Lord of the Rings
38%

Total votes: 24

Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

LouisVendredi wrote:
(Sorry, off-topic ... but I used to game with a LotR-obsessive whom I got a big kick out of baiting. "But if the eagles could fly in and scoop up Frodo and Sam at the last minute, why couldn't they have flown the hobbits to the Cracks of Doom in the freakin' first place...?")
Presumably, because Sauron would have noticed them if they did that.
Yeah, but what about amulets of proof against detection and location? Geez, didn't anyone else get sort of irritated at Gandalf? "I'm no conjurer of cheap tricks!"

C'mon man, it's just a simple item! :wink:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Not to mention that, since Gandalf didn't instantly recognize Bilbo's ring for the Ring when he first found out about its magic, that implies there are other kinds of invisibility-magic in Middle Earth that have got nothing to do with Sauron. :wink:

Sorry, that temptation to bait just won't let off. :roll:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Not to mention that, since Gandalf didn't instantly recognize Bilbo's ring for the Ring when he first found out about its magic, that implies there are other kinds of invisibility-magic in Middle Earth that have got nothing to do with Sauron. :wink:

Sorry, that temptation to bait just won't let off. :roll:
By all means, have fun and bait away...

*grabs popcorn and sits down expectantly*

This should be fun... :lol:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

Not to mention that, since Gandalf didn't instantly recognize Bilbo's ring for the Ring when he first found out about its magic, that implies there are other kinds of invisibility-magic in Middle Earth that have got nothing to do with Sauron.
Quite probable. But, if Sauron could see through the ring's invisibility, what's to say he couldn't see through other forms?
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Out of curiosity, did you watch the cartoon version of The Hobbit as a kid (like I did), and then read The Lord of the Rings as an adult? I think that might be the reason I look at The Hobbit as I do.
Nope, I've never seen the cartoon version. One of my friends who has it on tape tried to get me to watch it once but I never got around to it.