Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SIX

Post by ewancummins »

BENN

AFTER LEAVING WITH THE SWORDSMEN, VIA ROWBOAT

The men don't speak as they row Benn out into the midstream waters.
One man taps time out with his fist on the hull, as the others pull at the oars, driving the slender boat faster and faster upriver with the current aiding their efforts.

For a moment, Benn thinks he spots the Briar rose ahead, but in the morning haze over the water, with no wind to clear the vapors and smoke intermingled with falling ash, that bulk ahead could be any large watercraft painted a light color. And it soon passes from sight, beyond a castellated island.

The rowers pull on until the vessel draws near one of the larger midstream islands, where an imposingly tall palace of old-fashioned, dark masonry rises over terraced gardens bounded by iron fences and masonry walls covered in brown creepers.
Delanuit, seat of the famous--those who place faith in nasty rumors might say infamous-- Reniers of Pont-a-Mouseau.

Benn sees bridges connecting the island of the palace to smaller islets, and one running west to the riverbank. The last time he was here, years ago, he came over that longer bridge.

The Renier henchmen moor the boat at a small pier of marble, half-hidden by bulrushes, and help Benn up onto a paved walkway that wends up the slope of the island toward the east-facing gardens.

They lead on, taking him through a series of gates, under archways of cherry trees, and into the palace through a postern set in the wall near the cherries.
Down halls half in sunlight, half in shadow, with tall narrow windows of amber glass, through a maze of narrower wood-paneled galleries and chambers, and into the grand salon with its chandelier, fine upholstered furniture, oil paintings, and new-fangled piano.

A husky but feminine voice calls from behind a silk screen in a far corner of the large chamber,
“I’ll be out in a moment. I’m just changing.”

If the lady’s guards are scandalized by such informality, the feeling doesn’t register on their blunt, hard faces.

A moment later, Jacqueline Renier steps around the screen, wearing a blue silk gown, low cut, jeweled slippers, and a string of pearls.
She twists her long black and gray hair into a love knot and slides into a pile of cushions on a couch.
“Bennedict.”
The huskiness is gone, replaced by a light, sweet tone.
She smiles. Pearly teeth, perfect and small.
Renier doesn’t appear to have aged a day since he saw her last, several years ago. Still lovely, dagger-slim, with dark eyes that don’t betray her emotions and fair skin that shows no trace of the lead powder wealthy and fashionable ladies have taken to wearing in recent months.

“I do wish I’d been able to meet your Charlotte before she departed the city. A handsome woman. And she’s given you two children.’’

Jacqueline motions to a chair set near the couch.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DORGIO AND OTHERS

AT THE WATERFRONT

KAT hasn't arrived yet, if she's coming.

And now Benn has gone with strangers, out onto the river.

Workers ignore the group as they hustle about their tasks, unloading and loading cargo, repairing nets, tarring a boat hull, etc.

Things look pretty nearly normal, apart from the thin rain of ash.
That, and the way many of the workmen wear hats pulled low, sleeves rolled down, and scarves wound round their faces. All that covering up while laboring doesn't look comfortable in such muggy, warm, windless conditions (anyone in the party actually wearing armor know how it feels, of course! Sweaty).
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara looks around and says in low voice:

"We should probably get going. Since there is some time till rendezvous I suggest we go back and inform Thom as well, he might want to join us."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen is thoughtful. He doesn't speak much since last night, lost in thought. He does carry with him a cheap umbrella though to keep the ash away.
He turns to the others "Should we wait for Kat?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict sweeps his hat off quickly, giving a stiff bow. "Madam Renier. I'm certain she would have been delighted to make your acquaintance. Some current business, however, has required that they depart the city with some urgency. We'll have to try and meet sometime after they return," he says, not meaning his words in the slightest. He stands, placing the hat back on his head. He comes to join her near the cushions, sitting far enough away to maintain propriety. "You'll pardon me for seeming rushed, but I am in the middle of a very important investigation, and I have a number of other open cases with the Gendarmies. May I inquire as to your need for my services?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENNEDICT

AT
DELANUIT

Adam wrote:Bennedict sweeps his hat off quickly, giving a stiff bow. "Madam Renier. I'm certain she would have been delighted to make your acquaintance. Some current business, however, has required that they depart the city with some urgency. We'll have to try and meet sometime after they return," he says, not meaning his words in the slightest. He stands, placing the hat back on his head. He comes to join her near the cushions, sitting far enough away to maintain propriety. "You'll pardon me for seeming rushed, but I am in the middle of a very important investigation, and I have a number of other open cases with the Gendarmies. May I inquire as to your need for my services?"

''Certainly."
She twitches her nose.
"The black cloud...my sages say it is supernatural. Not harmful, they think, at least not yet. It is the sign of an alien, evil presence in this city."
Jacqueline's expression sours, all trace of the smile of a moment ago gone.
"I wanted you to look into this matter for me, to learn what you could of the cloud and the black ash, whatever strangeness is afoot. But if you are too busy to help..."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict inwardly sighs in relief. "As it happens, madam, my compatriots and I were already investigating this matter," he says, "It's been concerning to us as well. We've contracted an alchemist to try and determine the qualities of the ash itself, as it seems to sublimate upon contact with the skin. We've also noticed odd behavior from the rats of the sewers, fleeing into the river en masse. Perhaps related, perhaps not."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENNEDICT

Adam wrote:Bennedict inwardly sighs in relief. "As it happens, madam, my compatriots and I were already investigating this matter," he says, "It's been concerning to us as well. We've contracted an alchemist to try and determine the qualities of the ash itself, as it seems to sublimate upon contact with the skin. We've also noticed odd behavior from the rats of the sewers, fleeing into the river en masse. Perhaps related, perhaps not."
''Yes, the rats' flight. I've heard about that. Another sign of evil, no doubt. Signs and omens... I've made inquiries about consulting a Vistana. A breed of knaves, but the wanderers do have their uses, as you also seem to appreciate. Gypsy sooth-saying can be difficult to unravel. Perhaps you would go in place of my servants?''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict's face twists doubtfully. "I can do this," he says, "Though I admit some trepidation regarding involving that sort of mysticism in an already uncertain situation. I've had dealings with the Vistani in the past that...didn't turn out favorably." In the back of his mind, he thinks of a dwarven friend wandering into the mist, only to return as a shadow years later.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict's face twists doubtfully. "I can do this," he says, "Though I admit some trepidation regarding involving that sort of mysticism in an already uncertain situation. I've had dealings with the Vistani in the past that...didn't turn out favorably." In the back of his mind, he thinks of a dwarven friend wandering into the mist, only to return as a shadow years later.

Jacqueline nods.
"I understand. It could be risky. You'll be compensated, of course."
She gestures toward one of the swordsmen hanging back near the doorway Benn was led through.
"Go fetch the coffer from the next room."

While she waits for her underling to return with the box, the lady makes small talk with Benn, apparently either missing or else ignoring his discomfort.

Soon, the swordsman returns carrying a hardwood coffer set with bronze furniture.
He places the container on the couch between Jacqueline and Benn, and returns to his corner.

Lady Renier suddenly leans forward and draws an object from her gown, reaching below her low neckline. Benn fails to avert his gaze in time and gets a look at her small, pert breasts.
If she notices that he's had a peek, she doesn't show it.
Holding the little key between her thumb and forefinger, she unlocks the coffer.

''You may take it all, if you like.''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict gulps and moves smoothly past the double entendre, looking into the coffer without preamble.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict gulps and moves smoothly past the double entendre, looking into the coffer without preamble.
Coiled inside the box, cushioned in green velvet, Benn sees a necklace of amber beads on electrum wire, a string of rosy pearls, a man's gold ring set with a moonstone, and a brooch of red gold studded with garnets.

Jacqueline scoots a little closer to the coffer and to Benn.
''Oh, but do try on that ring, Benn. It looks about the right size for you, and seeing you thus adorned would please me.''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict sighs and mentally runs through a list of priests capable of removing curses before acquiescing, sliding the ring onto an appropriately sized finger.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict sighs and mentally runs through a list of priests capable of removing curses before acquiescing, sliding the ring onto an appropriately sized finger.

The ring slides on as if it were made for him. Just tight enough, past the second knuckle.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict gives her the winningest smile he can as he holds it up. "Seems to fit wonderfully. My thanks for the gift."