Curse of the Witch-King OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of the Witch-King OOC

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I think I will skip the flying spell and plan for a ship to Hulburg.

The journey can skip the western end of Vaasa, unless rumors heard on the road point to something unmissable.

How long would a trip through Hulburg, Maur-Eturo, and Palischuk to Castle Perilous take? I roughly estimated 8 days for the land-based part of the trip. Once I add in planned time for exploration, I can estimate how long the house will need to be paid for in advance (What is the rent?), among other things.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Probably more like a fortnight, given terrain and conditions.

It's trails, not proper roads, most of the way, and the terrain in the south is mountainous. The weather will be warmer than the killing winter, but there will be snow and mud.
The trip would be easier with ponies and mules. Not that you'd necessarily cover more ground in a day (the abstracted rules are reasonable enough, with about 24 miles in a day or travel by pony or a hard foot march), but you wouldn't have to hump your kit all the way. Walk, ride, walk, rest.
The good news is that allies within 30 feet of Alain benefit from his cloak. So you may not likely suffer much personally from bad weather. It will slow you down, though.
Your party was given ponies by the Burghers of Harrowdale.
Did you ever sell them or let them go?
I don't recall that you did. Which means each PC owns a pretty good, study riding pony of fine Dalelands stock.

Add at least seven days sailing' to Hulburg, as any vessel you purchase passage on will make a few trade stops along the way, following a coastal route.

Estimated cost of trip for three PCs with their own ponies and a mule or two:

270 gp ship's passage
additional mule or donkey with rope, kit 15 gp
fodder, water, and a couple of days' stabling for mounts and pack animal 10 gp
a couple of days at inns and caravanserais, living cheaply 5 gp

That's 300 total for the party.

Push it up to about 400 if Theophilus comes along riding a donkey or something like that.

I am assuming that you will be casting create food and water spells. Alain has his own supply.

I haven't added in the cost of any other travel stuff you may want, like tents.

Check your sheet and party gear /stuff list. I think you did buy a mule in Yulash.

800 for a round trip.

Renting a good quality inn room in the SRD is a couple of GP per night.
I can't see renting an entire house being cheaper than that. An inn has paid staff and other expenses an empty house doesn't. But you are leaving Alwina and the baby, yes? She will presumably need a guard and a slave or servant to help with errands.

A month's rent, a slave wetnurse, hired help or cheap slave domestic, hired guard, allowance for Alwina's food, clothes, household expenses

easily 200 more...

So all told a 1000 gp for the trip and setting up your domestic affairs.

And, yeah, precious metals are stupidly cheap in D&D bog standard rules.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:Probably more like a fortnight, given terrain and conditions.
. . .
Add at least seven days sailing' to Hulburg, as any vessel you purchase passage on will make a few trade stops along the way, following a coastal route.
So approximately a month and a half for the whole trip, not including exploratory time? I should think we will be back before two months are out, then.
ewancummins wrote:Your party was given ponies by the Burghers of Harrowdale.
Did you ever sell them or let them go?
I don't recall that you did. Which means each PC owns a pretty good, study riding pony of fine Dalelands stock.
I never remember explicitly selling them, but I also don't remember taking them through the portal to Yûlash and prying them out of the sewers. I do remember buying ponies in Yûlash:
ewancummins wrote:Kolkulf and Raen decide to buy horses, although not the fancy and expensive Dales ponies. Going to the hardpacked earthen square called the Hoof Market, they obtain mounts for the whole party, plus two donkeys for hauling baggage. Rations, tack, and other travel supplies may be had easily and at reasonable prices in the nearby stores.
Either way, I suppose we still have them.
ewancummins wrote:So all told a 1000 gp for the trip and setting up your domestic affairs.
That sounds good to me.
ewancummins wrote:I am assuming that you will be casting create food and water spells. Alain has his own supply.
This is what I will cover with the field provisions box. That will bring the trip total up to 2000 gp. Klokulf will get right on making that.

One more thing: How is my clutch of lizardman eggs doing? Have they already hatched? I will need to know what to do with them while Klokulf is traveling.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

YOU CAN HAZ LIZARDDDSSSSS

The eggs have hatched, yeah.
The little dudes should be kept someplace moist and warm, and indoors.
You can swampify part of the cellar by having a slave fill some old basins and tubs with mud, dead grass, etc.
It should be kept warm, so coal braziers or the like seem like a good idea.

K's landlord:
"Ah, well, at least it isn't zombies. Or a baatezu! You never get that brimstone smell outta the curtains"

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nice! Will this add something to the cost of setting Klokulf's affairs in order?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Nice! Will this add something to the cost of setting Klokulf's affairs in order?

Yes.

They are much smaller than horses but they will be eating a lot of fish, not hay, and they certainly will need plenty of water.

Oh, wait...

1 Katrin

2 Klokulf

3 Alwina

4 Theophilus

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The lizardlings aren't cheap. These little buggers are going to need a lot of meat, preferably fish. No shortage of that locally, though, being as you are right at the river-mouth on the Moonsea.
The good news is that Theophilus was there when they hatched and the little guys seem to like him.
Leaving him behind with orders to care for them will cover the cost of taking care of them by saving his passage and other travel costs.

He's a pretty smart kid, and if you allow him access to books, he will read up on the care and feeding of lizardmen, or at least whatever sage's lore exists about them in the BLACK LIBRARY OF BANE.

Muwhahahhahaha!

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:Leaving him behind with orders to care for them will cover the cost of taking care of them by saving his passage and other travel costs.

He's a pretty smart kid, and if you allow him access to books, he will read up on the care and feeding of lizardmen, or at least whatever sage's lore exists about them in the BLACK LIBRARY OF BANE.
We'll do that!

Klokulf will explicitly request that Theophilus talk to them while caring for them, thus exposing them to language as one would do with human children.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Theophilus seems happy not to be headed for Vaasa (Zhentil Keep may not be too cheery, but it is his hometown and not a far wilderness on the other side of ogre territory) and also genuinely interested in the lizardlings. He will talk to them and read to them.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I have advanced the timeline to midmonth, allowing time for planning, research, item creation, legwork, etc.

The ship is leaving now.
I have posted a scene for the departure. Anyone may post as he or she likes.

Then, off to sail the Moonsea!

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord Skybolt and I were talking about making a few other items, including an extra field provisions box (as a backup and to feed horses), three healing belts, and perhaps a +1 Strength enhancing item for Klokulf. Klokulf will be on the hook for another 1500 gp, at least (Alain would pay for the other box and one of the belts).
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Wolfglide wrote:Lord Skybolt and I were talking about making a few other items, including an extra field provisions box (as a backup and to feed horses), three healing belts, and perhaps a +1 Strength enhancing item for Klokulf. Klokulf will be on the hook for another 1500 gp, at least (Alain would pay for the other box and one of the belts).
The Strength boosting Item I can make for you is fine if you provide 500 Gp for it . I also need what slot you want the item to take up . The options are standard belt for waist slot, next ones are Arms or hands slots . This will take another day as well, which Ewan said we still have time for .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Lord Skybolt and I were talking about making a few other items, including an extra field provisions box (as a backup and to feed horses), three healing belts, and perhaps a +1 Strength enhancing item for Klokulf. Klokulf will be on the hook for another 1500 gp, at least (Alain would pay for the other box and one of the belts).
No problem.

I will adjust the date to the middle of the next month. That gives you both plenty of time to collaborate on all these items.
It also bumps you into early summer by the time time you hit Hulburg.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord Skybolt wrote:
The Strength boosting Item I can make for you is fine if you provide 500 Gp for it . I also need what slot you want the item to take up . The options are standard belt for waist slot, next ones are Arms or hands slots . This will take another day as well, which Ewan said we still have time for .
I think the arms slot would work.