Changes to the Core's geography

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IMC, Arkandle is based on Wyatt's Lonesome Road article, with my own additions and some inspiration drawn from a game run years ago by a fellow forumite[JMatyr].

I don't use Ricoba, because I love Richemulot. Besides, inserting a ' Spanish' domain in that spot seems less cool to me than just making up a brand new Iberian-style domain.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

sonofaspectre wrote:
Rotipher of the FoS wrote: I did restore [Daglan] to the game-setting, but as part of a Cluster with G'Henna, not part of the Core.
That is a really interesting idea. What did you call the cluster?
The Withered Expanse. I figured that the two domains would work well together, as they share themes of deprivation and ignorance, not-quite-humans cloaked in heavy robes, weird/morbid terrain, and fanatical evil cleric darklords. (I kept Radaga on as a wight-like spellcasting undead.) A number of fugitive mongrelmen IMC hide out among the Daglanders, and Yagno and Radaga really hate each others' guts.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

Bluetspur. Is. The. MOON!

;)

I mean, it just fits so bloody well... with vibes of War of the Worlds and the paranoia of knowing that those aberrations are up there watching everything you do... biding their time.

Also, I got rid of the Shadow Rift, and placed Nidalia and Avonleigh in there, rotated 90 degrees, so that Nidalia bordered Darkon, Falknovia, Tepest and Keening, while Avonleigh bordered Nova Vaasa, Barovia, and Borca. Vlad tried to invade Nidalia once... was really nasty, massive casualties on both sides, but Elana was eventually able to force Vlad out due to some remarkable luck for her/horribly bad luck for Vlad, which she attributed to Belanus, and Vlad attributed to the complete incompetence of his generals. I just felt Shadow Rift was too fantastic, and I felt it would be fun to have Elana mixing in with the other Darklords of the core.

Got rid of Darkon's memory-draining thing... found that detracted more than added to the domain.

Made the Shining Bay Cluster an island to the west of Dominia/southwest of Markovia.

Added in the train line from last year's QtR.

Biggest alteration of all, likely, was making Cyre, from Eberron, a domain to the west of Valachan. It only appeared out of the mists 3 years ago, so it's still a big unknown in terms of how it will affect the balance of power in the core. But considering the Last War is still being fought in Cyre with all the troops from the other nations not yet willing to lay down their weapons, they really haven't had much the chance to take stock of their new location.

There's a bit more, such as a few pocket domains from various sources added in, but I think I covered the big parts :P
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

I love the Bluetspur is the moon! That's fantastic. It is a little more high fantasy than gothic, but tying in those ideas of War of the Worlds really does help "ground" it! Good thought.

I've been considering pulling Farelle (another of my favorite underutilized domains) into the Core. It makes sense based on poor Jack's curse, and I think it would fit really well to the west of Valachan, snaking the Sea of Sorrows around with it, since the map doesn't show Valachan actually touching the coastline.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Yes, the Bluetspur moon idea has had a warm reception in recent years, both here and on the Wizards boards. Very Lovecraftian! :)
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Paladyn »

I agree, it's very nice idea. Lastly I considered it and thought about ome article but I don't want to steal ideas.
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
Twin Agate Dragons
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Twin Agate Dragons »

HuManBing wrote:Yes, the Bluetspur moon idea has had a warm reception in recent years, both here and on the Wizards boards. Very Lovecraftian! :)
Paladyn wrote:I agree, it's very nice idea. Lastly I considered it and thought about ome article but I don't want to steal ideas.
How would this affect Lycans living in Bluetspur?
[url=http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6410]Ravenloft - The Dreull Lands[/url] | [url=http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6413]Recent Updates[/url]
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Twin Dragons wrote:
HuManBing wrote:Yes, the Bluetspur moon idea has had a warm reception in recent years, both here and on the Wizards boards. Very Lovecraftian! :)
Paladyn wrote:I agree, it's very nice idea. Lastly I considered it and thought about ome article but I don't want to steal ideas.
How would this affect Lycans living in Bluetspur?
EDIT-

I have begun a new thread on the Moon o' Dread, and related heavenly matters.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Guzrath
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guzrath »

DasSoviet wrote:
Biggest alteration of all, likely, was making Cyre, from Eberron, a domain to the west of Valachan. It only appeared out of the mists 3 years ago, so it's still a big unknown in terms of how it will affect the balance of power in the core. But considering the Last War is still being fought in Cyre with all the troops from the other nations not yet willing to lay down their weapons, they really haven't had much the chance to take stock of their new location.
I love this idea. I'm running an Eberron campaign as well and might even melt the 2 together for a few sessions. This would be an excellent location for that.
Tresspassers will be shot......
Survivors will be shot again.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

...saaaay!

That is an idea. Can you tell me more? Whom did you have as the Darklord?