5e announced!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: 5e announced!

Post by alhoon »

Zilfer, the Advantage is like a +4 or +5 bonus when you need a roll of 6-16 and disadvantage is like a -4 or -5 penalty.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It's been commented in design blogs Advantage should come at the cost of an action. You spend a round hiding or feinting or twirling your sword and gain Advantage.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Meh...
I prefer "you spend an action and the other guy you assist takes advantage" as per my new 3.5 edition house rules.
But yeah, spending an action, a standard action that is or how they call them in 5e, and next round you have advantage seems a fair trade off. Especially if you go for spells as attack rolls vs static defences.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

alhoon wrote:Meh...
I prefer "you spend an action and the other guy you assist takes advantage" as per my new 3.5 edition house rules.
But yeah, spending an action, a standard action that is or how they call them in 5e, and next round you have advantage seems a fair trade off. Especially if you go for spells as attack rolls vs static defences.
Well, you spending your action to give someone else advantage is roughly equivalent to you spending your action to grant yourself advantage.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Would you gain advantage on all your rolls then? I mean if I have 2 attacks + 1 for duel weilding I'd definately spend a turn to feint because next turn 6 slung dice with rapier's crit range 18-20. XD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Jester of the FoS

Zilfer wrote:Would you gain advantage on all your rolls then? I mean if I have 2 attacks + 1 for duel weilding I'd definately spend a turn to feint because next turn 6 slung dice with rapier's crit range 18-20. XD
We don't know for sure yet. Multiple attacks haven't been covered.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What has been covered is that we won't see crit ranges of 18-20 at low levels. :P
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gotcha. :D Not even if we take a feat? xD

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

they haven't mentioned it. Since such a feat existed at 8th lvl in 3e and epic levels in 4th, I think the chances for a low level feat to increase threat range are slim. If you want it, now is the time to ask for it, as they work on criticals since most didn't like them.
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

Even then, features and feats that increased the range of criticals grew really rare after PHB1. It's not something they're doing much any more.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I see I see. Do we know if we have to "confirm crits" then? (played with a house rule that 20 crit, automatically. >.> It was fun/ny when the DM came in after someone was seperated from the group and asked for someone or anyone to roll for him real quick because he forgot his dice.... (20!) ok roll again. (20!), ok..... roll again. (20!) ok roll again. (makes a show of rolling it really really well and rolls. (20!) *DM Smiles* roll again. (20!) And for the last one just because everyone watching the rolls were amazed i tossed it completely across the table and 20'd for a sixth and final time. (needless to say my com-padre separated from the group was lucky he decided to have everyone ELSE roll a dice for the 6 attack rolls coming at him. He still got messed up really badly from everyone else's rolls. I hold the record for 20's in a row currently. :D)

Ok after that random tangent. So most weapons won't have a "crit range then it sounds like?"

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

They're working on the critical mechanics but it seems the "Threat to crit" is a thing of the past, since it was gone from 4e and few people missed it.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ah sounds good to me. (means more critical hits at lower levels. :D)

Jester of the FoS

Zilfer wrote:Ah sounds good to me. (means more critical hits at lower levels. :D)
Heck, I'm pulling confirming crits from my Pathfinder game.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK 2nd survey tonight. Already completed. Had to do with which (sounding like 3.5) edition spells we consider more iconic.

Aside from my choices, that I went for iconic, not which I liked best or which I think are more powerful, I gave comments.

Please please playtesters, remember to ask WotC to add the names back, like Melf's acid arrow and change that dreadful "arcane lock" back to the original "wizard's lock".
I also asked for cleric utility and divination spells and suggested that low level spells should give advantage to one skill for a bit (like chameleon for stealth instead of a +X) or initiative while 3rd lvl cleric spells should give advantage to saving throws for a short time or something or all skill rolls with a specific skill for a day.
My DMGuild work!