RAVENLOFT IS BACK.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm a Nintendo kid and my IQ was 59 points higher when I was 12 than it currently is now. And I'm currently 28.

It's the beginning of the end.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I'm also a "Nintendo kid" (actually, "Sega kid" would be more accurate) and I find games like D&D more enjoyable because I grew up playing games where things are preprogrammed and set in stone...er, circuits. P&P RPGs are limited only by your imagination. And I don't find it hard to learn the rules. People who won't learn the rules aren't necessarily stupid, they're lazy.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:People who won't learn the rules aren't necessarily stupid, they're lazy.
*cough*

Just as a friendly FYI, that's not any less insulting than just calling them stupid. :)
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Yeah, I remember actually having to study 3rd edition rules before games to make sure I knew enough to play! When I started DMing I still was learning the rules- but it's the best way to iron them into your skull. Pressure to do a good job makes you learn quickly. Now I could probably tell you any rule I was asked about... and many of the spells sadly enough : )
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It's also the type of person.
Many console RPGs have alot of micro-management and fine details. The depth of some games can be pretty crazy.

But 3e is fairly complex if you try to make a lvl 5 character without some guides.
And unlike C-RPGs, you can't slowly introduce elements as you go; you need to make a full character from scratch.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Love Donkey Kong, Galaga, and Joust so much that I've got them downloaded on my laptop and use emulators to play them. Filthy barrel throwing ape. I never get tired of seeing him get his.
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Isabella wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:People who won't learn the rules aren't necessarily stupid, they're lazy.
*cough*

Just as a friendly FYI, that's not any less insulting than just calling them stupid. :)
I know. I wasn't trying to be less insulting. Rather I was being honest in my opinion. :D
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Gnarfflinger
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gnarfflinger »

From looking at the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, I suspect that they expect people to cannibalize the setting to create what they want to play with. so the Domains they release in Dragon Magazine could be cobbled together into something akin to the Core realms we're used to.

I'm willing to give them a chance to bring Ravenloft into 4th edition, but Like most of you, I'll be holding them to a higher standard...
Brussel Sprouts aren't food, they're ammunition!
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Domains of Dread: Sunderheart, the Funeral City
By Matthew Sernett
Ruled by a twisted darklord split in half by her terrible betrayal, finding this realm in the Shadowfell isn't that difficult, but escaping is almost impossible.

Hmm. Looks like the "Domains of Dread" may be new, and aren't actually Ravenloft.
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
Lanus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lanus »

Pamela wrote:

These "Nintendo kids" (who, if not members of this board, probably are members of the families of posters here) aren't less bright than the kids I grew up with. If you really thought that, why in the world would you invite them into your game?
You're reading too much! xD. I never said being a nintendo kid is bad or that they are less smart. I just said it was a different mentality: They're not used to having to memorize lots of rules and reading. In its way its beneficial: They exchange "memory" for "processing capacity" (or something like that, read it in a magazine somewhere)

Also, i never mentioned that i like 3.x or GURPS or anything. Actually, i was a very vocal suporter of 4E because I never liked 3.x in the first place (with the exception of Ravenloft wich was the game that kept me playing DnD, then Eberron). I haven't played yet but it looks promising and YES, it is different from other iterations of the game, and YES, we have to do some serious surgery for it to work OK for Ravenloft (i found a nice solution for healing surges in the wotc forums: they become the real damage; you only regain one healing surge after a day of rest). My favorite games is actually Unknown Armies =). I love a game manual that you can enjoy as a form of literature.

And last. I'm not old. I'm 23. I just happen to live in a country "on its way to development" and only the wealthy kids got to play nintendo when i was a youngling.

That beign said: I'm fine with 4E core because, for me at least, its no worse than 3E core and its easier for new people to learn and thats a good thing. But I have serious concerns about it working well with Ravenloft and i doubt the ability of WotC to make the top quality fluff Ravenloft needs (MtG has better flavor text than many 3E/4E books T_T)
Lanus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lanus »

Lord Soth wrote:
Hmm. Looks like the "Domains of Dread" may be new, and aren't actually Ravenloft.
Ok, so maybe they're testing the waters. *Fingers crossed*
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Lanus wrote:
Pamela wrote:

These "Nintendo kids" (who, if not members of this board, probably are members of the families of posters here) aren't less bright than the kids I grew up with. If you really thought that, why in the world would you invite them into your game?
You're reading too much! xD. I never said being a nintendo kid is bad or that they are less smart. I just said it was a different mentality: They're not used to having to memorize lots of rules and reading. In its way its beneficial: They exchange "memory" for "processing capacity" (or something like that, read it in a magazine somewhere)

Also, i never mentioned that i like 3.x or GURPS or anything. Actually, i was a very vocal suporter of 4E because I never liked 3.x in the first place (with the exception of Ravenloft wich was the game that kept me playing DnD, then Eberron). I haven't played yet but it looks promising and YES, it is different from other iterations of the game, and YES, we have to do some serious surgery for it to work OK for Ravenloft (i found a nice solution for healing surges in the wotc forums: they become the real damage; you only regain one healing surge after a day of rest). My favorite games is actually Unknown Armies =). I love a game manual that you can enjoy as a form of literature.

And last. I'm not old. I'm 23. I just happen to live in a country "on its way to development" and only the wealthy kids got to play nintendo when i was a youngling.

That beign said: I'm fine with 4E core because, for me at least, its no worse than 3E core and its easier for new people to learn and thats a good thing. But I have serious concerns about it working well with Ravenloft and i doubt the ability of WotC to make the top quality fluff Ravenloft needs (MtG has better flavor text than many 3E/4E books T_T)
I still think the way you worded your comparisons with the Nintendo kids was not very complimentary in your other post.

The second part referring to GURPS and 3e wasn't directed at you at all, so my apologies for not making it clearer in my post. THere's been a lot of griping against 4e so I was merely making references to several posters before you (and not including you, honest!).

Thank you, however for your positive reaction towards 4e; believe me it is much appreciated by the few of us around here who do like it. :D
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Yes, as one of the foremost critics of 4e, and a supporter of 3e (grudging) and GURPS (enthusiastic), I can attest that Pamela's point was not intended to target the debate that Lanus brought.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Okay, so let's move on past the Nintendo comments and move back to Ravenloft. Keep it civil, kids.
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I've noticed a general pattern lately where people seem to jump on others for every comment they make. If someone's posting on these boards, then you can probably assume they're not meaning to be inflammatory- everyone here is of a higher calibre than most posters.

Don't look for an insult that's not there as some people simply express themselves in a very abrupt or direct manner.