Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Two

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:GUILDHOUSE OF THE THIEF-CATCHERS AND LAWFUL REPOSSESSORS

"We have no openings for new apprentices now. So get lost, runt."
The panel snaps closed.
Fild sighs and pulls the chain again, and bangs the door for good measure.
"I don't want apprentiship you oafs. I just want the license and I'll go my merry way and leave you barricaded in your fort."
The slit reopens.
"Go away, goblin, or I'll sick the mastiffs on you."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Thiefcatcher guild

"The magistrate ordered that I get included in the Guild!" Fild said accusatory. "He gave very clear instructions. You could ask in the courthouse if you don't believe me" he said, not really thinking they would believe him.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Thiefcatcher guild

"The magistrate ordered that I get included in the Guild!" Fild said accusatory. "He gave very clear instructions. You could ask in the courthouse if you don't believe me" he said, not really thinking they would believe him.

Something rattles behind the door.

A moment latter, Fild hears growling and barking...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Guildhouse - Alleys near the Guildhouse

Fild takes the not-so-subtle hint and leaves the anti-social people in peace. He walks around the city a bit taking in sights to pass the time.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse continues to the door, gesturing that Titus could follow them.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse continues to the door, gesturing that Titus could follow them.

TITUS, ALFONSE,AND DAMIEN

DAMIEN steps out into the street and waits for the other two men.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

The Frisky Friar

Titus nods and follows Alphonse.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Alleys of Povero
While Fild takes his walk, he asks the watch about legally thief-catching with a license that doesn't come from the guild and various street vendors or passersby about the water-seller guild.
He makes his way there, hoping to make it there, make an inquire if they have any openings for small-sized plumbers that can see in the dark for their system and make it back in time for the meeting.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FILD

The gnome encounters a boy standing in the shade of an alley archway, selling water out of a big, flat-bottomed ceramic container set in a handcart. Three spouts stick out: a large one at the top and two smaller ones set below it in a vertical row. A cork stops each spout.
Cords hold the jug in place. When the boy wishes to dispense water, he lifts the hand cart handles, tilting the vessel so that water pours from the open spout (whichever of the three is in use).
Two clay cups rest on side hooks to the left and right of the handcart, secured with loops of brass chain.

The boy sells water to a well-dressed lady and her two attendants: a maid and a swordsman. The maid wipes the rim and interior of the right side mug with a silk handkerchief before filling it and then taking a knee before the lady.
The lady pushes back her lace veil and sips from the mug.
The maid pays the water seller boy a couple of coins.
Then the maid drinks the rest of the water.
Both mistress and maid wait a moment while the bodyguard fills and drinks for himself. Then all three depart.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild and water carrier

After taking a good look at the lady, wondering how much that handkerchief must be worth, Fild goes to the kid. He passes him a copper piece and says,
"Hi kid. I'm Fild. I'm a plumber from a nearby town. Could you direct me towards the water-seller guild? I would like to see if there's employment there for the likes of me. Any additional info about who I would look for or what to say would be appreciated."
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild and water carrier

After taking a good look at the lady, wondering how much that handkerchief must be worth, Fild goes to the kid. He passes him a copper piece and says,
"Hi kid. I'm Fild. I'm a plumber from a nearby town. Could you direct me towards the water-seller guild? I would like to see if there's employment there for the likes of me. Any additional info about who I would look for or what to say would be appreciated."
"Sure,Mister Dwarf. But a plumber works with lead, right? I dunno about your home, but in POVERO we don't use lead pipes for drinking water. Maybe that's all right for dwarfs, but it makes the water taste bad for us humans. So my guild got the lead pipes banned way back. We buy all our clay pipes from the Potters,our friends. Maybe we still use lead in the drains. If you want to find plumbers...I dunno, exactly. Look for a pewtersmith. I bet he'd know. "

The kid tilts his cart so Fild can fill a drinking cup.

He says, " But if you still want to see our guild house and talk with the masters, just go..."
He gives Fild detailed directions to a house in the Municipal District.
The house displays a big water jug tilted and pouring a stream. It holds, the boy says, the headquarters of his guild and a small backroom office used by the Potters.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Water-seller guild
Fild frowns a bit finding out that the lead is being replaced. He doesn't correct the kid about mistaking his race. He thanks the kid and goes to the Water sellers guild to see if they need work on the drains. Or Sewers.
He finds the guild looking quite friendlier than the barricaded one for the thief-catchers. He is about to knock on their door... when he realizes that he stinks and is armed and armored.
He turns around and heads to a bath-house. He could always seek allies and legal work later.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Water-seller guild
Fild frowns a bit finding out that the lead is being replaced. He doesn't correct the kid about mistaking his race. He thanks the kid and goes to the Water sellers guild to see if they need work on the drains. Or Sewers.
He finds the guild looking quite friendlier than the barricaded one for the thief-catchers. He is about to knock on their door... when he realizes that he stinks and is armed and armored.
He turns around and heads to a bath-house. He could always seek allies and legal work later.
He finds a small brick bathhouse near the Guildhouse of Water Sellers&Carriers.
The prices here range from one follaro to stand under a drainspout for half a minute with a lump of lye soap, to a silver pence for a more luxuriant bathing experience. An extra pence gets a massage from one of the girls.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild pays 2 follaros for a soap and more-than-a-minute shower.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

MID-DAY

ALFONSE, DAMIEN, AND TITUS

The three men have just checked in at the city's primary jail. ALFONSE and Titus have between them enough status that they are able to get information from the jailers without offering a gratuity (though a few follaros for the jailers' kids would be most appreciated, signores). Yes, a party matching the description given by Alfonse was locked up last night. No, they are not here now. Gone to trial, and likely already punished or released.