The Devil's Dreams OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Devil's Dreams OOC

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Since I am playing a new PC, what level can I make my him at?
I have modfied the policy in the interests of simplicity, fairness, and game balance.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

gotcha
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Okay, I'm in. :)

Only prob, I am busy with school until the end of the week.

Will it be acceptable if I hand in Dofur lvl 5 by the end of the next week.

I am fairly comfortable with the idea of a pala dwarf, and, I hope I can focus a bit more on the game than I did previously.

Also, what mount should Dofur choose?!

YOU DECIDE, fellow companions?

Goat? Dog? Dire Hamster? :lucas:
Le Noir Faineant

On another note:

I strongly object to some of the new rules.

For once, it's pretty unfair that JMatyr has to pick a chara two-levels lower than the others, given how he drove great part of the last game.

Second, so if we die, we basically get kicked out? Not cool. I think the only one of the group that didn't get his character killed was Adam.

However, especially given that I was really just a second-tier player by the campaign's end, I am willing to settle for this if the others are okay with it.

I hope noone feels offended that I am again a bit more vocal than others would do; I would have sent Ewan a PM, but since I think there's already discussion at the Fb group, let's better discuss this in the open, before people get offended.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Heya Ewan,

you think you could add me to the waiting list? I'm very curious about this, not only because of the title but because it's the continuation of a long-running campaign.

I have never read the logs of the previous one, as it seemed veeeery long, but I heard very good things about it =)

So, if I can, do tell me what I would need to give you and how much time I have to fix that.

Thanks.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

My two cents about the rules, with all due respect to everyone involved:

I think some slight penalty for characters who've switched out PCs would be appropriate, but given the pace of the game I wonder if 2 levels might be a bit much. Keep in mind that so far we've averaged about 1 level per real time year. Now I know none of us are power gamers here, but I could see a two level penalty seriously somebody back if we keep progressing at the same pace. Maybe something besides a level penalty would be better? Something that would encourage people to stick with their characters but still give new PCs the chance to catch up?

[[Edit: ^^Wrote this before I saw ewan's update about the levels. I think the revision sounds more fair.]]

That said, Raf, I don't think Ewan is draconian about character death. I mean nobody died just because of a random combat roll or anything. Let's take a look at how the PCs died.

-Buckman: Basically died because his PC stopped playing him.

-Cirdan: Tried to attack an unarmed Jon just because he suspected (but had no proof) that Jon was the murderer.

-Norzak: Followed Vistani into the mists.

-Thora: Disobeyed an order from a group of guards right after a bunch of guards had been killed.

-John Strange: Summoned a demon after being warned not to summon the demon.

-Galandel (not dead, but effectively removed as a PC): Killed several guards, struck the first blow.

-Jon: Had to know that the character wouldn't last indefinitely given his nature.

-Skybolt, Van, Adam, and myself never lost our PCs.

I'm not listing that to criticize any of the players. In most of those cases the players were acting in accordance with their characters' personalities. But my point is that nobody just died out of the blue. Everybody who lost a PC surely had to realize that their actions, however appropriate, might have fatal consequences for the PCs.

So I'm fine with people getting rotated out of the list if they die, and I'm saying that knowing that the way I plan on taking Dorgio might make his death likely in the next campaign.
Last edited by Brock Marsh Runoff on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

But let's get back to serious questions: Dofur should totally ride a goat.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Le Noir Faineant

That's exactly the point.

If I know I am being cut in the case of a loss, I will go on to fight/play defensively. Which would take away a lot of the fun.

Also, to be honest, I am not looking to accomplish anything with this game.

I just like :gabrielle: you guys :gabrielle: and to hang out like this.

If I would play with other people, the sensation wouldn't be the same. So, I have a certain interest that the group stays like this.

Oh. My. Goodness. Seems like last night I was molested by a care bear.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Oh. My. Goodness. Seems like last night I was molested by a care bear.
Where are these pictures?

Oh my two cents worth. I have way too many pcs that died or were played. John was really my fault, well he wanted to help out by using the scroll.

Thora, well yanno, shit happens.

Norzak, hummm, I as a person know about following Vistani into the mists. Norzak however didn't. That was a dice roll by ewan.

Even though I sometimes might not agree with ewan or Rafael with DM decisions, I still play. If I have something I don't like I tell it to
them in pm. Regardless, ewan is a good dm and whatever his decisions are I abide by them as with Rafael. I play in Raf's game on another site btw and actually started in his game here back in 2005.

I am actually looking forward to playing my newest p.c Vinegar Mirabulos and her familiar Mr Salt [He's a weasel btw - ironic ain't it JMaytr?]
Le Noir Faineant

LIKE WHAT, YOU DARN...*Thinks really hard of something nasty to say, despairs over it, and continues to watch Disney's Gummibears while cowering in fetal position.*?

MY DMING IS FLAWLESS, LIKE SCORPION'S VICTORIES IN MORTAL COMBAT VS DC!!!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

For my part, Benn has been in plenty of situations where if I hadn't managed to hit a dice roll, I would be dead (I can recall being stuck, alone, with a big bad and only saving myself with sanctuary, etc.) Frankly, I will be very disappointed if I end up on a waiting list because of a bad roll or something. That said, some pc's have it coming, and if we can avoid anymore random assaults on town guards, I'll be ok with that.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

I'll be playing a Chaotic Good Human Bard from Kartakass.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The new rules, as some of you have already noticed, were quickly fixed the other day. A discrepancy in starting levels was brought to my attention, and I adjusted things accordingly.

Now, allow me to explain my thinking as to player rotation and the waiting list.

It's not a punishment.

It potentially gives more people a chance to play, including our old friends like Ken of Ghastria

Raf mentioned that the potential for player rotation would have him playing defensively- and what's wrong with that? Sane PCs should be played as if they have a natural fear of death and consciousness of their own mortality, should they not? This is a horror game, isn't it?

If the waiting list doesn't have anybody on it when your guy dies, you don't get rotated. You can come back in with a new PC or adopted NPC, and sooner rather than later.

Ideas, questions, comments?
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:My two cents about the rules, with all due respect to everyone involved:

I think some slight penalty for characters who've switched out PCs would be appropriate, but given the pace of the game I wonder if 2 levels might be a bit much. Keep in mind that so far we've averaged about 1 level per real time year. Now I know none of us are power gamers here, but I could see a two level penalty seriously somebody back if we keep progressing at the same pace. Maybe something besides a level penalty would be better? Something that would encourage people to stick with their characters but still give new PCs the chance to catch up?

[[Edit: ^^Wrote this before I saw ewan's update about the levels. I think the revision sounds more fair.]]
This is precisely why I edited it and scrapped the two level penalty. I decided that it was a bit too much, and could cause wide power gaps/imbalance play.

Honestly, the player rotation rule is probably sufficient for my purposes.
I may just ditch the 'level drop' thing entirely.
I may instead adopt the policy: all new PCs begin at 4th level until further notice. If I feel that I need to raise the default because the whole party has become higher level, I will do so.

Thoughts on this?

We haven't begun play yet, so now is the best time to give me input. I am a firm DM, but I'm not draconian. Anyone who really doesn't like my style is free to move on, of course. I won't take that personally.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:I'll be playing a Chaotic Good Human Bard from Kartakass.

Nice! :lucas: