Headless Horseman - Brainstorming

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Headless Horseman - Brainstorming

Post by Hazgarn »

DarkCrusader wrote:Hazgarn- Where does the bogeyman subtype come from? Glad you like the Dread Revenant idea. Dread Revenants are rather... focused. The Headless Horseman is usually depicted as indiscriminate.
Bogeymen are described in Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends. They're a type of fey unique to Ravenloft. They are almost more of a phenomenon than a creature: they can appear anywhere that stories about them are told within range of a Sinkhole of Evil.

(I'm away from books right now, or I'd try to give a more detailed description.)
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

DarkCrusader wrote:
Zilfer- When tossing about ideas as broad as mine, I can't really claim to have a campaign set in stone. Your idea is pretty awesome, though you are right, that's rather campaign specific. Your reasoning about the undead is sound. I do not like the idea of the Headless Horseman collecting heads for someone else though. Then the story becomes about someone else, rather the Horseman. That was one of the central failings of Tim Burton's movie I felt.
Yeah, I figure it's too specified for most people to use in their campaign but hey you never know when one small little detail might break someone else's mind out of a box and give them a really good idea. My mind on the subject still isn't even made up at this point until it falls down to the session with the player I'm still open to ideas or reworks. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Just had another idea, does there have to be just one Headless Horseman? What if his existence wasn't so much a property of the way the man lived so much as the way he died? Such as being executed by a cursed axe or guillotine that periodically its victims them back as restless dead or some such.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

There is a Ravenloft domain in the crowd sourcing domain cluster that is a Guilliotine if I recall… maybe they are predominate there? The dullahan Myth is they ride up and where they stop someone dies, or who they splash with blood after knocking on their door and them answering. Could be the next Guilliotine victim?

A Dullahan was used in the Scourange book Dance of the Dead, though it was just a brief brief appearance and I DO NOT think it was the Darklord.

MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Rite Publishing recently released a 5e and PF version of the Headless Horseman as a monster template along with some feats. I just noticed this, and thought it worth posting in this thread.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Reading the description of that Product i just had a thought. What if Jacqueline Montarri was using this "legend" as a way to collect heads and throw people that might be hunting her off her trail. Someone hunting an Undead might go about it differently than hunting.... well whatever the heck she is. I think it should be one of the tools in her "tool box" shall we say. (Sorry about slight thread jack here. xD)

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Well for what it is worth, when I think of the Headless Horseman, I think of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. Don't know if that helps you any, but it is my one cent worth ;)
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Fey's not a horrible idea, but you really need to round it out with some character levels to off-set the fey type's weak BAB and Hit Points.
Undead is the easiest. Corporeal Ghosts, angry Walking Dead, Ancient Dead out to prove a point.
When all else fails a mist creature lets you do whatever you want with an excuse to tack on extra powers.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Zilfer wrote:There is a Ravenloft domain in the crowd sourcing domain cluster that is a Guilliotine if I recall… maybe they are predominate there? The dullahan Myth is they ride up and where they stop someone dies, or who they splash with blood after knocking on their door and them answering. Could be the next Guilliotine victim?

A Dullahan was used in the Scourange book Dance of the Dead, though it was just a brief brief appearance and I DO NOT think it was the Darklord.
Maybe EVERY guillotine would be a bit much. I was thinking a limited number of cursed guillotines that held peoples souls or something like the Final Blades from the Pathfinder Campaign Setting/Golarion. The blades would basically do something like chop the person's soul into two pieces like it separated the person's head from his body.