undercut his Gothic pathos. He feels more blatantly villainous to begin with, rather than a world-weary soul just fell to his own inner darkness. I mean, I've always suspected that Strahd was kind of a dick to begin with, and his autobiography is probably pretty self-serving, but still, this is just a little clumsier in comparison to the lore we've seen before.

Van Richten just... confuses me. The disguise makes a lot of sense; you're not going to run around in Strahd's domain as an openly known vampire hunter if you're smart, and Van Richten is smart. Weirdly, one of the things that stuck out for me is that he didn't massacre the vistani who abducted his son, yet he still picked up his legendary "curse of companion's doom" from a Vistani seer. Also, in probably the most contentious part of his description here, he's perfectly willing to kill vistani, to the point of having a preserved vistani's head he used to consult for secrets about Strahd and a trained sabertoothed tiger he plans on deploying as a weapon against a vistani camp. I mean, it kind of makes sense, since in this module many of the vistani actively serve Strahd and are his willing agents, so you're probably going to fight quite a few of them yourself. Intellectually, I know it's justifiable, they're willing allies of Strahd and actively in league with his evil, but still, there's a little emotional turmoil there. It lessens when I remind myself that he's going after the evil, vampire-worshipping vistani and not all vistani as a whole, but still, there's that kneejerk "the hell?" response.

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^This will help hold me over. Thank you. I've only been grinding my teeth waiting for it to arrive, mine says sometime around the 22nd it will be delievered after it's release date of the 15th. So.... yeah still more waiting but that is helpful in thinking about it. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A couple of things as I read your review: From the Guide to the adventure that WotC sent, it says the sun doesn't harm creatures vulnerable to sunlight. It is STILL bright light. I.e. a drow would have problems by the bright light as it would near a torch.
As for the "Reality wrinkles" if it doesn't mention them, it doesn't mean they don't exist or work. EDIT: Correction: I saw the angel. If he hasn't one, there are not canon anymore. Well, that needs fixing.

The parade, while it doesn't fit with the "let's keep Ravenloft\Barovia sane and realistic" is too cool to leave out of future Ravenloft campaigns.
The priestess of the infernal cult catches me by surprise.

The hag drug-dealers is one of the most awesome sidequests I've heard about. And Ravenloft appropriate. Kinda too much beyond the pale for me (which is good) but it sounds too good to pass up.

I'd turn the noble knights to Tergs to fit the backstory I want for Strahd.

That Abbot angel... I'll have to read that part when I finally get my book! I'll throw in a reality wrinkle for that angel. I'll give him a RWrinkle and make his madness a byproduct of rituals he did to shrink it (if I can't avoid the madness).
Question: Can the callibans be tied to a "Isolde-like changing" kind of thing? An effect of the RW?

About Chapter 11: Really? A tower of a lich that blew up while trying to get out of Ravenloft?
I'll change that to Azalin's tower, the one from the War against Azalin, which Azalin blew up when he drew Strahd in Mordent with him.

Amber temple: Yeah, that's out. And who brings a LICH in an adventure for 10th lvl adventurers?!
But... it makes an interesting reading since it has Inaji- I mean an arcanoloth and cultists. Add in the nice sarcophagi and I could use that in other campaigns to make warlocks by the dozen.

Vistani: I think those would work best for me but I have to find a way to tie them to other domains as well...

Madame Eva: O_O Now, THAT floored me. Well, it's too awesome to put it aside. I don't care about Zarovan after all, and I could make her Zarovan anyways.
Does Strahd know? Does he care? Would the OLD Strahd (which is the one I'll go for) know\care?
Cause I use Montari pretty often and it would be a shame if she couldn't set foot in Barovia.

Baba Lysaga I would agree with you. Very interesting development and it was about time women got some suffering and curse out of the obsession; gothic horror is too much focused on the man.

Strahd: Yeah, I'll keep the old Strahd.

In general: Thank you. However it just made my torment waithing for the module greater.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I'm sure there's some sort of Dark Power out there willing to trade your time waiting for something..... :azalin:
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I actually left out some rather juicy titbits, but I don't know if I quite want to spoil them all...

Something to mention; Barovia is called out as an explicitly human-centric plane. The only native demihumans are the dying tribe of dusk elves (who are stated in chapter 5 to be handled with Wood Elf stats, but dark skin and hair), whose womenfolk and children were massacred by Strahd after they killed one of their women who tried to marry Strahd. I'd personally argue that, at a DM's discretion, a dusk elf or half-dusk elf PC could make for a native PC. Anyway, it doesn't give a mechanical effect, but does call out that any non-human PC should receive scorn, fear and shunning as a result of the native's xenophobia.

From the Guide to the adventure that WotC sent, it says the sun doesn't harm creatures vulnerable to sunlight. It is STILL bright light. I.e. a drow would have problems by the bright light as it would near a torch.
Um, I'm sorry to have to correct this, but you've gotten your 5e lore wrong. The Drow and Duergar racial entries both state unambiguously that they suffer their penalties only in direct sunlight. Not in "bright light".
D&D 5e PHB, page 24 wrote:You have disadvantage on attacks and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
D&D 5e SCAG, page 104 wrote:You have disadvantage on attacks and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Furthermore, the Sunlight in Barovia explicitly says it does not trigger effects or vulnerabilities specifically tied to sunlight:
Curse of Strahd, page 24 wrote:Barovian daylight is bright light, yet it isn't considered sunlight for the purpose of effects and vulnerabilities, such as a vampire's, tied to sunlight.
Question: Can the callibans be tied to a "Isolde-like changing" kind of thing? An effect of the RW?
Quite easily; the lore on the Mongrelfolk in the adventure is that they're an insane clan of humans who asked the Abbot to turn them into their new state, on purpose, because of their obsession with going beyond not only the defects they already suffered (being inbred and leprous; the Abbot cured them of leprosy, but couldn't fix their birth defects or their insanity), but also the normal abilities of humanity. This is what gave Strahd an opening to expose the Abbot to lore from the Amber Temple, via a guise as "Vasili von Holtz", which allowed him to succeed in changing them into Mongrelfolk, but drove him insane in the process.
And who brings a LICH in an adventure for 10th lvl adventurers?!
Hey, Strahd himself is Challenge 15. :P Besides, the Lich is suffering from severe amnesia, reducing it to 99 HP and causing it to lose access to all spells bar its cantrips. In fact, if you heal it with a pair of greater restoration spells, it will actually be diplomatically inclined; it presumes the party is simply here to make their own pacts, and has no allegiance to Strahd at all.

Also, I skimmed over the location. There's at least one Death Slaad in the temple as well. :twisted:

In my personal opinion as someone with some munchkin inclinations, most of the dark pacts you can forge... aren't really worth it, stat wise. Would folks like me to share the complete list of pacts here?

Does Strahd know? Does he care? Would the OLD Strahd (which is the one I'll go for) know\care?
The book doesn't say. All it says is that "Madam Eva knows she is Strahd's half-sister, but has told no one of the royal blood flowing through her veins". It also explicitly says that the Vistani don't know of her relationship to him. So I presume it's not known to him.

She's actually noted as a potential replacement for Strahd as the master of Ravenloft, in the eyes of the Dark Powers, but she does not seek to supplant him. As to why she qualifies as worthy, this may have to do with her flaw; "The people whose fates I divine aren't important. They are but the means to an end." Or it may have to do with the pledge she made to Mother Night, which left her with eternal life and a perpetually crone-like body in exchange for having the abilities to try and end Strahd's curse, one way or another.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Not sure if it's legal to share the list to be sincere...

About the sunlight: OK, Indeed I was "wrong" about Duergar and Drow. Of course, I'll apply it to bright light and NOT sunlight alone in my campaigns whatever 5e says about it.
Anyway... the book says direct sunlight vulnerabilities don't trigger but doesn't mention bright light, correct?
Not sure if there are any creatures actually having anything with right light though, since Drow and Duergar don't.
Hell_Born wrote:
And who brings a LICH in an adventure for 10th lvl adventurers?!
Hey, Strahd himself is Challenge 15. :P Besides, the Lich is suffering from severe amnesia, reducing it to 99 HP and causing it to lose access to all spells bar its cantrips. In fact, if you heal it with a pair of greater restoration spells, it will actually be diplomatically inclined; it presumes the party is simply here to make their own pacts, and has no allegiance to Strahd at all.
So... not a lich. Just a ray-of-frost machine with paralyzing touch. ;)
I really don't think anyone would be so intellect-deficient to put it politely to heal a CR21 evil creature. Even evil people wouldn't do that. It could destroy the party even if Strahd fights on their side. Is the phylactery there too?

Anyway, is it possible to cut the lich out completely? I would steal that temple for my campaign, outside of Ravenloft. You know a nice place that Vecna stores the remains of his demi-god followers that were defeated, overlooked by Inajira and cultists, where not-so-nice people go to become warlocks.
Yes, I know what you would think: Why wouldn't Vecna have a LICH there too? Cause my PCs are ~13th level. A lich would wipe them out.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

"Light sensitivity" isn't a thing to my knowledge, and I personally think that upgrading drow and duergar to it is a good way to tick players off.

Anyway, it's technically pretty easy to take Exethanter out. He only hangs out in one room - yes, the phylactery is close by; it's behind an arcane locked secret door in the very room where you meet him. He doesn't attack unless you attack him first, as even in his diminished state he remembers that he wants to share the "gifts" of this place with all. The big thing is that Exethanter is the only soul who knows the passwords to open up all of the crypts where the Amber Sarcophagi lie waiting, and he's also the only one who knows the passcodes to deactivate the warding on the books in the library - without those codes, all those texts are magically obscured and only truesight will let you see their contents.

If you're willing to make adjustments for how to get at all of that stuff without his help, then you can easily drop him.

Aw... alright, if people are sure. My big problem with them is that the majority of the Dark Gifts work out as spell-like abilities you can only use so many times before they leave, and even then, the flaws they induce remain permanent. Only the spider climb, flight and charisma boost-bestowing gifts are permanent. Seriously, developing a lifelong full-body coat of oily black fur in exchange for boosting your maximum HP by +30 for ten days doesn't seem in the slightest attractive to me.