Spicing Up The Bride of Mordenheim

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Spicing Up The Bride of Mordenheim

Post by DoctorMoreau »

So on Wednesday, I've decided after my players have recently made their way into Ravenloft (well, some were from here) and done the Forgotten Children's "Rebirth" Adventure, that I'd like to run the Bride of Mordenheim adventure, found in the Book of Crypts. Now, I must admit I love the fact that this introduces them early into Dr. Mordenheim and it's plot is pretty simple, but twisted.

But I think it's the simple that bothers me, it feels like an encounter with Dr. Mordenheim should have... more to it. The way they just walk in to Scholoss Mordenheim, etc. When they stay the night he just kidnaps her and they can catch him.

It feels like it shouldn't take place at Schloss Mordenheim if it's that simple, but I do like how it references back to his time with Elise, so I sort of want it set there.

I have already figured out that Katrina will of course know where the mansion is (locals do it seems) and instead will seek out the players having heard of their bravery involving the ghost recently. Not wanting to go alone... having heard the stories. Then again, I don't want the players too suspicious.

For such a simple module this seems extremely difficult considering the indepthness of what the setting has become, and yeah I know the Book of Crypts was one of the first published books.

Of course, these are 1st level players, so I can't throw too much at them.
Any advice or ideas? Quick ones, I've got one more night to prepare!

After this, totally transitioning to Neither Man or Beast. Looking forward to that.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Spicing Up The Bride of Mordenheim

Post by The Giamarga »

Well I can't help with the plot of module now but seeing that Katrina von Brandthofen gets introduced there I feel the need to point to the following threads:

Bait This Hook: Katrina von Brandthofen where we discuss this NPC indepth.

This post by Deepshadow with an adventure hook featuring her (from the Adventure hook of the month - Mordent thread)

And here are cure's stats for Victor Mordenheim, using his selfmade Chirirgeon prestige class. I think I never posted my Exp5/Scientist10 version of Mordenheim, but i like it quite a lot. (Though I agree with cure that the Scientist class has problems.) If you want I'll see how jumbled my notes are and post the stats sometime soon...

More resources:
The 3E Gazetteer adds a bit of detail to Schloss Mordenheim, metioning his x-th generation cloned caliban manservant.
Domain of the Month Lamordia thread
Gryphon Hill: Lamordia (Maps and more)
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I really don't care much for the caliban manservant concept. It's a little too... I dunno classic and obvious Dr. Frankenstein.

Atleast not this time, perhaps when I run Adam's Wrath.
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Loethadai the Lurker »

Hello!! First time poster on these forums!!

I've read your dilemma, and have been pondering what would be a good course of action. I've been GMing the majority of my gaming life, and can still remember bringing home the new D&D "Basic", and "Expert" boxed sets in 1981. LOL!! Yes, I'm ancient. Canned Adventures are fun to read, and help inspire ideas, but my players, and I found them a bit tedious as the majority of the modules tended to railroad the players through the storyline. This is fine for a lot of role-players out there, but it just didn't sit quite right with us. More often than not, I use nearly all modules as sources for inspiration, and game play story lines. I may use a portion or two from certain modules, but overall I find the most interesting, and exciting games stem from the background story of your players.

I know many of you may cringe at this, but I"m an old school 2nd Edition player. My library is quite extensive when it comes to 2nd Edition, and for me to convert was just too much of a pain in my pocket book. Plus, I've been so hopelessly lost in 2nd Edition for so many years now, I know I just wouldn't feel as comfortable trying to run D&D with any other system. My motto's are: "The three tenants of role-playing are "Story! Story! Story", and "You need to learn how to ROLE-play, rather than ROLL-play!" :wink:

Getting back to the original topic, I would scrap following any module for your story line, and just use them as pieces of reference material that works well with your player character's backgrounds. I know this doesn't answer your question, but this at the very least gives you something to think about for future games. When I begin a campaign, I first try to come up with a grand scheme or storyline that the players will be involved in. The players will no doubt be the protagonists in the story, and whatever evil that has befallen them or the setting their in, the antagonist. The grand scheme is then broken up into a series of adventures. Each of which, I plan out the events in an outline, or "bullet point" format. I don't try to write down the step by step particulars. I write down whatever monsters, or creatures they might encounter in a particular location, any major events that are worth noting, and are part of the major storyline, and just leave it that way. Whatever NPCs they might encounter I jot down their motives, and what part they play in the overall story, but leave it open to changes as the game goes on. By keeping the format of the game loose, this gives the players the feeling of anonymity, and freedom to do whatever they feel their characters would do, given any circumstance. Plus, this allows you to adjust things as you feel necessary in order to keep the integrity of the storyline intact. As DM, you have your "outline" of how the story should progress, and when the players start to stray a little too far from the path, you just give them a little nudge in the right direction through storyline. It's important to keep this relatively subtle as you don't want the players to loose that feeling of anonymity.

This serves as another alternative rather than trying to alter a "canned adventure" to fit your character's background, and the current storyline. It gives you the freedom to create the framework for your storyline without being confined to what the author of the module/adventure has written. Use the "Bride of Mordenheim" adventure if you wish, but use it as a "model" for you to create your own adventure, and fill it with story line that works best with your players. You can still use the key NPC's, and their motives, but just in your own way. I think if you try this, you'll be pleasantly surprised as to how well things turn out. Just my 2 cents. Happy gaming! :D
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I appreciate the post, and agree with you in a lot of ways of course.

The thing is, I have ran my own campaign from scratch, which I was very proud of. It lasted two years and ended quite well. It was fun to wrap up of course, and I used much of my source material fully.

This campaign, I actually put together to try running as many modules as possible, because I have a full Ravenloft collection, and they've collected dust for years. I've ran my own campaign as I said, with original story, but I want to see how others have done it so I can draw on that knowledge.

So, this campaign is centered around adapting the old Modules to True20 and running them, besides, many of them are quite acclaimed.

After this, well, my next campaign will certainly be something to watch out for.
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Loethadai the Lurker »

I see. Well, I wish I could give you some advice on this, but to be honest, I'm not familiar with the "Bride of Mordenheim" adventure. The "Book of Crypts" is one of the few accessories I don't have. LOL!! I've wanted it for years, I just haven't gotten around to getting it. I wish you the best of luck with your game. Be sure to let us know what you eventually ended up doing. I'm sure it'll be interesting. :wink:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Loethadai the Lurker wrote:The "Book of Crypts" is one of the few accessories I don't have. LOL!! I've wanted it for years, I just haven't gotten around to getting it.
To be honest, it's more interesting as a piece of Ravenloft history than as playable adventures in and of themselves.

The Kelly Freas artwork is pretty cool, though.
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by woodsdarkman »

Well here a couple of ideas. I do have Book of Crypts and the adventure is short and missing something. It is only logical that given the current history a DM would add something. Adam could always make an appearance, but if you plan on playing Adam's Wrath with the same people, I would keep Adam in the background as an unseen menace. After all Adam could get one of his children to act in his stead.

The Living Brain could always make an appearance since this adventure could take place some years before current history. Any good NPC from the domain in some of the past products can be part of the adventure. It is a perfect opportunity to build on Mordenheim's history and set up Adam's Wrath.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Well, I didn't quite get into the meat of the adventure tonight, I will admit, as I thought I would. They took longer to wrap up "Rebirth" than I'd expected. However, I did concept Horg quite a bit and stat him (for True20 atleast). However, to avoid initial jokes about him, I didn't introduce him at first, instead he will be a combat encounter to try and stop the PCs from saving Katrina (very likely with him involved).

I'd also rather he protect Mordenheim who gets away rather than going into Mordenheim's regeneration/soul transference. But I figure they will kill Horg, which will be good, since the Doctor will clone another and I can use him again the future.

And after they do fight him, I doubt they will snicker at the Caliban again. Should be a good combat encounter to round out the adventure. I must admit being more fond of the "Bad End" for Katrina so the players can see Mordenheim's curse in action.

Still, if they manage to save her, I don't mind the way the Fraternity reconcepted her at all.

So far, that's what I've added, as they've only just made it to the Castle and are staying the night just now. There is still room to add more things.

Oh, by the way, if you ever run the adventure, what the hell is with mentioning giant feet dust prints? It's not like Adam just strolls around frequently in Mordenheim's own lab. One of my players tried to point that out to him and call him on that. Completely distracted from the mood, leave the mention out if you do this.

Other than that though, the descriptions of the house and the sounds are so.... vivid. That's probably always been my weakness in the past.