New 2008 Ravenloft Novels (and comics)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

^Well, that's a good suggestion, except this forum doesn't let us edit the avatar pictures! LOL! Otherwise, I'd totally agree with you. I was personally thinking of Soth in pink armor myself. :shock: JK.

Seriously though, if it bothers you that much, why don't you ask Lord Soth to change his avatar. I'm quite happy with mine, thank you very much. :D
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

New Dominion Novel Up on Amazon

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

New novel for the series up on Amazon--one that wasn't in the initial press release, and adds some wrinkles to this new version of the Land of Mists

http://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Angels- ... 281&sr=1-6
Clockwork Angels (Ravenloft: Dominion) (Paperback)
by Samantha Henderson (Author)

This title will be released on August 5, 2008.

Book Description
Angels of horror offered as a gift to life.

Dr. Sebastian Robarts is a man paralyzed by the fate of his adored wife, dead in childbirth, their only child with her. He searches for a way to build angels from women, a pastime known to Scotland Yard as murder. Robarts meets the Vistani seer named Trueblood, who becomes his assistant and leads him to the Antebellum-era domain of Riverbend, controlled by the sadistic Dr. Weldon, to create angels, unfettered by conventional morality, or even rules. When the murderer returns to earth, it is the task of a Vistani policeman and a woman with a strange connection to Robarts to stop him. If he can be stopped.

About the Author
Samantha Henderson grew up all over the world and now lives in Southern California with her husband, two daughters, two corgis and two very disapproving rabbits. She enjoys riding horses, hiking, theater, silent movies, and making jam. She might be a little bit overly obsessed with Jane Austen, if such a thing is possible.

Her stories have been published in markets such as Strange Horizons and Realms of Fantasy, and she is an active member of the Science Fiction Poetry Association.
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Now that one sounds like my kind of horror. :D
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I finally read Ari's short story in Dragon after stumbling on his other short story in an Eberron anthology (no Ravenloft relation) and I must say I'm duly impressed. Both were very good.

I'm looking forward to these new RL books...
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

LadySoth wrote:Seriously though, if it bothers you that much, why don't you ask Lord Soth to change his avatar. I'm quite happy with mine, thank you very much. :D

Yeah, that'll be the day. :P I'm the original, while you're the spin-off. If anyone should change, it should be you. Can you imagine if Supergirl were to show up and start claiming that Superman should change his costume because they look to much alike? Pfft, yeah right! Same thing. So go and change your avatar to another Soth one, or a Kitiara one, or don't change at all. Doesn't really matter to me. But I'm not planning on changing mine anytime soon. :soth: ;)
it is the task of a Vistani policeman

Crap, those damn dirty Vistani made it onto Earth? Time to institute a progrom and eradicate the filthy bastards before they gain a foothold and start bringing down property values all over.

Oh, sorry, I was channeling Malocchio Aderre for a moment, there.

Anyway, that's a bit weird. It seems like these new novels get stranger and stranger as they go, and it feels as if people can jump back and forth between Earth and Ravenloft a wee bit to easily. But we'll see. I'm still anticipating these novels (with dread?), and can't wait to get my grubby hands on all of them. :) In the interim, I need to start buying up the old novels that I haven't read, yet. So anyone know if they're available on ebook format, and where I can buy them? I love reading ebooks ever since I bought a Pocket PC a while back so that I could download the DS9 relaunch novels (Half the line was out of print and the books were nowhere to be found, which is why I had to go the ebook route), and now I want to read everything in ebook format on my Pocket PC. :D So anyone know if there's anywhere I can go to buy ebook versions of the old novels? Thanks.
Last edited by Lord Soth on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Intriguing, to say the least :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Hold up a second. What year is this new novel set in? I ask because I see a snippet about a doctor who's become a serial killer, murdering women, and pursued by Scotland Yard, and him appearing in an antebellum domain (which is likely because it's similar to his time period), and the whole thing seems pretty damn familiar to me. So is it just me, or does anyone else think that Jack the Ripper just got pulled into the mists? :soth:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Lord Soth wrote:Anyway, that's a bit weird. It seems like these new novels get stranger and stranger as they go, and it feels as if people can jump back and forth between Earth and Ravenloft a wee bit to easily.
Yeah--it seems like Gothic Earth and Ravenloft have become much more closely connected in these novels. (Cue "Red Death vs. Dark Powers--same or different?" thread.)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Lord Soth wrote:
Yeah, that'll be the day. :P I'm the original, while you're the spin-off. If anyone should change, it should be you. Can you imagine if Supergirl were to show up and start claiming that Superman should change his costume because they look to much alike? Pfft, yeah right! Same thing. So go and change your avatar to another Soth one, or a Kitiara one, or don't change at all. Doesn't really matter to me. But I'm not planning on changing mine anytime soon. :soth: ;)

I totally agree with you. I don't think either of us should change our avatars. Why mess with a classic? If you go back and read the posts, you'll actually see that I wasn't the one who brought up the idea of us changing avatars in the first place at all. I was merely responding with sarcasm to what I thought was a very silly comment by another user. Nothing personal against you, or anyone else for that matter at all was intended. :wink:

Anyway, that's a bit weird. It seems like these new novels get stranger and stranger as they go, and it feels as if people can jump back and forth between Earth and Ravenloft a wee bit to easily. But we'll see. I'm still anticipating these novels (with dread?), and can't wait to get my grubby hands on all of them. :) In the interim, I need to start buying up the old novels that I haven't read, yet. So anyone know if they're available on ebook format, and where I can buy them? I love reading ebooks ever since I bought a Pocket PC a while back so that I could download the DS9 relaunch novels (Half the line was out of print and the books were nowhere to be found, which is why I had to go the ebook route), and now I want to read everything in ebook format on my Pocket PC. :D So anyone know if there's anywhere I can go to buy ebook versions of the old novels? Thanks.

Like you, I'm also really having mixed feelings about this new line of novels. I think its great the WoTC is trying to keep the series alive and all, but I don't necessarily like the direction they are going in. I've always been a fan of the "classic" TSR-era Ravenloft and tend to look with skepticism at new interpretations of the series. However, I think I'll reserve final judgement until I actually read the new books. The novel about the crusader in particular seems to have a lot of potential.

I don't really know much about ebooks for Ravenloft, but that DS9 series sounds interesting. (I assume you're referring to the Star Trek show?) I loved that show, and I thought the writers really shafted some of the characters at the end. It would have been nice if Paramount had considered doing a movie or something, although I don't know how well it would have done at the box office, but the fans sure would have enjoyed it. I know I would have.

:wink:
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Like you, I'm also really having mixed feelings about this new line of novels.

Well, the first one I'm really looking forward to. I'm a bit iffy on the next two, although after thinking about it, this new one sounds a whole lot more interesting.
I've always been a fan of the "classic" TSR-era Ravenloft and tend to look with skepticism at new interpretations of the series. However, I think I'll reserve final judgement until I actually read the new books. The novel about the crusader in particular seems to have a lot of potential.

Agreed. And besides, using existing domains or setting a future novel solely in Ravenloft hasn't been entirely ruled out. So I can't wait to see what comes, next.
I don't really know much about ebooks for Ravenloft, but that DS9 series sounds interesting. (I assume you're referring to the Star Trek show?)

Go HERE to find out more about that novel line. It's basically DS9 Season 8, and it's awesome.
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

In case you haven't heard, Ari's novel has undergone changes in title, format, and release date since this thread started.

It's now called A Crown of Ashes and is slated for a mass-market paperback release on October 7th.

This concludes your Dread Service Announcement. :wink:
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

That's not the only one that changed. 'Clockwork Angels' was changed to 'Heaven's Bones'. Anyone have any idea what's going on with these books? Two of them get renamed (With Black Crusade/A Crown of Ashes pushed back seven months, and Clockwork Angels/Heaven's Bones getting pushed back one month), and the third, 'The Sleep of Reason', has apparently disappeared.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I see a new book listed on Amazon, "Mithra's Court" by David Page, currently claiming a fall release.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
catlord
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by catlord »

I think I'd prefer to see this as a line seperate from Ravenloft. Though the changes are a bit weird, though. I am interested in seeing how these turn out.
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Black Crusade (or Crown of Ashes) and Heaven´s Bones just disappeared from Amazon.com. the site lists only Mythra´s Court (and the book´s cover.)

But WotC website is listing Black Crusade as one of the releases for march:

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/default.aspx?