Javenloft

Online roleplaying at the Café
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Javenloft

Post by Nemesio »

CLAIMED BY DARKON
CHAPTER FIVE: A DISH BEST SERVED COLDLY (PART ONE: THE ELENDIGHEDMARK) Continued...

Nova Vaasa, Mid-Spring of 730 BC

The Equaar Camp, 10:15 PM

To All

As members of the tribe arrive to check on Dame Antonina, the pavilion becomes too cramped to accommodate you… Stepping outside you see Obregg kneeling on the ground. As he leans drooling over a pool of his own vomit, he mumbles something to himself…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before exiting the tent, Millicent tries to snatch the cloth swaddled pebble, but Felix beats her to it… Despite having the courage to try and pick up such a controversial and “dangerous” object, she still appears uncomfortable around Laura, and never takes her eyes off of the supposed “damsel” from Martira Bay…

Anselm is alarmed by the uncharacteristic behavior of his wife. After scanning the camp for a place to speak with her in private, he pulls Millicent aside.…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several minutes later, the gathered Vistani leave the vicinity. As they pass you by, they avert their gazes. Even Boris will not look at you… The only exception is the eldest male, who remains standing near the entrance of the tent, beckoning you within, and saying: “My name is Mikhailov. I am Antonina’s husband and the captain of this tribe. She is much better now. Are you ready to finish your meeting?..”
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

A few minutes of shrugging off stress and Null was back in working order...or at least, in a proper mental state. A headache was beginning to form, and through the dullness of it all, he still felt detached from the world. For the moment, he could deal with it, but eventually, the fog would have to clear. Bringing himself back to a relaxed position whilst standing upright, Null bent over a foot wide puddle, and readjusted the cloth over his mouth to reassure himself so that he wouldn't terrify the locals. You made the error. You brought this upon yourself. Fix it, he thought to himself. Nothing ever worked itself out unless someone applied themselves. Might as well face it head on.

Gathering himself up and after glancing once more at his reflection, Null walked back over to his companions while maintaining his calm. Noticing Anselm and Millicent were discussing amongst each other a distance away, the archer could only guess at what they were conversing about. Although, Millicent's weary eyeing of Laura definitely clarified the subject. Null felt sympathy towards the maiden, for in his early years of life, when the transformations set in, his mother looked at him much the same way; always fearful, and never quite sure of what to think about her child being corrupted.

He was only a few feet away before he recognized his closeness to Laura. It'd probably be best to keep my distance until she trusts me, again. No use in making matters worse. Backing off a bit, and making sure he hadn't distressed anyone with his presence, Null looked back over at Millicent and remembered pain found its way back into his heart. Finding no use for such a memory, he dismissed the emotion, for that is all one can do with such feelings.

Returning his attention back to the group, and hearing what Mikhailov had to say, Null glanced around at the small company and said flatly, "I'm ready when you all are."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Felix ear twiches for a moment. He pockets the pebble as it's light was beginning to fade anyways. It was a strange curious item but Laura didn't seem to want it and maybe he could give it a closer look later when emotions weren't running so high. It wasn't long before the Vistani came back out asking if they are ready to see Dame Antonio again he shakes his head. "Go ahead without me guys, I'm going to make sure Obergg here is ok. I've already heard what I needed to hear," said Felix as he bent down low to Obergg. He speaks in Vassi knowing that most of the group doesn't speak it. His face looks gaunt, but not as bad as Obergg's was looking.

"Baukis turned your son into a full fledged vampire?" asked Felix switching between languages like it was the flip of a switch. "She had no right to do that.... are you sure Obergg? I...."
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

Mikhailov, its nice to meet you. You're right, we should finish this up and get Frinkelos' services under way.
As Kamose stands he straightens out his clothing and checks his boots for dirt and mud. After all his friends have gone inside he turns to Mikhailov and asks Will you be joining us? It wouldn't offend my group, you are her husband, after all.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Rexleith wrote:Mikhailov, its nice to meet you. You're right, we should finish this up and get Frinkelos' services under way.
As Kamose stands he straightens out his clothing and checks his boots for dirt and mud. After all his friends have gone inside he turns to Mikhailov and asks Will you be joining us? It wouldn't offend my group, you are her husband, after all.
Mikhailov shakes his head at Kamose and says: "No. No. I have enough to worry about. I never get involved. My wife will be fine without me. There will be no more visions... At least not any time soon..."
Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

My name is Kamose the healer of this group, I thought I should offer. I won't take up anymore of your time. It was nice to meet you Mikhailov. Kamose starts to make his way inside. He had gotten something of a strong fatherly-type vibe off of Mikhailov. It may have just been being the leader of these Vistani but Kamose felt comfortable and reassured around him. The Vistani, he realizes make him feel safe, although their ways are different from his own. He'd enjoy the calm for awhile longer if he could.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Rexleith wrote:My name is Kamose the healer of this group, I thought I should offer. I won't take up anymore of your time. It was nice to meet you Mikhailov. Kamose starts to make his way inside. He had gotten something of a strong fatherly-type vibe off of Mikhailov. It may have just been being the leader of these Vistani but Kamose felt comfortable and reassured around him. The Vistani, he realizes make him feel safe, although their ways are different from his own. He'd enjoy the calm for awhile longer if he could.
Before departing, Mikhailov smiles at Kamose and says: Oh yes. You are "The Glowing One" my wife referred to. You traffic with the dead... Give my regards to Frinkelo if you happen to see him again..."
Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

I'm known as "The Glowing One"?.....I will give Frinkelo your regards if i see him. Kamose can't believe what he's heard. These folks weren't around when he fought the barghast. They didn't see him glowing in the Etherreal Plane, They didn't know he speaks to the dead.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Zilfer wrote:"Baukis turned your son into a full fledged vampire?" asked Felix switching between languages like it was the flip of a switch. "She had no right to do that.... are you sure Obergg? I...."
Upon closer examination, it becomes obvious to Felix that Obregg has been crying. Still bent over the ground, he hears Felix speaking to him and wipes his mouth. Without looking up, he says: "I don't know how... He came to me... After I..."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"There might be a way to turn him back I don't know... I really don't know much about Vampires except for the myths. I can tell you no body has written anything on them that have passed the halls of Il Aluk but I can study and find to see if there is a way to 'cure' him. Unless..." said Felix not really liking the road his mind was walking. "Unless you think he is too far down path. I know no father should have to lay his son to rest, I can imagine nothing harder."

Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

"Finish our meeting?" said Laura to Mikhailov, as he spoke to Kamose. "Did she have a vision about me and this thing? Can she tell me how to get rid of it? I am ready to see her again if she is recovered."
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

CLAIMED BY DARKON
CHAPTER FIVE: A DISH BEST SERVED COLDLY (PART ONE: THE ELENDIGHEDMARK) Continued...

Nova Vaasa, Mid-Spring of 730 BC

The Equaar Camp, The Reading of the Cards, 10:18 PM

To All

The duration of Felix's magical light has ended, and the tent is darkened once more... As you enter Dame Antonina strikes a match, lighting a small lamp on the ground at her hip. She is no longer near Frinkelo's corpse, but rather seated at the center of the pavilion, amidst thick furs that serve as her makeshift bed. She holds an ornate deck of oversized cards in her lap.

"Oh Laura. I am sorry for how I acted before. I severely underestimated the burden you carry...

Dame Antonina pauses for a moment before continuing...

"I need you to be brave now. Will you promise to be brave?.. To know what you carry within you will only make the burden worse. Unfortunately, if we are to find a cure, it is your only option..."

"When I touched you, I saw something inexplicable... From my visions, I can only tell you that the source was Canjar in origin, that it appears to be some kind of arcane energy in its rawest form, and that it utterly terrified me... I will need to consult the Tarokka to know more..."

"Please step forward. I would like for you to shuffle the cards. They may shed some light on your situation..."

Obregg lays down on the ground, oblivious to the mess he has created there. Then he closes his eyes and mumbles to Felix, saying: "Need to rest... Head spinning... Failed Kerchak... Leave me..."

Seeing Felix tending to Obregg, Mikhailov walks over. Leaning down next to the two, he pats Felix on the shoulder, saying: "Earlier he was running around the camp in a panicked frenzy, mumbling something about vampires... Not only is he drunk, but he appears to be hallucinating as well... He should not be left alone... He could be a danger to himself or others... I will help you move him to Boris's tent. He can rest there until he comes to his senses..."
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Nemesio wrote:The duration of Felix's magical light has ended, and the tent is darkened once more... As you enter Dame Antonina strikes a match, lighting a small lamp on the ground at her hip. She is no longer near Frinkelo's corpse, but rather seated at the center of the pavilion, amidst thick furs that serve as her makeshift bed. She holds an ornate deck of oversized cards in her lap.

"Oh Laura. I am sorry for how I acted before. I severely underestimated the burden you carry...

Dame Antonina pauses for a moment before continuing...

"I need you to be brave now. Will you promise to be brave?.. To know what you carry within you will only make the burden worse. Unfortunately, if we are to find a cure, it is your only option..."

"When I touched you, I saw something inexplicable... From my visions, I can only tell you that the source was Canjar in origin, that it appears to be some kind of arcane energy in its rawest form, and that it utterly terrified me... I will need to consult the Tarokka to know more..."

"Please step forward. I would like for you to shuffle the cards. They may shed some light on your situation..."
Laura took the cards from the carpets in front of the old gypsy woman. They were wrapped in a colourful silk scarf. On unwrapping them, she found that the cards themselves were heavy, thick and functional, with signs of careful wear. The edges were blackened by the passage of dozens - perhaps hundreds - of fingers. The backs of the cards were painted with a simple grey box, quite unlike the intricate printings Laura was familiar with on other decks of cards.

As Laura shuffled the cards, Antonina snatched back the silk scarf and spread it on the ground in front of her to receive the cards. The abstract figures on the scarf seemed to dance in the lantern light.

The cards whispered against each other as Laura shuffled. A terrible pressure seemed to descend over the tent, making its inhabitants want to work their mouths and pull their ears to try to adjust to a change that was supernatural rather than physical.

"Under other circumstances, I would take the deck from you and deal them myself, but for this reading, you will deal them yourself." Antonina smiled. "I am still weak from before. Put the first card in the centre of the scarf."

Laura did as she was told. The faces of the cards were intricately painted in sepia and black ink, with red and gold highlighting certain parts. They were beautiful.

"This card represents you - the focus of the reading, as you are now. The conjurer reversed." Laura smiled at the beautiful woman standing in a circle of flames. Her smile faltered as Antonina continued, "the card of dark magic and forbidden knowledge. Reversed, it represents the repression of truth, and the withholding of vital information. Turn the next card, to reveal the past that led you to this focus."

"Ah, the healer. I see by your smile - pained though it is - that this is not a surprise to you."

"No," said Laura. "I went to the Canjar for help healing my father from disease."

"The next card is the present. In conjunction with the focus card, it will tell us whether you are repressing the truth, perhaps even from yourself, or whether other forces are hiding it from you."

The third card was a simple (although upside down) marionette, its features plain, its strings pulled from beyond the card, a tiny golden crown on its nodding head. Uncomfortably, the reversal of the card made it look as though the puppet's strings were pointing straight at Laura.

"This card shows you are a dupe, used by others in games you do not understand," said Antonina simply. "Turn the next card, to show the future that waits at your next turn of the road. Ah! Another from the suit of glyphs - the missionary reversed. Your immediate future is but ignorance and fear, a time when dark forces will spread over the land. I am sorry, my dear: there is little here to offer you comfort from your burdens. Complete the cross; the next card will tell you the outcome of this - whether things are truly as hopeless as they seem."

The next card was a simple flat grey, with a slight mottling of black lines. Antonina breathed a sigh.

"The Mists reversed. An unexpected journey. But! Also a hidden path to success. Your task will not be easy, but there is a way for you to find success! A certain way, although not an easy one to follow or tread."

Laura felt sick. The pressure seemed to be building around her still. She found herself leaning forward, desperate to hear every singsong word from the gypsy. The lamplight flickered, although the air inside the tent was still. But, deep in her soul, Laura felt a flicker of hope.

"Now, three more cards, to give the tower its base. These represent the road you have walked to this point, the turning that have made you who you are." Antonina smiled kindly. "Two are the cards of good hearted, simple folk. The philanthropist speaks of unselfish devotion, of charity, in your beginning. The swashbuckler is one who understands the value of money for what it can do, but does not value it for itself. This is the card for those who seek money to help others. But this card here, at the very base of your tower-" Antonina thrust a bony finger at the cowled shape on the card, although she was careful not to touch it. "The wizard. It speaks of mysteries and riddles, the unknown and the supernatural, the hunger for knowledge. It is the card of your far past. You have been a focus of the wizard for longer than you imagine. This card shows that there are hidden secrets you must uncover if success is to be gained."

The lamp flickered again, and almost went out.

"Now girl, the last three at the top of your tower: the three roads that lead from this place for you."

"The raven: a good card. A good omen. A potential ally or source of information awaits down one of your paths. There is great potential for good here, if you can find this path."

Laura exhaled with relief. Her hands were shaking from tension. She tried to fool herself that this was just nonsense, that her path was her own as the priests of the Overseer had told her, but she believed every word the Vistana said. Her hands were shaking so badly that when she overturned the next card, she fumbled, and it fell at 45 degree to upright. She hurriedly corrected it.

"The artefact. There is an object of importance here - of unparalleled importance for you. It is an absolute necessity!"

The stone! thought Laura. Where is the stone?

"And now, your final path: the dark master, a sign that a great power works against you, an individual whose shadow falls across your path-"

Laura grunted, as though she had been punched in the stomach. At the same moment, the lamp flared and went out, plunging the tent into darkness. Antonina cried out.

Barely a heartbeat later, light flared again. Laura's hand was locked around Antonina's thin wrist, squeezing so hard the skin was white beneath. Her face was barely two inches from Antonina's, monstrously devoid of expression, her eyes rolled back into her head, as sightless as a marble statue's. Her lower body hadn't moved at all, so she seemed grotesquely off balance, as though her head was dragging her body behind it, rather than resting on top of it naturally.

Antonina fumbled on the silk scarf in front of her, eyes locked to Laura's sightless orbs. The Tarokka cards had spilled from Laura's grasp across the ground between them.

"Retregare zsalev!" The seer snatched up two cards and slapped them against Laura's forehead. Laura keeled over soundlessly, the cards still stuck to her head. The sense of pressure in the tent vanished as though it had never been.

Laura's eyelids fluttered. "What...?"

Antonina helped her back up. "Don't worry. It's gone for now." She patted Laura's hand, although the mark of Laura's grip still whitened the skin on her wrist.

Antonina deftly collected the spilled Tarokka deck, using the silk scarf to pick them up rather than touching them with her skin. When all but the last two had been collected, she held out the pile for Laura to place them on the deck.

Laura put the Donjon and the Conjurer back on the deck, and shuddered.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Felix nods slowly and then bends down to put Obergg's arm over his shoulder, as Mikhailov did the same. It wasn't far to his tent and when they set Obergg down he groaned probably more in the shifting position than anything out of hurt. Felix stared down at Obergg for a long moment before looking up to Mikhailov.

"Misfortune seems to follow me where ever I go. I'm hoping this doesn't develop into a reoccurring theme," said Felix speaking Vassi which he figured Mikhailov would understand well enough. "We travel with a Vampire who is most likely the cause of his duress. She must have turned his son fully over into a vampire which means we have two vampires to deal with... Your wife has warned me against Baukis, though she had done nothing besides self preservation and protected our hides more than once on the road. I could see that she might have just done that as convenience to disguise her passage and to help protect herself. She is too strong however to take alone with just us, we would need assistance...."

Felix briefly contemplates asking for assistance from the Vistani here but no doubt they would not want to endanger themselves in such a task. Let alone he wasn't sure he could ask them, since they belonged to a childhood friend of his. He frowned for a moment.

"I remember about forty years of Il Aluk academy and I wonder how long Dame Antonio knew me when I was younger, it sounds like I knew the Equar well is the impression she gave me..." said Felix sounding a bit disappointed that he couldn't remember much. "I don't suppose I could know Antonio's full name?"

Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

So what exactly does this mean? Do most card readings go like this? It seemed rather full of dreadful portents. Kamose can't even begin to fully understand what he's heard. It seemed like a bunch of information all at one time, more to digest then he could in a single evening. Should we continue with palm readings?