POVERO Chapter Nine

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Nine

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse shrugs. "She's not wrong, Fild. There's nothing stopping these two from warning him we're coming. Of course, he'd be a fool not to already expect it, and their failure to return to work could be as much of a warning, so perhaps the damage is done. In any case, I don't want to see them harmed or detained from their families. Could Holbin estate see to their accommodations until this matter is resolved?"

He addresses the staff with a series of questions, waiting for their response before asking the next. "When was the last time you saw Richard Savelle? Can you draw us a map of the estate and let us know where his guards are stationed? With whom did the lord meet in the day prior to your vacation?"
The cook says,
''I don't recall seeing the Savelle signore for, um, a week? He went hawking with the Master. I remember that. He wore a red doublet, maybe velvet? Seemed happy. About a map, I don't know much about drawing, but I told the scribbler man that works for the Holbins what I remember and he was making a map. Don't know about guards. I mean, they walk around and sometimes pester me for scraps and wine. But I guess the Master would have added more, changed things, with all this trouble...and, ummm...I don't know about his meetings. I work in the kitchen."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom decides to intervene and starts firing his questions:

"Pardon me, I understand that you probably don't know much about your Master's schedule and I do understand that you are probably afraid to talk against him, but please an innocent man's life is at stake here. So please can you tell us whatever you know about Lord Folbre? Like what time does he wakes up, have breakfast, goes out, returns, go to sleep etc. Apart of Richard Savelle does he have any other friends or associates that come often to visit him? Do you know if there are any dogs guarding the Manor? I'm trully sorry for the many questions, but details do make difference. We can trust you right? Do you want to help saving lord Richard and at the same time avoid a faction war like we do?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Tom decides to intervene and starts firing his questions:

"Pardon me, I understand that you probably don't know much about your Master's schedule and I do understand that you are probably afraid to talk against him, but please an innocent man's life is at stake here. So please can you tell us whatever you know about Lord Folbre? Like what time does he wakes up, have breakfast, goes out, returns, go to sleep etc. Apart of Richard Savelle does he have any other friends or associates that come often to visit him? Do you know if there are any dogs guarding the Manor? I'm trully sorry for the many questions, but details do make difference. We can trust you right? Do you want to help saving lord Richard and at the same time avoid a faction war like we do?"
"We can't betray the Master. But we don't want a war. Wars are bad. You said dogs? The Master has a lot of dogs. Big dogs. They eat burglars for breakfast, they do. And bloodhounds that gobble pigs. And there's Macchiato the turnspit dog; he eats kitchen scraps. You aren't going to hurt the dogs, I hope."
The cook scratches his nose.
"Oh! I recall Master met with some shifty guys who owned a vineyard somewhere in the city. Or near it. This was sometime last week. All this trouble is probably their fault. They didn't seem like honest vinters to me and the wine they brought was half vinegar. Ugh!"

The cook's wife makes a revolted grimace.
"Vinegar? More like cat piss!"
Then she glances at Trea Holbin, blushes, and ducks her head.

Holbin shows no obvious reaction, though she does seem to be paying attention.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote: "Oh! I recall Master met with some shifty guys who owned a vineyard somewhere in the city. Or near it. This was sometime last week. All this trouble is probably their fault. They didn't seem like honest vinters to me and the wine they brought was half vinegar. Ugh!"

That gets Fild's attention. "Excuse me, was the vineyard near the hill?" He describes the location of the Vineyard they have hidden Elissa at. "Could you perhaps describe those shifty fellows better?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote: "Oh! I recall Master met with some shifty guys who owned a vineyard somewhere in the city. Or near it. This was sometime last week. All this trouble is probably their fault. They didn't seem like honest vinters to me and the wine they brought was half vinegar. Ugh!"

That gets Fild's attention. "Excuse me, was the vineyard near the hill?" He describes the location of the Vineyard they have hidden Elissa at. "Could you perhaps describe those shifty fellows better?"
The Cook says,
"I did not actually go to the vineyard, but that could be the one, from what they said about which way and how far their vineyard was. A hill? In the city bounds where things thin out some, west of the Bay Road a long walk? I think I know the place you mean. But that vineyard went out of business years ago, I thought."
He shrugs.
"I didn't get the best look at the men, but I recall they looked and talked more like laborers or tavern ruffians, than the kind of gentlemen farmers the Master usually sees for that kind of business. Was five of them. Two of the bigger ones looked like they could be related, maybe brothers or cousins. Rough clothes. Rough talk, too. He sent them away without buying their wine. "

The cook's wife adds,
"And no wine stains on their fingers. "

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"And then, they tried to rob him... and we got involved."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Pretty smart fellow this Lord Folbre I have to say...What about his daily schedule? For example what time he gets his meals? I think you should know this since you are the cook."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

The revelation that the villainous vintners were in league with Folbre prompts a sigh and a rub of the bridge of Alfonse's nose.

"Yes, any details you can provide regarding his schedule would be helpful. We have no interest in harming your dogs, and if it comes to that, it will likely mean we've failed," he says, privately thinking Which would be, more or less, how things always seem to turn out.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Cook turns red.
His hands begin shaking.
''His what? His schedule? Oh, no, I can't talk about that. Those rascals from the vineyard are one thing, but the Master's personal... What are you, kidnappers? Assassins?"

The man's wife steps close to him and grabs his hands.
" I'm sure the Master won't be taking his meals and going to bed at the usual times, with all this madness going on. He'll be expecting trouble."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild frowns over the discomfort they're causing to these people. It's clear that he disapproves but stills his tongue.
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse sighs. "Perhaps I should clarify why we're asking. A matter of days ago, we were contracted by Master Folbre to help facilitate a wedding between this good woman's cousin and Signore Savelle. We were to get her out of her home and to a specified place so they could be married. When we arrived with the girl, however, there were killers waiting for us, trying to murder the girl and pin it on Savelle house." He gestures. "We escaped, obviously, but when I went to report to Lord Folbre, he took me as a prisoner and forced me to bring them to the girl to try and murder her again. Folbre himself put on a mask with the rest of the brigands, barreling in on horseback, and were only stopped by the intervention of the town watch. And now, Signore Folbre is also missing. I find your loyalty to Master Folbre to be admirable, but misplaced. He is not a good man. He is an attempted murderer of women and his actions have led to a faction conflict that will likely cost even more lives. He is NOT worth protecting."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse sighs. "Perhaps I should clarify why we're asking. A matter of days ago, we were contracted by Master Folbre to help facilitate a wedding between this good woman's cousin and Signore Savelle. We were to get her out of her home and to a specified place so they could be married. When we arrived with the girl, however, there were killers waiting for us, trying to murder the girl and pin it on Savelle house." He gestures. "We escaped, obviously, but when I went to report to Lord Folbre, he took me as a prisoner and forced me to bring them to the girl to try and murder her again. Folbre himself put on a mask with the rest of the brigands, barreling in on horseback, and were only stopped by the intervention of the town watch. And now, Signore Folbre is also missing. I find your loyalty to Master Folbre to be admirable, but misplaced. He is not a good man. He is an attempted murderer of women and his actions have led to a faction conflict that will likely cost even more lives. He is NOT worth protecting."

The Cook shakes his head.
"I don't know about all that. I just know I work for him, and my father worked for his father. "

His wife holds him tighter. She whispers something in his ear.

The Cook's face blanches.

" He takes his breakfast about sunup. Luncheon at noon, before he naps. And dinner about an hour before dark. He doesn't always eat in the same place. Now, please let us go like the good gnome said. We're just poor people. We don't want to get in worse trouble between these big folk."

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom looks at Alfonse and then Fild. These people clearly were afraid and if they get them more pressure they could just inform Aldron that they are coming after him so he would be even more careful. So he just says:

"Thank you very much for your help and I'm sorry for the unpleasant questions. I do believe that you will not reveal to your master about this meeting. Knowing him, he will not take it very well and doubt he will be beileve that you haven't told us even more details. So I would keep it secret if I were you. You were never here."
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Tom looks at Alfonse and then Fild. These people clearly were afraid and if they get them more pressure they could just inform Aldron that they are coming after him so he would be even more careful. So he just says:

"Thank you very much for your help and I'm sorry for the unpleasant questions. I do believe that you will not reveal to your master about this meeting. Knowing him, he will not take it very well and doubt he will be beileve that you haven't told us even more details. So I would keep it secret if I were you. You were never here."

The cook and his wife nod in agreement.
"Right, we were never here."

Trea Holbin sends them both away under guard.

She turns her attention back to the party.

"Now, about Folbre House, I have a map in the works. It won't be perfect , but it should be helpful."

Some commotion and muffled shouting in the hall distracts her. She looks toward the doorway.

The door swings open. A young watchman rushes in and shouts,
"The city's under attack!"

Trea Holbin stands.
" What's going on?"

The young man
VIEW CONTENT:
Gubbio
catches his breath.
"Pirates, signorina. Lots! They got into the wharf hiding in the holds of cargo ships. They swarmed out when the inspectors boarded. They're burning every Holbin and Savelle office and ship and storehouse."

Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

The entirety of the conversation was spent listening and collecting as much information as he could. Lowen may have had a basic understanding of what was going on, but particulars could still be of use once noted for later.

Rising from his chair, the wizard closed his tome, and began putting away his accoutrements. "I would assume the time for discussion is over. One thing last to note; I may be a lowly mage, but I can still provide support where it is needed. If there is a warrior among us who does not have a shield, if they are willing, I can cast a spell of protection on them to assist them in battle. Albeit, the actual casting will have to wait until right before we enter battle so as to maximize the duration. Such things do not last forever, sadly."