Ideas and questions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ideas and questions

Post by Zilfer »

Got to thinking about why someone like Coin existed, a man who deals with years of your life and which since he's still around he probably has a large bank of years that he can draw off of, and live that long. The question is what is he trying to do with all these years he gathers up from those who gamble and lose?

Why would he want to enslave someone who owes him 500 years of their life?

Came to me while thinking of a Curse or Darklord concept and i just happened to combine the two ideas for a moment. Darklord concept went out the window when i linked the two though.

I was thinking about Alazin(sp?) the wizard that is very old but never ever learns anything new. I thought it was fitting because you could ask yourself. what makes him powerful? The ability to learn?

Got to asking myself, what would make a warrior or fighter power. I instantly think of their sword. thought what if every sword you used broke? Or any weapon for that matter. Got to thinking that would be a little lame if he couldn't use a weapon at any time. then I thought, what would be worse is if every weapon you used lasted for awhile until you were about to land a killing blow on the person. Only when the killing blow would finish the opponent did the weapon break.

Now I linked that thought with Coin using one of the PC's for his dirty work. (whatever that is at the moment still need to flush that out. Suggestions welcome) If he could not fight himself and/or could force someone else to do something he didn't wouldn't the curse match him slightly? Obviously someone who's been cursed with the inability to land a killing blow would have to use others to their own ends.

What do you guys think? XD

Those Dark Fey btw, were would i find info on them? Maybe it was already said in this topic i'll double check a little later.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote:Got to asking myself, what would make a warrior or fighter power. I instantly think of their sword. thought what if every sword you used broke? Or any weapon for that matter. Got to thinking that would be a little lame if he couldn't use a weapon at any time. then I thought, what would be worse is if every weapon you used lasted for awhile until you were about to land a killing blow on the person. Only when the killing blow would finish the opponent did the weapon break.
Sounds like the sort of thing the dark powers would do. Kind of like Sodo the doppelganger, he loves to strangle his victims, but the Dark Powers gave him a healing touch he can't turn off.
Those Dark Fey btw, were would i find info on them? Maybe it was already said in this topic i'll double check a little later.
The major sources are the 2nd Edition module, The Shadow Rift, and the 3.5 edition Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey and Gazetteer vol V. There may be some info on them in Mistipedia, I'm not sure how much has made it in so far. Briefly, the Shadow Fey are also called the Arak, named after their lost king, Arak. They come in many different forms, and in all different alignments, but even the "good" ones have a twisted sort of alien amorality when it comes to humans. Sunlight is deadly to all of them, which is why they live in the Rift. They scheme against each other, but are bound by Law not to kill one another. They were once normal fey, but were twisted by an evil shadow-sorcerer-fiend-tentacle-monster named Gwydion, who is the darklord of the Rift, but is imprisoned in the gate that brought the Arak to Ravenloft. So even normal Monster Manual fey could be twisted by Gwydion (who they call the Twilight, no relation to the vampire romance books. :P) and become shadow fey, if you can't get a hold of the books.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

aha, i see. Sunlight is deadly to them eh? From the Ravenloft module one of the PC's actually has an amulet that glows with the power of the sun that can stun vampires for 1d10 rounds. I'm sure the shadow fey wouldn't like that. xD

If i get what your saying they scheme against one another but don't kill each other directly? Almost sounds like the Drow. They are rewarded for secretly dealing with their rivals.

Healing hands? lol that is funny, I can imagin him trying to kill himself in frustration, though that brings up another point he'd be hard to fight if he could just run away for a moment and "strangle himself" and then come back with a mean temper. xD

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote:If i get what your saying they scheme against one another but don't kill each other directly? Almost sounds like the Drow. They are rewarded for secretly dealing with their rivals.
I guess "scheme" might be the wrong word. They're more varied than the Drow in interests. They only scheme when those interests collide. They are divided into two camps, the Seelie Court (good) and the Unseelie Court (evil), and usually go about their business. The Alven (tiny CG faeries with butterfly wings) tend to plants. The Fir (creepy human baby-like CN critters) make bizarre machines. The Sith (tall thin elf-like LE(?) dudes) are obsessed with death. etc, etc.. The key part is not the scheming, just that they don't kill each other.

Also, shadow fey of all types and alignments are known to create "changelings" by stealing the shadows of humans they take a fancy to. They bring the shadow to the Rift, where it becomes an immortal copy of the original person, and the original person becomes a soul-less automaton with no shadow. This is seen as an honor by the shadow fey (one example of that weird amorality).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

whoa, that sounds nasty about the shadow stealing. o.O'