HLoM: The Firebird, Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: HLoM: The Firebird, Chapter 1

Post by NeoTiamat »

ImageImage

"You really do seem to have the strangest effect on the animals, Sir Blackwood." Lena had been saying, her voice pitched low as she followed Søren Thott and his hellhounds. It had seemed like a good idea before (certainly better than trying to explain matters to an Inquisitor), but all else being equal Lena was dearly hoping this wouldn't end in violence. It wasn't really her thing. When the hellhounds spotted something, she went still, watching and listening. Ushka lifted her nose to the air and sniffed.

Perception +20! Also Scent.
[dice]0[/dice] Total: 30
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

NeoTiamat wrote:"You really do seem to have the strangest effect on the animals, Sir Blackwood." Lena had been saying, her voice pitched low as she followed Søren Thott and his hellhounds.
"I-I-I cannot account for why," Richard said quietly from the back, where he was aiding the tracking expedition by staying as far away from the hounds as possible. The noise of his armor he could do little about, the sound of the metal echoed off the cave walls. "More is the pity, for they are-are fascinating creatures."

When the hounds paused Richard put his hand on his sword, but didn't draw it just yet. "Are-are they near?" he murmured. "Can anyone tell-tell who it is?"
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Mm," Altan replied noncommittally. "That was considerably more unnerving than I anticipated. Whatever the case, we will need an alibi. Perhaps we followed Horst down there and discovered what they were up to. Will anyone miss him if he is implicated?"
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Freiherr Thott wrote:Well. I'm for the kennel, then the tunnels. Anyone with me? Blackwood? You're dressed for a party already, I can see.”
“I will help you if I can.” Avram nodded briskly. “I have heard some things about the Slaves of Iblis…if the smallest part of those stories are true, then I feel I would be useful in stopping them. Without violence, of course. If possible.” He cast a glance of acknowledgement at Richard. The hetman wasn’t editorializing at all on the plan ahead, but he sounded more direct somehow — more purposeful.
Freiherr Jarenberg wrote:“I understand he offered you a room for the night, Goodman ben Mansur, and you seem to have some idea where he's gone--can you set us on the right track? And would you care to come with us? You did seem to rather hit it off with him.”
“Thank you for your faith in me, Freiherr…but I would not pin any of our hopes on a shared taste for discussing the Black Trials. If it is acceptable to you, I feel I would be of my best service below, with the others. As for where one might find Goodman Varreg…one might begin with the upper walls, or out at the gate. He likes to take the air before bed.”

Avram paused behind the others, vigilant, touching the holy symbol around his neck. He had briefly detoured away from the group at the beginning of the expedition to apologize profusely and non-incriminatingly to Ayala. (Nobles! Always calling you away to serve them at the least convenient times, for ill-defined reasons! Looks like we'll have to postpone the manhunt for a little while, huh?) Since then, he had been quiet but unflagging, keeping an eye out for the least sign of trouble.
Revka et al
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Revka et al »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"I'll come with you, Landsyf," Renhalt says. "It can't hurt to have a Jarenberg present.
Cattia begs the Landsyf's forgiveness. "I'm afraid some Jarenbergs would be more useful than others in such an endeavor. I am not among them. I've no head for intrigues, and I'm not of much help with drug-addled cultists or determined inquisitors. I honestly believe my best use is with the other guests, keeping them preoccupied and making sure no one suspects what's happening."

With that Cattia retreats from the group, heading in the direction of the music.

Diplomacy +13 to come across...less than completely selfish.
[dice]0[/dice]
Revka "Eisenmadchen" Regess
"A sword does not a warrior make." --Kara's Daughter's Motto
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Image ImageImageImageImage
Nathan of the FoS wrote: Suddenly one of the hellhounds bays--it has scented someone. Søren asks, "Yarek?" and the hellhound shakes its head briskly, its eyes narrowed.
Ahead of you someone ducks his head around the corner, then emerges slowly, staggering slightly. "Søren? Is that you? What's going on? Why the hounds? I felt my heart between my teeth when that thing howled just now."

"Horst," Søren says coolly. "The Inquisition is upstairs. Where's Yarek?"
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

ImageImageImage

You find Rastem at the main gate, and not alone; he is conversing with a tall middle-aged Mulani man dressed in grey, with antlers wreathing his temples, and a dozen or so armed men also in grey stand behind them, while a small group of Rashemani retainers in Thott colors led by a Mulani with the sparrowhawk totem face off with them. Renhalt breathes in sharply. "Abtor," he mutters. "I think that's Marcellus."

"My mother-in-law's brother?" Helja asks. "That...is problematic." Sweeping forward confidently, she makes her odd clucking sound and then bows to Marcellus. "Jernspogmaler Abtor," she says. "How very unexpected. The blessings of Law and Light be upon you this New Year."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Kaitou Kage wrote:"Mm," Altan replied noncommittally. "That was considerably more unnerving than I anticipated. Whatever the case, we will need an alibi. Perhaps we followed Horst down there and discovered what they were up to. Will anyone miss him if he is implicated?"
"No good," Yarek says, putting his head between his knees. "He'll just finger us, and they'll force us to testify under seal of truth, which will put all three of us on the Tables. Most of the others can't swear they know for a certainty we were there. Better if we can just...not get questioned."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Mm, that would be ideal, wouldn't it?" Altan asked. "Still, I would prefer we agree on what we are doing down here before anyone discovers us. Perhaps we simply got lost after we followed someone we didn't recognize."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

ImageImage

"A mutual acquaintance?" Lena said mildly, stepping up as she looked over the Mulani they had just uncovered. She favored him with a thoroughly dazzling and remarkably insincere smile. "Pleasure to meet you, Freiherr Horst. I don't suppose you've seen anything odd down here?... Why are you down here?"

Sense Motive +22 for the Inevitable Lies
[dice]0[/dice] Total: 26
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Freyin von Zarovich wrote:"Pleasure to meet you, Freiherr Horst. I don't suppose you've seen anything odd down here?... Why are you down here?"
Well, this was going to be interesting. Avram stayed silent, behind the others, looking extremely stern and unshakable for a kindly old Rashemani man.

Sense ALL THE MOTIVES +16
[dice]0[/dice]
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Kaitou Kage wrote:"Mm, that would be ideal, wouldn't it?" Altan asked. "Still, I would prefer we agree on what we are doing down here before anyone discovers us. Perhaps we simply got lost after we followed someone we didn't recognize."
"Gotta stick close to the…truth," Yarek replies, getting to his feet. "We came down here for a party, it got kinda crazy, we don't know much about what happened or who was there, we decided to leave to get some fresh air. I don't know. Something like that. Maybe you got lost, I'm supposed to know my way around down here."

Squinting blearily around, he says, "Usually that's even true. Oh, my head. I think it's this way."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Workable," Altan nodded. "But we did not realize it was the cult. And when I found out, I extricated you from the scene."

The sorcerer pursed his lips. "I have witnessed friends die on the Tables. I do not wish to be on one. So we must disavow all knowledge that this was anything except a regular party that got out of hand."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Image ImageImageImageImage

"Yarek brought me down here for a private party, and it got a little bit out of hand," Horst replies. "I think it's breaking up. They're…back there somewhere." He gestures broadly. "You must be the Baroness von Zarovich I heard so much about. I'm sorry we meet under such awkward circumstances." His gaze wanders over the rest of the group. "The Inquisition, you say, cousin Søren. Always crashing the party, aren't they. Perhaps I'll go up and mingle a bit. Clear my head. If you'll excuse me?"

He walks toward you, apparently quite calm.

Nothing in his words or manner suggests he's not telling the truth. There may be just a hint of an implied threat in his explicit mention of Yarek as the one who invited him.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"I have witnessed friends die on the Tables. I do not wish to be on one. So we must disavow all knowledge that this was anything except a regular party that got out of hand."
"Yes. I heard about that," Yarek replies. "Pretty scary stuff. I don't think they'd let it happen to a Landsherr, but if the Autark insisted…" His voice dies away. "Well. Whatever happens, we can get you off. I invited you, you didn't know, you got me out."