[VRGtR]: Alhoon's ramblings and discussions of them

Discussing all things Ravenloft
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [VRGtR]: Alhoon's ramblings and discussions of them

Post by onmyoji »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:It completely misses the point to say “use x monster stats” because Darklords were never just “x monster” and that was because the had done something so heinous as to become a darklord, that their darklord powers elevated them above the normal ranks of their kind.
Agreed, but if you look at Strahd in CoS, he's basically the exact same thing as a 5E vampire, only with slightly elevated stats and legendary actions. 95% of the text in that full-page description is identical. I was quite disillusioned when I found out he's basically a normal vampire with an extra level or two.

— onmyoji
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

onmyoji wrote:
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:It completely misses the point to say “use x monster stats” because Darklords were never just “x monster” and that was because the had done something so heinous as to become a darklord, that their darklord powers elevated them above the normal ranks of their kind.
Agreed, but if you look at Strahd in CoS, he's basically the exact same thing as a 5E vampire, only with slightly elevated stats and legendary actions. 95% of the text in that full-page description is identical. I was quite disillusioned when I found out he's basically a normal vampire with an extra level or two.

— onmyoji
But even that is something.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
onmyoji wrote:

— onmyoji
But even that is something.
Oh of course. I agree 100%. But my point is that it's only marginally less lazy than what was done in VRGtR. It's not like they gave Strahd a truly unique and novel stat block from scratch and then decided none of the other darklords needed the same.

— onmyoji
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I am not talking about Darklords. I am talking about everyone - the least of which IMO is darklords. I honestly mind not having darklord stats less than I mind having "Use assassin (CR8) or spy (CR1 - int 12) for Van Richten". At least, using Veteran for Laurie seems kiiinda decent although they could have at least said "and add survival" in there.
Furthermore, the "generic vampire option: spellcaster" in the monster manual is Strahd. Not something that works for Strahd, but Strahd. Now, using Strahd's stats without magic for Jander and Lyssa von Zarovich is weird. And it is also weird for all other D&D products as vampires went from mid-level threats to uber-villains. Which my sister likes BTW as she thinks vampires should not be easy-peasy but people should be saying "beware those mountains... (whisper) there's a vampire there!"
onmyoji wrote: Agreed, but if you look at Strahd in CoS, he's basically the exact same thing as a 5E vampire, only with slightly elevated stats and legendary actions. 95% of the text in that full-page description is identical. I was quite disillusioned when I found out he's basically a normal vampire with an extra level or two.
I strongly disagree (see above). :)
That "generic" 5e vampire was Strahd. We don't have the rank-and-file vampire in D&D anymore, we have Strahd and Strahd-before-Azalin-taught-him-magic. Whenever I want to use a vampire, I have to make one up, because the 5e vampire is Strahd. It was lazy to put STRAHD there, instead of waiting for the obvious revamp of the Ravenloft adventure that happens 1-2 times per edition.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

alhoon wrote:I strongly disagree (see above). :)
That "generic" 5e vampire was Strahd. We don't have the rank-and-file vampire in D&D anymore, we have Strahd and Strahd-before-Azalin-taught-him-magic. Whenever I want to use a vampire, I have to make one up, because the 5e vampire is Strahd. It was lazy to put STRAHD there, instead of waiting for the obvious revamp of the Ravenloft adventure that happens 1-2 times per edition.
You've definitely got a point. Mine was more that the differences between Strahd's statblock in CoS and those presented as generic in the MM (including the spellcaster variant) are slight—basically just legendary and lair actions. I hadn't considered that the direction of borrowing could be in the reverse, especially since the MM was published in 2014 and CoS in 2016. Though WotC being lazy back then isn't at all surprising given VRGtR. And either way, it's still quite disenchanting that random 5E adventure vampires (for example, the one in White Plume Mountain) are nearly evenly matched with Strahd, magic excepted.

— onmyoji
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I will start by saying that I am ignorant on the 5e and 4e rules in general. To me they seemed simplified compared to 3e, maybe I am wrong so if I am please correct me. I will talk more on the transition from 2e to 3e (In no way saying that any system is better than another I am just expressing my experience from the transition from 2e to 3e). I have played hundred times more in 2e than 3e, for me the rules of 2e are almost embedded in my mind and would be by far easier to play for me and create adventures in that system. But when Ravenloft turned to 3e it also opened a door to 3e rules and most importantly the diversity of character creation in 3e. When we played 2e and a character happened to die they would usually be replaced by a same class character but with different stats. Maybe this was a mistake that me and the rest of my party would do, but I believe that the character creation rules of 3e supported the creation of a different character not only in role playing but also in game mechanics. I have no idea how 4e and 5e work but from what I 've read for VRGtR everything i more generic. Maybe PC's are not but NPC's seem to be. So how come is this new book seen as diverse in a social way but at the same time not diverse in character game mechanics? How is it possible to have the generic stats for important NPC's while at the same time having the right view that every individual is different and accepted? (if they behave in an acceptable way off course)... What I mean is how diverse and individuals are the characters that have been created when they are given only generic stats? Is everything based on how the DM role plays them? Because in 3e official products every important NPC is different.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Mephisto wrote:I will start by saying that I am ignorant on the 5e and 4e rules in general. To me they seemed simplified compared to 3e, maybe I am wrong so if I am please correct me.
I have no idea how 4e and 5e work but from what I 've read for VRGtR everything i more generic. Maybe PC's are not but NPC's seem to be.
I can't speak for 4E, but pretty much everything is more generalized (often to a fault) in 5E. I've only played a little bit of 3E/PF1, and that involved exponentially more moving parts and numbers to keep track of. The idea for 5E seemed to be to simplify everything they could so that nearly anyone could pick up a book and play. Personally, that was my first real intro to D&D as I'd only kind of half-ass played a 3E campaign about 15 years ago that I don't remember at all. And 5E was good for awhile. But then we upgraded to Pathfinder 2, which is much more rules-heavy (though not as much as 3E/PF1), and it was then that I realized 5E felt like "training wheels," and there was so much more I could do now that our table had taken them off.

But it's more than just mechanic generalizations, though that is the lion's share of it. Even the canonical dates that modules happen—or WHERE they happen—is disputable. I get making details like this a bit more generic so they can fit anywhere, but I'd rather they just print that information and leave DMs to ignore/alter it as they choose.

But yeah. "D&D for everyone!" is pretty much the ethos of 5E.
Mephisto wrote:So how come is this new book seen as diverse in a social way but at the same time not diverse in character game mechanics? How is it possible to have the generic stats for important NPC's while at the same time having the right view that every individual is different and accepted? (if they behave in an acceptable way off course)... What I mean is how diverse and individuals are the characters that have been created when they are given only generic stats? Is everything based on how the DM role plays them? Because in 3e official products every important NPC is different.
I honestly don't know. I can't help but see much of the "diversity" in the new book as pandering, though you already know that from our discussion of a much cooler way to have justified Viktra Mordenheim.

Honestly, there's not a lot of diversity in 5E characters because of how simplistically they're molded. They're easy to learn, which is great for bringing new players to the table. But once you've made a few different characters of the same class (even with different subclasses), they all just kinda start to blend together unless you start going crazy with homebrewed/fan-made materials. Not to plug PF2, but character creation is SUBSTANTIALLY more dynamic. Much of the classes have been distilled into feats that you select frequently throughout the game. Even if you make three boring fighters that are the same subclass, there's enough variety available to make them all unique in their own ways. 5E designers didn't look at options like that from the beginning, so anything they do character-wise is building up onto a much smaller foundation than other versions of D&D as well as competitor systems. There are, by definition, only so many ways 5E character options can expand. PF2, on the other hand, is about to release four new base classes in addition to the 16 they've already released since 2019.

As to why that isn't considered when the whole point of this book is arguably to add more diversity and inclusion: Well, my answer is still that I think it's largely pandering to fans.—or at least the section on the extant domains is. To be absolutely clear, I am a huge proponent of diversity and inclusion in gaming, and my comments here should not be in any way construed to contradict this. That said, I feel that a lot of vocal fans have been pushing for more inclusion (and rightfully so), but are willing to accept even the tiniest of breadcrumbs and praise them as revolutionary, rather than pushing for actual well-designed minority/LGBTQ+ characters.

There's also the consideration of the vocal media today, in which often one of the first messages regarding a game's pros or cons gets blasted so loud that most people simply repeat it. Someone thought what WotC did here was revolutionary, so that's all we're hearing outside this forum. It reminds me of when the Last of Us 2 came out and certain blogs chastised how it depicted trans people and their struggle. I am not trans, but looking into the game further, I honestly don't see what everyone got up in arms about (my wife does LGBTQ studies and she didn't see it either). So that's also a significant factor at least in this day and age.

— onmyoji
yaoihuntressearth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by yaoihuntressearth »

I just got my copy of the book in the mail today and I've read chunks of it. I understand they couldn't keep everything that White Wolf did with the series so that mean no more Calibans (humanoids mutated by foul magic in the womb, their answer to Half-Orcs), outcast ratings, and the plotlines were ignored.

On the bright side they redid I'Cath from scratch and vastly improved it given that it was a pretty crappy domain back in 2nd ed. On the other side, maaaaannnnn did they do a lot of gender-swapping and replacing of the original darklords. I was especially disappointed that Adam and Dr. Mordenheim were kicked out like they didn't exist since I liked them in the other editions. Nor did I like how they reduced Garbrielle (a tragic and complex DL).

I'll read more, but so far, I think the book is ok.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

yaoihuntressearth wrote:I just got my copy of the book in the mail today and I've read chunks of it. I understand they couldn't keep everything that White Wolf did with the series so that mean no more Calibans (humanoids mutated by foul magic in the womb, their answer to Half-Orcs), outcast ratings, and the plotlines were ignored.

On the bright side they redid I'Cath from scratch and vastly improved it given that it was a pretty crappy domain back in 2nd ed. On the other side, maaaaannnnn did they do a lot of gender-swapping and replacing of the original darklords. I was especially disappointed that Adam and Dr. Mordenheim were kicked out like they didn't exist since I liked them in the other editions. Nor did I like how they reduced Garbrielle (a tragic and complex DL).

Yeah, I will keep the old Lamordia too. Not impressed with that. Hardly something I could use either there. But the book has merits in different areas.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Well my lamordia does have steam, trains and other steampunk tecnologies.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto wrote: What I mean is how diverse and individuals are the characters that have been created when they are given only generic stats? Is everything based on how the DM role plays them? Because in 3e official products every important NPC is different.
Generic stats? We are lucky if we get stats at all.
But yes, they are very diverse in personalities, ethos, motivation and curses. More than the old game if I may say so.
And of course, the "stats" 100% drop the ball. Because we're given a character that is a smart monster hunter with a complex background and a prosthetic leg... and then we're told "and she has the stats of this int 12 low power NPC or the stats of this int 14 very powerful NPC" To say it in terms of 3E:
It's like saying "you can use the stats of the 2nd lvl rogue from DMG manual, or the stats of the 9th lvl rogue from DMG" The end. And you open the DMG to find out that the rogue has intelligence 10 or something. And no skills in monster hunting.

Another example: Laurie Weathermay: " Laurie, taking after her uncle, trained in martial techniques to combat the undead. She rarely travels without her companions Joan and Tirran, the grown pups of her uncle’s foxhounds, and her uncle’s magic sword, Gossamer."
Stat-wise? "Use this plate armored two-weapons-fighting fighter". No word about what the heck this sword does, what those undead fighting techniques do etc etc.

On other news, words from Van (you may remember Van, my sister that was very active in the Role playing parts till her life limited the amount of time she could put into games).

She loves the Duchess that disintegrates imposters and wannabes.
I told you, the new domain (we should really find a name) is nice and will be popular.
PS. I have not told her that this is the new Dementlieu.
Last edited by alhoon on Thu May 27, 2021 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:the new domain (we should really find a name) is nice and will be popular.
PS. I have not told her that this is the new Dementlieu.
Imposteur = imposter

Faux-lieu = wrong place

Citrouille = pumpkin :mrgreen:

Citrouilieu = pumpkin place :azalin:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

In just over a week, people here have shown more creativity with new domains than the writers have in, I would hazard a guess at least 6 months of writing.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

yaoihuntressearth wrote:I just got my copy of the book in the mail today and I've read chunks of it. I understand they couldn't keep everything that White Wolf did with the series so that mean no more Calibans (humanoids mutated by foul magic in the womb, their answer to Half-Orcs), outcast ratings, and the plotlines were ignored.

It remind me a lot the comic industry and why it is failing hard. Rather than creating new characters, they just gender swap them and i find lazyness (or lack of creativity) can only justify such gender swapping, in Ravenloft or comics, because almost all the darklords of the black box were based on historical or fictionnal characters that impacted their time.
Rather than doing such lazy thing (because it is lazy), why not create new characters ? They don't like D'Honaire ? Just create a new one inspired by Milady de Winter.

In fact, when you can read good material in the book, as Har'akir, Borca or Bluetspur, you can read other that are hastly done and it is why i think this book seems to be a cash grab based on the success of the Curse of Strahd. No stats for any darklord, no world building (how the inhabitants eats ? or just survive ?), no timeline, everything erased from the previous editions and so on. It honestly seems very rushed.

And to be honest, for people defending inclusivity and so on, if i was one of them, i would be furious for several reasons.
First, you can see on Blaustein the ghost wives of Bluebard took powers and are the new darlords, prooving they are not better than one of the worst real life killer, or Tsien Chen fighting against colonialism but making her country far worse in the process or, even better, Vlad Drakov (who at his beginning was almost a cross between Vlad and hitler) is now a female... It is almost as the message of the book can be readed as "you are worst than us"...

As playing secure they are writing the exact opposite of what they wanted to pass.

Just my two cents but i find hilarous to put gender and race swapping for the worst of the worst characters who can be find in any d&d setting. They are not heroes, they are the baddies, i find the message put by the swapping rather strange.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

I can dig renaming the 'new' Dementlieu domain and keeping both sets.

My google fu tells me that arriviste is French noun for an upstart / social climber. Somthing like Fauxarriviste (Fauxviste?)

Or, if the -lieu place name should remain in use (a tip of the hat for the original place whose name it tried to steal/copy). Maybe Mentirlieu? Mentir is the verb 'to fib.' It sort of has the whole 'ment' sound as well.

Dementlieu / Mentirlieu.

If Port-a-Lucine remains the city that houses this new domain, the similar naming convention might come in handy. Each could be sort of a dark mirror to the other. It might even be some sort of temporal thing? Like, Port-a-Lucine is exactly where (and exactly how) it has been for years ... but when the stars are right ... a party of PC's might find that they entered this other Port-a-Lucine, this living lie of a city. They soon find that it is quite hard to leave. They could learn that the fake/trap city is tied to Saidra and her nonsense ... so maybe the masquerade ball is worth checking out? Something like that.

Spun this way, I'm sort of getting a Jareth's dream-ball vibe from the movie, Labyrinth, now.

(this idea had been suggested elsewhere; that the city itself may have been copied whole-cloth, furthering the whole 'nothing in this town is as it seems' angle ... but there have been so many VRGtR review threads that I cannot remember which FoS member to attribute it to.)