Page 191 of 277

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:47 pm
by ewancummins
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:This is off topic, but I just finished a book some of you might be interested in. It's called "Gates of Fire," about Thermopylae. It's much less jingoistic than something like 300, and does a pretty good job of showing the ugly side of Sparta while being at least somewhat sympahetic to some of the Persian characters. Also, I know a lot of you are George R. R. Martin fans, and I get the sense that this book influenced A Song of Ice and Fire. One of the Greeks even uses a phrase that's very similar to a catchphrase of one of The Bloody Mummers.
I've read it- a truly great novel. It's one of my all-time favorite books, in fact. They ought to have made it a movie, and not 300- except I wouldn't trust Hollywood to get it right.

EDIT-


The cabin's back room has space for six sleepers, though that would be very cramped. Four would be more comfortable, though still close. The front room has space for two more, besides Higgen and Aidhra.




on porch
Galandel

inside?
Alain
Benn
Dorgio
Jon
Dofur
Karim
Franz
Wat

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:48 pm
by Adam
ewancummins wrote:in the woods

The pack leader takes the scent, nostrils flaring wide to draw in the night air. Smells of manflesh, woodsmoke, mule, dog, lesser wolf...and something to stir the beast's ever-powerful hunger to new heights: sweet, tender elf-meat. Such rare treat that is.

The beasts slowly circle the woods about the clearing in the deep darkness of the overcast night, watching and waiting. The glowing stone, hurled into the night by the magic man- it will fade and die. The fire in the cabin will sputter and die- and the manlings will have to come out for more wood. Cold and darkness always defeat fire and light, in the end.

The hunters have only to be patient, and the feast will begin.
You're mean.

I'm inside.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:50 pm
by steveflam
Franz will sleep on the porch with Galandel, too many people inside. HE is used to sleeping outdoors given his soldier background.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 pm
by ewancummins
Noted.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 pm
by Brock Marsh Runoff
Dorgio will sleep in the front room, and will keep an eye on the fire until he goes to sleep.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 am
by ewancummins
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Dorgio will sleep in the front room, and will keep an eye on the fire until he goes to sleep.
I leave it up to each player as to when his PC goes to sleep. Yes, fatigue penalties may apply if your PC misses a lot of sleep.

I've advanced the night a bit, on the presumption that most of the party is getting some rest.

If anyone wishes to venture out to the woodpile to fetch more firewood before midnight, let me know.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:33 am
by RocEter
Galandel probably would have rested as soon as the blanket was handed to him, he hasn't fully reassured himself that there wasn't something in the woods earlier.

Is that okay?

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:30 am
by Lord Skybolt
Alain will go out to the wood pile before midnight so their is enough wood to last at least 4 more hours he will cast light on a rock and ask Higgens and Wat to help him get the wood also .

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 pm
by ewancummins
RocEter wrote:Galandel probably would have rested as soon as the blanket was handed to him, he hasn't fully reassured himself that there wasn't something in the woods earlier.

Is that okay?
Yes, that's fine.


Also- Skybolt, I'll post for your little woodpile expedition now, as it is not yet midnight, gametime.

EDIT:
I have posted, based on Skybolt's directions.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:12 pm
by ewancummins
Monster had a surprise round. Hit and did 8 points damage to Alain.

Its init count is 12 You may roll init for Alain, Lord Skybolt.
Wat 9
Higgen 7


The woodpile is close to the cabin, only about 30 feet away( it wouldn't make sense to place it too far from the house, after all).

Any PC might have heard the attack/Wat screaming.

Galandel automatically hears it, as he is awake.

sleeping on porch- Listen DC 5
sleeping inside Listen DC 8

If your PC makes the listen check, he is aware of a ruckus and some screaming coming from outside- somewhree over near the woodpile/trail.

If not- maybe he continues to sleep, or maybe he is awake but confused about the direction/origin of the screaming. Roleplay as you like.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm
by steveflam

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm
by Brock Marsh Runoff
Damn, just barely missed it with a 7.


http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2411636/

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm
by ewancummins
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Damn, just barely missed it with a 7.


http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2411636/
Well, Munchen's barking right outside may wake Dorgio- but I suggest that your roleplay the priest as confused by all the screaming, barking and racket. It may be hard to understand just what Franz is saying. He probably cannot act for the first round- too confused, maybe not even dressed, not armed, etc.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm
by steveflam
Doh! I will repost cause moi forgot I was outside :P

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm
by ewancummins
tarlyn wrote:Doh! I will repost cause moi forgot I was outside :P
On the porch with the elf and the animals.