The Case of the Formless Killer - I - Impersonator
The Case of the Sightless Death From Above - L - Lycanthrope, Werebat
The Case of the Captive Conscience - O - Odem
The cure for what ails you
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I can compile my contributions to the "Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror," if you like.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

To both cure and Nathan:

At the present time, I'm going to say "No" to those proposals. While I'm pretty certain that the "Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror" series will eventually be compiled as a NetBook on the FoS site (and thus will fall into what I'm considering as canon above), at the moment I'm going to say "No."

That said, once I've got everything else finished (getting the last of the 2E novels done, getting the Dragon articles finished, and getting the Kargatane BoS series and the FoS's USS series and QtR series completed), *then* I'll be more than happy to add on to this list. Hell, by that point, the "Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror" will likely be finished as a NetBook anyway.

--------------

Anyway, what I'd like to do, for the moment: Finish the 2E novels and the Dragon articles (so I've got all of the properly canon stuff finished) and then go back and collate it into a proper list.

Also, though this may be too ambitious, I'd like to go back through the list and actually put halfway decent descriptions with the books that have descriptions at all. I'll probably create a Word Document for that and then covert that to PDF.

At that point, there'll be a list of all of the *canon* references, and I'll leave that as a document. Then I'll come back to add in all of the *pseudo-canon* references (Kargatane and FoS Netbooks) and finish that off as a document. Then I'll consider things from outside of this altogether.

-------------

Note to cure: Since the "Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror" is almost assuredly going to become a FoS NetBook, if you want all of your other Pendleton works in there, sneak the rest into the TTToT project too. :)

And if you can't / feel you shouldn't, I'll likely add the rest of those in eventually anyway, just to complete the set.

And, also, now that I know those short stories were written by you, I look forward to reading them off of your site. It should be cool as hell.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Does anyone have the Dragon Annual 1 (for the Vampires A-Z article) and the Dragon Annual 3 (for the Denizens of Dread article, just extra kits for Ravenloft 2E)?

Because outside of those, I have all of the other Dragon Articles (as per Joel) completed. See below

-------------

Are You Having Bad Thoughts (Dragon 174)
None

Book of Souls (Dragon 234)
None (the Book of Souls is not a common book,
and IMHO doesn't fit Ravenloft as presented)

Cult of Simon Audaire (Dragon 264)
- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Ancient Dead (p52)

Dwarven Relics - Sarcophagus of Ran (Dragon 245)
None

Geas - the Vistani card game (Dragon 210)
None

Half-Pint Heroes - Ravenkin (Dragon 262)
None

Harrowed Heroes (Dragon 264)
None

Nodwick - with Strahd (Dragon 264)
None

Jack-o-Lanterns (Dragon 252)
None

Land of Spectres (Dragon 258)
None

Out of the Mists (Dragon 174)
None

Saga of the Mists (Dragon 240)
None

Secret Library of Vecna (Dragon 272)
- Book of Kings - Mystic tome that divines the biography of any ruler specified (p54)
- Compendium Imortale Magica Malifica - Secrets of arcane, divine and bardic liches (p55)
- Books of the Brethren - Twenty-one volumes, spanning all common magics (p55)

Silent Sheehan (Dragon 238)
None

The Game Wizards (Dragon 162)
None

The Game Wizards (Dragon 205)
None

The Mind of the Vampire (Dragon 162)
None

Tomes of Forbidden Terror (Dragon 252)
- Azalin. Book of the Requiem - Spells and schematics for the infernal machine (p82)
- deLucier, Florin. Tome of the Shackled Mind - Grimoire full of spells for mind alteration (p85)
- Vorishtok, Renthon. The Revelations of the Prince of Twilight - To access one's 'sundered soul' (p87)

Undead Again (Dragon 234)
None

Van Richten's Herbalist Shop (Dragon 260)
- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Vistani - (p62)

Van Richten's Wicked Garden (Dragon 273)
None

Weremagic (Dragon 266)
(Neither of these are common, am reticent about using at all)
- The Tome of Thrush Palewing - Wereraven's spellbook on weremagic (p66)
- The Tome of Braeburn Ursine - Werebear's spellbook opposing weremagic (p70)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

I might, but kinda doubt, that I have the Dragons in question. I will look.

Vail & Pendleton, the complete stories as opposed to the mini tales of terror, are not my creation. I am, however, responsible for bringing them to the attention of the Fraternity of Shadows and, in consequence, for getting them a web link in one of its rooms. Still, there is a slight chance that I might somehow manage to work one or two of them into the TToT.
The cure for what ails you
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

And out at the extreme fringes of "official" publication, here are the kiddie pick-a-paths:

Master of Ravenloft (1E book based on I6; seems incompatible with canon*)

None.

[* - Mostly because it assumes Strahd dies permanently in the end and is devoid of such 2E fixtures as setting-altered spells and abilities. Plus, it's really wonky overall, with in-character references to alignment and other game mechanics, and it occasionally loses track of whether the protagonist hero's name is "Jeren" or "Deren". :P ]

Castle of the Undead (canon, if VRA's reference to the Bloodknife is taken into account)

The Legends of the Vistani**, by Ayre, royal librarian of Maridrar -- p. 66-67 (discussion with author's ghost; illustration of book's cover on p. 67); 113 & 159 (quotations)

[** - In-character, this book is either a primary reference-source for the more recent Ancient Tales of the Vistani (cited by Balfour in VRA, in his description of the Bloodknife), or else Ayre's book was rediscovered and published under a different title. The events in CotU appear to have taken place two hundred years ago, and Ayre's text was written 15 years before that, so this could well be the oldest of the various 'Vistani tales' compilations in the Ravenloft products: barring Mist-born chronological twists, it would've been written before any of the more literate domains joined Ravenloft.]

Night of the Tiger (canon status unknown ... at least, until we write up Sri Raji in an FoS Gaz! :wink: )

Arijani's diary -- p. 83-84 (description of contents)

Pretty slim pickings, but considering the age-brackets that the old pick-a-paths were aimed at and the shallowness of their usual storylines, I was surprised to find even this much. :roll:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: Castle of the Undead (canon, if VRA's reference to the Bloodknife is taken into account)

The Legends of the Vistani**, by Ayre, royal librarian of Maridrar -- p. 66-67 (discussion with author's ghost; illustration of book's cover on p. 67); 113 & 159 (quotations)

[** - In-character, this book is either a primary reference-source for the more recent Ancient Tales of the Vistani (cited by Balfour in VRA, in his description of the Bloodknife), or else Ayre's book was rediscovered and published under a different title.
Or it's the same book in a different translation?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Well, I kind of doubt if Ayre would've called his book Ancient Tales of the Vistani in any translation, because he wrote it as a first-hand account of events in his own lifetime. :wink:

Personally, I sort of like the idea that authors in Ravenloft compete with one another to cover the same subjects, while citing and/or plagiarizing previous authors' works. We know there are knock-offs of Van Richten's works out there, so maybe some of the Vistani-tale compilations by more recent authors are knock-offs of Ayre's book?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Okay, I had some time to kill while getting over a bug, and I wasn't up to writing new stuff. Searching for references wasn't as hard, so here's the Dungeon adventure citations!

Note that, with the exception of the first, all of these were written by fans, not the official designers of Ravenloft at the time. That means it's hard to say how "canon" their references really qualify as, so I've noted whether or not they're mentioned or drawn upon as source-material in the recent products. Note, too, that I only list books that are cited in-character, not the recommended-reading books (even if they're VRGs) for DMs looking to run the adventure in question.

Bane of the Shadowborn, Dungeon #31 (canon adventure by TSR-Kargat Bill Connors)

Lady Shadowborn, Pure of Heart, Defender of the Faith, p. 63 – portrait in gallery of Shadowborn Manor

Horror’s Harvest, Dungeon #38 (obliquely mentioned in Gaz II’s description of the Falkovnian branch of the Church of Hala)

The Lady and the Vamp, 101 Damnations, & Creeping Beauty, p. 61 – three charming children’s tales *

Sergei von Daragor’s Tales of Terror, p. 64 – cursed memoir of von Daragor, pirate captain of the Harpy’s Fury

False Face, Bat’s Entertainment, Santa Claws* & Crow’s Feast, p. 64-65 (descriptions & illustrations) – morbid paintings by Yuri Karloff

Horror’s Harvest, p. 66 – morbid work-in-progress by Yuri Karloff, clue to location of doppelganger plant

[* - Obviously, the Disney and Santa references are gags ... and used gags, no less, for the storybooks. :roll: ]

The Price of Revenge, Dungeon #42 (major source for Gaz IV’s description of Ungrad, Valachan)

None.

Felkovic’s Cat, Dungeon #50 (major source for Gaz IV’s description of Valachan)

Urik von Kharkov’s diary, p. 64 – Personal background and dealings with the wizard Felkovic and the magic item he created for revenge

Laughing Man, Dungeon #52 (vague link to RLDMG history of Fang of the Nosferatu; direct link to Van Richten’s Guide to Ghosts)

None.

The Sea Wolf, Dungeon #55 (not mentioned in canon)

None.

The Baron’s Eyrie, Dungeon #58 (not mentioned in canon)

None … though this dude, like Louise Renier, seems to have a thing for gothic romances! :shock:

Jigsaw, Dungeon #61 (MotRD adventure, conversion-compatible**)

Frankenstein Papers, p. 9, 15 & 27 – MotRD equivalent of a cursed golem-crafting manual; game-stats detailed in the original A Guide to Gothic Earth

Don Juan, p. 10 – opera by Richard Strauss

Various love poems with a menacing undertone, p. 15 – written by Udo “von Lendstein”, flesh golem, to his creator Victoria

Either/Or and Stages on Life’s Way, p. 15 – writings of Søren Kierkegaard

The Birth of Tragedy, p. 15 – book by Friederich Nietzsche

[** - Of the two MotRD adventures published in Dungeon, this was the only one that’s at all compatible with Ravenloft. The other was set on a passenger train (!), so it can’t be converted without drastic intervention and/or use of the “Shining Bay” variant-setting.

[Not sure how useful this particular list will be, even if you're converting the scenario to RL ... but what the heck: it was fun naming a few real-life books for a change! :wink: ]

Last Dance, Dungeon #64 (not mentioned in canon)

Madame Tuvache’s annotated clockmaking manual, p. 50-51, 62 – technical notes on the construction of Jerretierre and Madame’s house-spanning series of deathtraps

The House on the Edge of Midnight, Dungeon #76 (continuity-lapse in dates***, not mentioned in canon)

The Revelations of the Prince of Twilight, p. 10 & 15 – magical text on rituals to divide and recombine living souls, including spells; described in Dragon #252

Journal of Lord Blake Ramsey, p. 18 – account of nascent minor darklord’s experiments

The Alchemist’s Codex, p. 20 – instructions for non-magical work required to construct homunculi, not useable without additional (magical) instruction-manual

[*** - Dates in his journal place Ramsey’s departure from Mordentshire (~100 years ago) in 393, which would be impossible if he’s using the Barovian Calendar. It’s likely that Ramsey uses a dating-format native to Material Plane Mordent, having set sail for the Isle before Barovia’s calendar had wholly supplanted the old Mordentish one in his native land.]
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Oh, and Roti? I'll do Spectre of the Black Rose after all, as a friend just lent it to me and I'm having a difficult time putting it down. :)

-----------

Knight of the Black Rose
- Kulchek the Wanderer - Vistani tale of the hero Kulchek (p179)
- "Snakes and Ladders" - Medraut's game pitting shrunken humans vs snakes in a burning dollhouse (p266)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Spectre of the Black Rose
- Stones and Bones - Sithican variant of backgammon? (p138)
- "Chateau Malaturno" - Good quality Invidian wine (p139, p186)
- Kulchek the Wanderer - Vistani tale of the hero Kulchek (p219)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sorry about always floating this thread...

----------

I, Strahd
None

I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin
None
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Here's the updated list, containing all 2E and 3E listings, whether from modules, boxed sets, novels, or Dungeon and Dragon magazine articles.

Note that I'll have to edit the living daylights out of this post just to make it readable... So don't be surprised to see this change. It's just me putting in black-colored periods to duplicate the indenting that I can't do with this forum software...

Note also that, since this list is so unwieldy, it'll need to eventually be broken into many more sets of books (scientific books, magical books, fictional stories, perhaps even biographies though only Protector of Darkon comes to mind as one...)

Link back to this list
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 0506#60506

-------------

--- Agrippa, Professor. Scrying and the Nature of Visions - (VRA p46)
--- Allandar. Allandar's Travelogue - "Gazetteer for supernatural events" (Gaz4 p88)
--- Ansgar. Den Bjaergekesjer - Nova Vaasan epic poem (Gaz5 p28)
--- Ansgar. Fare imod de Aften - Nova Vaasan epic poem (Gaz5 p28)
--- Ansgar. Haldor og Gudrun - Nova Vaasan epic poem, greatest of Vaasi literature
.... (Gaz5 p28)
--- Arkwright, Creighton. Notes on Animations - Book on creations of automata
.... (CotNTCp26)
--- Ayre. Ancient Tales of the Vistani* - Modern translation of below book (VRA p54)
--- Ayre. The Legends of the Vistani - Tales of the Vistani Kingdom
.... (CotU p66, 113, 159)
--- Azalin. Book of the Requiem - Spells and schematics for the infernal machine
.... (Dragon252 p82)
--- Barclay. Sight Unseen: The Theory of Ethereal Resonance - (VRA p45)
--- Bilerius. The Gnomics of Bilerius - Bestiary of supernatural beings (VRGttL p18)
--- Bluemenstin, Dr. Jacov. Philosophical Discourses Among Supernatural Beings: Higher
.... Truths or Tribalism?
- Considerations on ethical alignments (VRGtF p39)
--- Bunniswot. The Wisdom of Lord Toede - Humorous criticism on government,
.... set in fictional "Krynn" (NMNB p29)
--- Evensong, Baron Lyron. Diary of Baron Lyron Evensong - Autobiography (BoC p27)
--- Evensong, Baron Lyron. Poems of Baron Evensong - Bad poetry collection
.... (BoC p27; BoSouls p9)
--- Farringer, Dr. Ottelie. The Illustrated Manual of Linguistics and Scriptal Aberrations
.... Indicative of Psychopathology
- (VRGtF p6)
--- Finley, Nigel. The Mind of the Vampire - Treatise on vampire psychology (VRGtV p78)
--- Galbraith, Madeline. Dust of Empires - History book on dead cultures (Gaz1 p45)
--- Gleam, Hans and Jakob. Tome of Terror - Illustrated fairy tales ranging the Core
.... (FoD p28; DT&DL p122)
--- Goucus, Erryl. The Third Horseman - Darkonian book on military history (Gaz2 p20)
--- Grimfoot, Glental. Silent Speech: Mental Communications Among Supernatural Beings
.... - Telepathy, et al (VRGtF p41)
--- Harriet, M. Claude. The Scrawls - Story, may also be name of book (VRGttWD p48)
--- Haas, Ansolm. The Isolation of Evil - Psychology text on the nature of evil
.... (VRGttC p63)
--- Henry, Felicia. The Sorcerer and the Succubus - Adventurous romance novel (M p8 )
--- Iron Crown, The. Raiment of Clarity - Cursed necromantic text (VRGttWD p86;
.... VRGttSF p7)
--- Joonker, Ephraim and Greenleaf, Legothlin. Heightened Reality: The Sensory Powers
.... of Sentient Non-Humans
- (VRGtF p28)
--- Jorani, Lord. Guide to Kislovan Plants - Also re: poisons & drugs (BoB p100)
--- Jovanovitch, Moritavius. Journal of Moritavius Jovanovitch - Arcane text (VRGttL p23)
--- Kelman, Daffyd. Comparative Toxicology: Pestilence, Poisons and Plague Between
.... the Species
- (VRGtF p30)
--- Kilday, Dr. Jethra. Desire - The Unconscious Guide - (VRGtF p60)
--- Kohl, Dr. Wilhelm. Foundations of Morality - Child psychology and moral
.... development (VRGttC p63)
--- Kreutzer, Friedrich. Quatrains of Loss - Book of somber poetry (M p12)
--- de Lucier, Florin. Tome of the Shackled Mind - Grimoire full of spells for mind
.... alteration (Dragon252 p85)
--- Madrigore, Atchen, et al. The Madrigorian, 16 vol. - Writings on morality of evil
.... (VRGtF p5,9,et al; CoD p37; Gaz3 p21)
--- Milhavet, Inard. Struggle and Victory in the Animal Kingdom - Naturalist text
.... (Gaz3 p86)
--- Moratty. Hymn to Madness - Folktale of Alchon the Mad (FoD p6)
--- Mordenheim, Victor. Enigma Vitae - On dead flesh, the lifeforce remaining, and
.... reviving it (CotN:TC p84)
--- de Penible, Francois. The Forgotten Sensations - Dementlieuse book (Gaz3 p23)
--- Palewing, Thrush. The Tome of Thrush Palewing - Wereraven's spellbook on
.... weremagic (Dragon266 p66)
--- Raluca, Petre. The Exile and the Return - Barovian history re: Terg invasion
.... (Gaz1 p17, Gaz4 p15)
--- Rivtoff, Sir Armand "Ironhand". The Beast of Ehrendton - Novel on demonic cult
.... (VRGtF p28,36; Gaz5 p42)
--- Sedgwick, Arthur. The Life of Alanik Ray - Book of short stories
.... (VRGtG p31; CotM p83; RCS/RPHB p63/76; Gaz3 p128)
--- Sedgwick, Arthur. The Casebook of Alanik Ray - Book of short stories
.... (CotM p83; VRMHC3 p202; Gaz3 p128; VRGttWD p50)
--- Taynesbert. The Open Palm - Epic saga about Astonby of the Oaks (VRGttC p28,34)
--- Tellurian, Dr. A.R.H. Premises of Magickal Study - (VRGtF p67)
--- Terelleian, Archmage Jacktin.** Transpossession: A Guide to Phenomena
.... - (VRA p46)
--- Terelleian, Archmage Jacktin. Wizards, Magic and Magical Items: A Primer for the
.... Serious Scholar
- (VRGtF p34)
--- Trimia. Trimia's Catalogue of Outer Plane Artifacts - Describes items linked to
.... other planes (CotNV p84)
--- Ursine, Braeburn. The Tome of Braeburn Ursine - Werebear's spellbook opposing
.... weremagic (Dragon266 p70)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Ancient Dead - (Dragon264 p52; LotB p20)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Created - Guide to hunting constructs
.... (CotNTC p55; VRA p61)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to Fiends - (BH p31; DoD p41; Carnival p47)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to Ghosts - (DoD p41; VRMHC3 p227)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Lich - (CT p21; BH p31; VRA p6)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Mists
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Shadow Fey
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to Vampires - Printed 735BC
.... (RoT2 p12; BH p31; DoD p41; RCS/RPHB p18/20)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Vistani - Printed 742BC
.... (VRMHC3 p250; TSWE p72 etal; RCS/RPHB p18/20; GazI p20; VRA p6)
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to the Walking Dead
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Guide to Werebeasts
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium Volume 1
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium Volume 2
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium Volume 3
.... - With Guide to Witches
--- van Richten, Rudolf. Van Richten's Arsenal, Volume I
--- Venn, Marth. Speculations - Odd bits of thoughts and philosophy (VRGtW p4)
--- von Manheim, Dr. Viktor. Manifestations of Mental Dementia, Their Causes
.... and Treatment
(VRGttM p77)
--- von Sarr, Cletus. The Hammer of Light - Guide to fighting undead (VRGttWD p79)
--- von Zarovich, Strahd. Nova Arcanum - Reputedly Strahd's book of new spells
.... (FL p20NA)
--- von Zarovich, Strahd. Tome of Strahd - Propaganda autobiography (I6 p31;
.... RoT p8; FtS p37; HoS p62; RoT2 p12; DoD p15; VotM p244;
.... RCS/RPHB p4/5,12/14,p77/90; SotDR p10; LotB p128)
--- Vorishtok, Renthon. The Revelations of the Prince of Twilight - To access one's
.... 'sundered soul' (Dragon252 p87, Dungeon76 p15)
--- Wyan of Viktal. Malleus Umbricum - "Hammer of Shades", text on fey creatures
.... (VRGttSF p6)
--- Zartin the Red. Autobiography of a Wandering Mage - (VRGtF p48, p68, et al)
--- Zeitsgraeng. The Silberkudexa - Historical book on Falkovnia's Silver Falcon
.... Kingdom (Gaz2 p92)
--- 101 Damnations - Children's tale (Dungeon38 p61)
--- A Good Woman's Primer - Guide to formal ladies' etiquette (TSWE p72,99)
--- Advances in Anatomy - Biology text (BoC p26)
--- Art of Architecture - Making artistic bridges, buildings, etc (BoC p26)
--- Assonance and Alliteration in Poetry - Guide to better writing (BoC p26)
--- Bestiary of Artak - Includes info on hungry dead (VRGttWD p40)
--- Books of the Brethren - Twenty-one volumes, spanning all common magics
.... (Dragon272 p55)
--- Book of Inverted Darkness - Necromantic text on rebirth and breaking bindings
.... (VR p27,50)
--- Book of Kings - Mystic tome that divines the biography of any ruler specified
.... (Dragon272 p54)
--- Catalogue of the Undead - Detailed, voluminous illustrated beastiary of undeath
.... (BoC 79)
--- Catalogue of the World Entire*** - The Core as of 711BC (Gaz4 p69)
--- Clan ApBlanc, The - Listing of notable ApBlanc members as of 1920FC/533BC
.... (CF p27ES)
--- Coats of Arms of the Von Zarovich Line - (VotM p96)
--- Compendium Imortale Magica Malifica - Secrets of arcane, divine and bardic liches
.... (Dragon272 p55)
--- Corpus Libram - Book on animal dissections and theories on human dissection
.... (BoC p79)
--- Creeping Beauty - Children's tale (Dungeon38 p61)
--- Dawn of the Undead - Of vampire attacks and geists rising (CF p15ES)
--- Decline of Feudal Holdings - History of government change in Liffe (BoC p27)
--- Diverse Meditations Upon the Higher Magicks - Arcane text (VRGttL p23)
--- Embalming: The Lost Art - Guide to embalming (I6 p21; HoS p41)
--- Form and Line in Music - Musical text (BoC p26)
--- Gainful Decay - Book on rotting substances, their study and arcane use (BoC p79)
--- Grave's Anatomy - Illustrated biology text, best in the Core (AW p24)
--- Great Composers - History of music in Liffe (BoC p26)
--- History of Death in Thay - History of disasters and wars in imaginary land of Thay
.... (BoC p79)
--- Imbuing Instruments with Magic - (BoC p27)
--- Journey of Phillipe the Shining - (VRGttM p19)
--- Kulchek the Wanderer - Vistani tale of the hero Kulchek (KotBR p179, SotBR p219)
--- Legends from the Circle - (VotM p96)
--- Life Among the Undead: Learning to Cope - Self-help guide for undead (I6 p21)
--- Life Among the Undead: Rules of the Game - Self-help guide for undead (HoS p41)
--- Life or Death? A History of the Crown of Souls - About the Crown of Souls
.... (FoG p108?)
--- Litany of the Ellefolk - (VRGttM p25)
--- Machinations of Mortality - Illustrated work on torture machines (BoC p79)
--- Manual of Ivory Figurines - Sri Rajian text on figurines of power (CoD p37)
--- Marcusen Manuscript - Court record, describing Seelie and Unseelie courts
.... (VRGttSF p71)
--- Masonry and Woodworking - Tips and tricks (I6 p21; HoS p41)
--- Modes in Music - Musical text (BoC p26)
--- Musical Instrument Construction - Of complex instruments like harpsichords
.... (BoC p26)
--- My Travels Down the Teesar and Harp Rivers - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess
.... in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- Nucleic Acid and Cellular Structure - Theories on the composition of tissues
.... (AW p24)
--- Observations on the Effects of Lightning Upon Living Tissue - As per title (AW p24)
--- Pavel, Heir of the Sun - Myth of the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind (VotM p141, p281)
--- People of the Blemu Hills - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- Philosophy of Death - Dealing with death and loss (BoC p27)
--- Physical Properties of Sound Production - Musical text (BoC p26)
--- Poetry of the Masters - Compilation of poetry from Liffe (BoC p26)
--- Portfolio of Birds - Paintings of birds by Liffean artists (BoC p26)
--- Principles of Perspective - Improving your painting skills (BoC p26)
--- Protector of Darkon - Biography of Lord Azalin Rex (BH p53)
--- Purification of Corrupt Flesh, The - Text on curing/preventing undeath (CF p27ES)
--- Redemption through Retribution - On the virtue of vengeance (CotNTC p74)
--- Romance from Beyond the Grave - Trash novel series, containing
.... --- A Love Beyond Death (VRGttWD p80)
.... --- The Dead Travel Fast (Gaz3 p19, SoD p249)
--- Rulers of the House of Rax - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- Scientific Journal of K. Albemarl - Engineering text used by Azalin on Doomsday
.... Device (LotN p191)
--- Secrets of Swordplay - Instruction manual for fencers (TSWE p71)
--- Sergei von Daragor's Tales of Terror - Tales about cursed pirate von Daragor
.... (Dungeon38 p64)
--- Sketching Nudes - Guide to better figure drawings (BoC p26)
--- Skin and Steel: A History of the Ba'al Verzi - (VotM p96)
--- Sonnets - Famous sonnets composed by Liffean playwrights (BoC p26)
--- Sources de Puissance - Arcane text (Gaz3 p21)
--- Statutes of l'Morai - Book of law codes for city of l'Morai (CoF p179)
--- Study in Darkness - (BoC p27)
--- Tainted Writings of Blackcomb, The - Arcane text (Gaz3 p21)
--- Tales of the Night - (VotM p96)
--- The Age of Sorrow - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- The Alchemist's Codex - Includes alchemical rules for creating homonculi
.... (Dungeon76 p20)
--- The Art of Kalimar Kandru - (VotM p96)
--- Barovia: Year 15 to the Present - (VotM p96)
--- The Battle of a Fortnight's Length - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth
.... (FtS p37)
--- The Battle of Shamblefield - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- The Cry of a Werewolf - Fiction novel on lycanthropy (VRGtW BackCover)
--- The Cult of the Swamp God - Odd text of a forgotten deity (NotWD p19)
--- The Haedritic Manuscripts - Occult text by the Dweller in the Jacinth Chamber
.... (VRGttL p10)
--- The Inner Soul - Alchemical text on altering one's spirit (I10 p29)
--- The Lady and the Vamp - Children's tale (Dungeon38 p61)
--- The Magic Man - A child's play poem about monsters (VRGttL p48)
--- The Nature of Blood: An Apprentice's Handbook - Pre-transfusions text on blood
.... (HoS p41)
--- The Nature of the Soul: Portion or Totality of the Man? - Precursor to later
.... psychological texts (I10 p34)
--- The NecroCompanion - Grave-humor almanac of divinations via moon and
.... star charts (BoC p79)
--- The Polarization of Bi-Directional Current - New discoveries in electrical research
.... (AW p24)
--- The Rain of Colorless Fire - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- The Waning of Aerdy - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- Treatise on Free Government - (BoC p26)
--- Unique Creatures of the Adri Forest - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in
.... Oerth (FtS p37)
--- Vertebrate Biology - Biology text (BoC p26)
--- Waning of Leybria and Others, The - Fall of the Silver Falcon Kingdom (Gaz2 p92)
--- Wee Folk of the Flinty Hills - Tales of the fictional land Flanaess in Oerth (FtS p37)
--- Windson, The Cold Hand - Elvish epic poem of a thief and his hand of power
.... (FoD p12,13)
--- Wort's Enchanted Book - Ancient volume of Darkonian fairy tales (ToD p7)

List of holy texts:
--- Nathan the Atheist. The Case of Atheists in the Misty Land - (VRGttM p16)
--- Book of Ezra, First - Revelation of Ezra to Yakov Dilisnya, 666BC
.... (RCS/RPHB p17/19; Gaz4 p16)
--- Book of Ezra, Second - Revelation of Ezra to Felix Wachter, 699BC
.... (RCS/RPHB p17/19; HoL p52)
--- Book of Ezra, Third - Revelation of Ezra to Joan Secousse, 709BC
.... (RCS/RPHB p17/19; Gaz3 p21; VRA p49)
--- Book of Ezra, Fourth - Revelation of Ezra to Teodorus Raines, 751BC
.... (RCS/RPHB p18/20; Gaz2 p30)
--- Book of Radiance - Holy scriptures of Belenus (S p11)
--- Doctrinae - Holy text of the Faith of the Overseer (Gaz2 p32)
--- Librum of Belenus - Holy scriptures of Belenus (S p26, 72)
--- Tales of the Ages - Holy text and history of the Halan faith
.... (VRMHC3 p239,257; RCS/RPHB p52/66; Gaz4 p104)
--- The Book of the Dead - Akiri text. Based on realworld Book of the Dead?
.... (CotNW p64)
--- The Tome of Law - Found among ruins of the Temple of the God of Dark Vengeance
.... (CotNV p27)
--- The Truth of Iron - First holy text of the Church of the Lawgiver (Gaz5 p125,126)
--- The Fetters of Bronze - Second holy text of the Church of the Lawgiver
.... (Gaz5 p125,126)
--- The Black Trials - Third holy text of the Church of the Lawgiver (Gaz5 p125,126)
--- Crimson Faith - Fourth holy text of the Church of the Lawgiver (Gaz5 p126)
--- The Book of Stone - Fifth holy text of the Church of the Lawgiver (Gaz5 p126)
--- Vessels of Mercy, The - Holy text of the Echansons/Cupbearers heresy (Gaz3 p93)
--- Words of Wisdom - Collection of sacred poetry (VotM p96)

List of plays, ballads, songs:
--- Berdarik. The Soulless Crown - Kartakan epic tragedy (Gaz1 p95)
--- Don Pablo. The Dying - Tragic opera about jealous lovers (CotNV p49)
--- Dumont, Cap. Raoul. The Pirate's Pleasure - Showboat music re: Lady of the Sea
.... (DotD p56, 184)
.... --- "Alas! My Love Is No More" - ballad from above (p49 et al)
.... --- "So Floweth Love" - instrumental dance piece from above (p87)
--- Vercezzo, Cezar. The Blind Gypsy - Borcan play (Gaz4 WE)
--- Vercezzo, Cezar. Lotharia - Borcan play (Gaz4 WE)
--- Vercezzo, Cezar. The Silent Child - Borcan play (Gaz4 WE)
--- Blood of Mazonn - Epic ballad about Neureni invasion of Barovia (Gaz1 p16)
--- Courage - Dementlieuse play about workhouses (Gaz3 p24)
--- Flight from the Balinoks - Barovian epic ballad (Gaz1 p27)
--- La Mort de Mon Coeur ("The Death of My Heart") - Dementlieuse opera (Gaz3 p24)
--- Pavel, Heir to the Sun - Ancient Barovian saga (VRGttWD p44)
--- The Ear-Tied Hare - Morality play from l'Morai (CoF p22, 182)
--- The Horse and the Spear - Morality play from l'Morai (CoF p22, 293)
--- "Ballad of Omartrag" - Kartakan folk song (DoaD p310)
--- "Dark Midwife" - Kartakan Mora about death (HoM p14, 48 )
--- "Lament of the Dead" - Tragic song about Rivalin and Flora, Tristen ApBlanc's
.... parents (CF p27WL/p7MM)
--- "Laughter and Blood" - Nursery rhyme from l'Morai (CoF p13)
--- "Legend of the Vistani Violin" - Grim folksong about invention of first violin
.... (TSWE p203)
--- "My Bones Will Rest for Me" - Borcan folksong (Gaz4 p20)
--- "Pastronata" - Song about the Zsolty clan of Vistani (M p145)
--- "Regina d'Ghiaccio" (The Ice Queen) - Tragic song about Jezra Wagner
.... (RLMC2 p47)
--- "Sir Arduin and the Wyrm" - Puppet show based on "St. George and
.... the Dragon" (TC p24)
--- "Song of Milil" - Religious song to the Ancestral Choir**** (HoM p189)
--- "Sundered Heart" - Tragic Kartakan love song (HoM p52)
--- "Termagant's Ballad" - Song popular in Karina, Invidia (TEE, first page of Chap2)
--- "The Ballad of Nunieve" - Tragic Kartakan folk song (HoM p76)
--- "The Captain and the Vistana" - Good sailor's precautionary tale (TEE p?,
.... Timothy tells in Chap2)

Additional stuff:
--- Newsbill - Daily Paridon newspaper (HotK p32, RCS/RPHB p165/184)
--- Death's Head Dice - Sithican variant of craps (ToR p179)
--- Hawks and Hares - Board game invented by Count von Zarovich, popular in
.... Barovia (VotM p227)
--- Stones and Bones - Sithican variant of backgammon (SotBR p138)
--- Fleming, Sir Archer - Mordentish poet (Gaz5 p10)
--- Smitskopf, Martyn - Author of fiction novels about diabolism (Gaz2 p83)

* Ancient Tales of the Vistani - VRA lists the author as being unknown. However, in the source novel "Castle of the Undead" (a Ravenloft "Choose Your Own Adventure" book from which the prophecy quoted in VRA comes from, along with the idea of the Bloodknife and the vampire Velkaarn) , the ghostly librarian Ayre claims to have penned a book called Legends of the Vistani, as reported by The Giamarga in the thread The Bloodknife. The book names seem too similar, so it seems fair to assume the two books are one-and-the-same and thus attribute the book to Ayre.

** VRA has this book attributed to an Archmage Jacktin _Tellurian_, accidentally combining two author's names from VRGtFiends. Chris Nichols confirmed the attribution for Archmage Jacktin Terelleian.

*** Catalogue of the World Entire - As per GazIV, this was "commissioned by Camille Boritsi shortly before her death." As she died in 711 BC, several familiar Core domains had not yet been revealed by the Mists by this point. These are: Hazlan (714 BC), Dorvinia (715 BC), Sithicus (720 BC) and Verbrek (730 BC). It would also include several non-familiar Core domains, like Bluetspur, the Nightmare Lands, G'Henna and Markovia, all of which left in the Great Upheaval. See Jester's pre-Great Upheaval map

**** Heart of Midnight has the "Song of Milil" for the Forgotten Realms deity of the same name. With 3E Ravenloft's split from all other D&D settings, I'm listing this as being for the Ancestral Choir instead.
Last edited by Lord Cyclohexane on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Yippeee!!! Great work, Lord Cyc! :D

This ought to be added to the Mausoleum's permanent collection of lists, ASAP. What do you think?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Cool thing indeed! Congrat for this lenghty task

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)