Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Ceremonial Rolling of the First Die

Post by NeoTiamat »

Ail wrote:
Ail wrote:Well, just a test then =)

[dice]138431:0[/dice]

so, let's check this...
After an edit, even removing the [dice] tag did not erase the result. Actually, I'm even curious of where in memory the result is kept. Probably a session variable or something like that.
However, there's no defense really against this:

Ail rolled 5 20-sided dice:
20, 20, 20, 20, 20

You have to quote the message or so to see that it is not a dice roll, but simply formatted text. Were I the DM, I'd keep external dice rollers with some other kind of authentication: mail sending or direct link.
Ooooh, good point. Though it looks different when you quote it, still, that's a bit of a verification issue.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The results are stored in the MySQL database for the board. A new table is added to the ones that store posts, login info, etc. No one can get at it except an Admin (in theory), and even if you delete the [ dice ] tags, the mod knows which posts have rolled dice, and it re-inserts it at some point in the flow.

The "faking" of dice with formatting would be tough to completely prevent. The only way I can think of to do would be to have the official format be in a font that's not available for general posting. no idea if that's even possible. Even the graphical versions could be faked. Just insert a link the picture, like this:

Honestly, if people want to cheat in an RPG, they are jerks, and I try not to play with jerks. Hopefully the DMs here can trust their players at least a bit. If not, then no amount of security is going to help. And I say to these hypothetical jerks: "good for you. your character 'wins'. congratulations. Why not just write a story instead and stop wasting your DM and fellow players' time?" :roll:

I'm open to suggestions to making it more secure, (or replacing it with a more secure one) but I didn't write it, nor do I have the skillz to do more than minor changes to it.

Of course, the other alternative is to threaten such jerks with banning from the forums, but I hope we don't have to resort to that.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Well, I don't know how the details work out, but Myth-Weavers has a special system.

I think the fact that quoting reveals that particular trick is a fairly solid security measure, ultimately, since you need to have a *lot* of audacity to dare when the truth is a click away. :-p
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Honestly, if people want to cheat in an RPG, they are jerks, and I try not to play with jerks. Hopefully the DMs here can trust their players at least a bit. If not, then no amount of security is going to help. And I say to these hypothetical jerks: "good for you. your character 'wins'. congratulations. Why not just write a story instead and stop wasting your DM and fellow players' time?" :roll:

I'm open to suggestions to making it more secure, (or replacing it with a more secure one) but I didn't write it, nor do I have the skillz to do more than minor changes to it.

Of course, the other alternative is to threaten such jerks with banning from the forums, but I hope we don't have to resort to that.
Lol. I just answered a challenge, Ron :) You said in a previous post you'd like to know of vulnerabilities of the dice roller so I was simply exploring some. Anyway, the reason I may stick to outside dice rollers is mainly because of the bugs you said there might be with the additive bonuses, and because I really like to have the result added for me. I'm used to it on other rollers.

But that's not a major problem anyway.

Cheers.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Ail wrote:Well, just a test then =)

[dice]138431:0[/dice]

so, let's check this...
After an edit, even removing the [dice] tag did not erase the result. Actually, I'm even curious of where in memory the result is kept. Probably a session variable or something like that.
I believe the dice rolls are stored directly in the database.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ail wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Honestly, if people want to cheat in an RPG, they are jerks, and I try not to play with jerks.
Lol. I just answered a challenge, Ron :) You said in a previous post you'd like to know of vulnerabilities of the dice roller so I was simply exploring some.
Yeah, I know. I wasn't saying you were one of those jerks. Just stating my general philosophy. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Asia Carrera tries to shoot Vlad Drakov with a pump-action shotgun. (Happens all the time.)

AC's skill is 9 and VD's effective Dodge is 9. He is wearing armor that gives DR 3. At this range, there is no range penalty but the shotgun pellets are clustered closely.

Asia shoots! [dice]0[/dice]
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

She's on target! Does Vlad Drakov dodge successfully?

[dice]0[/dice]
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

He dodges! Asia Carrera's shot goes wide and the Falkovnian dictator advances yet closer with murder on his mind...