Al-Kathos, anyone?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Al-Kathos, anyone?

Post by WolfKook »

I'm planning on running a Ravenloft adventure in an arabbic setting; however, Pharazia don't really suit my needs, and I don't want (Or have time to :( ) create a new domain for just one adventure.
I have heard something about Al-Kathos (An arabic island of terror, which suppossedly appeared only in a novel), and am interested in knowing a little more about this domain: Is there any unofficial material published about this domain? If there is not, is there anyone who can inform me about it? Better yet, is there anyone able and willing to provide a RPHB-like description of it :wink:? ( :wink: Information about its darklord would also be appreciated :wink: ).
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Here's the start of your search :)

http://www.gryphonhill.com/alkathos/index.htm

And you should read the novel about this place, in Tales of Ravenloft.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

It's an existing Domain, yes, but pretty much all of it is un-elaborated except for a single story. So you'll be doing quite a bit of statting and background creating.

That said, it has several interesting story hooks that you can use, more then Pharazia (which is odd, considering one appears in a single short-story and the other is a fully statted domain).
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

:shock: Wow! Thank you, Jöel, it's even more detailed than I wished for :D ! It even deserves upgrading to 3ed, but with the information provided, I guess I could do that myself :wink:
And indeed, it seems to be more interesting than Pharazia... I wonder why it wasn't included in the Amber Wastes instead of that domain (Which I don't really see that interesting)...
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

If I remember correctly the darklord was a dark sorceror named Abd-al Mamat, who was dismembered and his body spread throughout the wastes. Slowly but surely his empire collapsed and people lived in tribal conflicts. Eventually they started rediscovering parts of his body and bringing them back to the capital. Currently the only part they were missing was his skull.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Actually, Abd-al Mamat was the vizier to a desert chieftain who usurped control of his tribe by framing the chieftain's only son for the murder of the son's lover. After his chieftain died, Abd-al Mamat lead the tribe to found a city, where he became a harsh tyrant, who saw to it that all wrong-doers be made an example of. One day, a dashing adventurer and his beloved came through the city, and became the vizier's guests, and Mamat became enamoured of the woman. After she rejected his advances, Mamat concocted a scheme to drive them apart, by having some of his maimed citizens falsely accuse the adventurer of various crimes, and maimed him horribly as punishment. When the lover refused to abandon the adventurer, Mamat, himself, accused the maimed adventurer of being a horrible person if he was to insist that his lover marry a maimed husband, and had the adventurer put to death. The woman, in turn, committed suicide by leaping off of the peak of a nearby mountain, her body never being found.
Then Abd-al Mamat vented his anger by passing judgement on all of his subjects, systematically maiming everyone in the city. The the Djinn were greatly displeased with his nefarious crimes and viciousness that a swarm of them literally cut him into a thousand pieces, down to his screaming skull, and scattered his still-living remains across the mountains and desert...
His loyal subjects continue to collect his fragments, and the story ends with him still waiting for his skull, so he can begin his judgements anew.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Essentially, the original story was a morality-play of sorts, about how we foolish humans tend to overlook little things (like treachery and murder, in Mamat's case) on the part of authority-figures whose leadership benefits us personally, and to look back on "the good ole days" as better than the present. Hence, the next generation thinks of Abd-al Mamat's reign as paradise -- the classic "trains always ran on time in Stalin's day!" phenomenon -- and are trying to bring him back to rule again, despite the indisputable evidence of the maimed senior citizens who'd suffered under his iron fist.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

WolfKook wrote:
And indeed, it seems to be more interesting than Pharazia... I wonder why it wasn't included in the Amber Wastes instead of that domain (Which I don't really see that interesting)...
Well, someone with more knowledge of the publication dates can feel free to correct me, but I believe that Domains of Dread (which introduced the concept of the clusters) came out before Tales of Ravenloft; as such, at the time, Pharazia existed and al-Kathos did not.

Regardless of the publishing order, Pharazia was a domain that had already been mapped and claimed a darklord with full statistics, while al-Kathos had never appeared in game terms. As a result, Pharazia would probably have been a much more appealing inclusion.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Mortepierre
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Mortepierre »

HuManBing wrote:If I remember correctly the darklord was a dark sorceror named Abd-al Mamat
Nope, it was a Warmonger genie (from the Al-Qadim setting) named Malbus IIRC.
[b]Mortepierre Malepeste[/b]
[i]Dwarven Necro.. er .. Student of Anatomy[/i]
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I seem to remember something about Jackal-headed priests of the Rotting God as well. Sounds like a good alternative power center in the Domain.

Struggle between Malbus and the Jackal Priests perhaps? With the return of the Viziers as more of an impending doom kind of thing? (Nothing like a good impending doom to deaden down (as opposed to liven up) a domain).
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Mortepierre wrote:Nope, it was a Warmonger genie (from the Al-Qadim setting) named Malbus IIRC.
The darklord of Al-Kathos is mentioned only briefly in the short story, and his nature is left ambiguous. Could be some sort of djinn, could be a yak-man, could be just about anything with horns.