The Devil's Dreams OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Re: The Devil's Dreams OOC

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

ewancummins wrote:The new rules, as some of you have already noticed, were quickly fixed the other day. A discrepancy in starting levels was brought to my attention, and I adjusted things accordingly.

Now, allow me to explain my thinking as to player rotation and the waiting list.

It's not a punishment.

It potentially gives more people a chance to play, including our old friends like Ken of Ghastria

Raf mentioned that the potential for player rotation would have him playing defensively- and what's wrong with that? Sane PCs should be played as if they have a natural fear of death and consciousness of their own mortality, should they not? This is a horror game, isn't it?

If the waiting list doesn't have anybody on it when your guy dies, you don't get rotated. You can come back in with a new PC or adopted NPC, and sooner rather than later.

Ideas, questions, comments?
*Too lazy to use quote function Pacquiao vs Random Mexican is like sleeping pill, even when you watch it in the morning.*

Well, if you think it is a good idea, then it shall be this way. When things don't work out as planned, I'll be glad to say "I told you so". - When things work out your way, I'll probably say the same. ;)

Just saying that a lot of the appeal of the game came from the "see-it-coming"-scenes. If they don't come up any more now, because we fear that we get canned, this supposes a notable change of gaming style.

- In short, been there, done that. Uncool. Hope this works out better, but having the urge to smartypant even now.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

ewan wrote:Thoughts on this?
I'm cool with it. And I don't see anything wrong with playing "defensively." It's not like any of our characters have death wishes and even poor Dorgio has a survival instinct. But my main goal here is to tell a good story; if my character dies as a result so be it, I'm fine with the wait list.

Also I think a good roleplayer will be true to their PC regardless of whether they can "see it coming." But on the other hand, it's not like anybody's character was forced into a suicidal choice by the plot. In most cases when a PC died, the player could have made an alternate choice that still would have been perfectly in keeping with the character without being suicidal. Keep in mind I'm also speaking about myself here, because if Dorgio had wandered into the mists after his confrontation with Jon, well that would have been monumentally suicidal too, probably.

In fact I think the possibility of getting rotated out will help us consider our PC's actions more closely before any of us do anything that seriously affects the direction of the campaign.

But again, I'm digressing from more important matters: Dofur needs a wargoat.

"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Ewan, I'm posting again because you may have missed my previous post, as it was so quickly swamped by the posts about dying rules.

So, the gist of it was: CAN I JOIN?! :D
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

So according to you, Vinegar is 4th level, right ewan?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Everyone, thank you for all the feedback.

Yes, Vinegar will begin play at level 4, the same as other new PCs.

Yes, Ail, you can join the waitlist.

RE Rotation: If it works out as badly as Raf suspects, I will alter the policy. As the DM, my word may be law, but that doesn't mean I won't change a policy if it is clearly having a negative impact on the game. I want my players to have fun. Right now, most people are in favor of rotation/willing to try it, and I think it is a good idea. Let's try it and see how it works out. That's what we did with 'lose a guy, drop a level', which was not in effect at the beginning of the last game.

In the interests of fairness and game balance, I'm replacing 'lose a guy, drop a level' with player rotation. Dropping a level and sitting on the bench seems too harsh, now that I've had more time to examine the issue.

I will add Ail and then freeze the waitlist.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Le Noir Faineant

As I said earlier, I am cool if you are cool.

I might bitch around heavily whenever somebody dies, though.

...But you could bribe me by letting me name my warsheep Shakira.

Deal?
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Noir Faineant

Just how big is this MONSTER in relation to the trees??? WAAAH!!!

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rafael wrote:As I said earlier, I am cool if you are cool.

I might bitch around heavily whenever somebody dies.

...Though you could bribe me by letting me name my warsheep Shakira.

Deal?

Sure. :lol: Shakira it is.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

PS- I'm assuming that you have a larger fantasy version of the Bighorn. It might as big as a mule!

Shakira is a real name, you know. It's Arabic. It's also feminine, which would be a bit humorous for a ram (I'm assuming you wanty those big horns).
Shakir is the male version.

Of course, your dwarf is not an Arab, is he? Maybe the name has a completely different etymology and meaning in Dwarvish.

Dofur's Middle-English represents an old fashioned Mordentish, yes?
What is the tongue of his people like? Norse? Some old Germannic dialect?
Something else entirely? Do they use runes to write?

I'd like to discuss the dwarf realm from whence he comes. PM me.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

ewancummins wrote: Shakira is a real name, you know. It's Arabic.
If I remember right from when I visited Turkey, Shakira is a piece of cloth to put around the waist. Found the name funny by then =) I bought one to offer my dearest half...

By the way, do I have to make a PC sheet already, or can I wait until the waiting list rotates?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ail wrote:
ewancummins wrote: Shakira is a real name, you know. It's Arabic.
If I remember right from when I visited Turkey, Shakira is a piece of cloth to put around the waist. Found the name funny by then =) I bought one to offer my dearest half...

By the way, do I have to make a PC sheet already, or can I wait until the waiting list rotates?

If you wish to make a sheet, feel free. Keep in mind that you may not actually get to play him, if you don't get rotated into play.
There's no guarantee that PCs will die or retire- it's just a possibility.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

I have send Ewan a Fillable PDF character sheet . You can ask Ewan to send you a blank sheet . So it is easy for a DM to know what a character can do and to make or play that character for short periods of time as needed . Also to roll saves that a player would not know to have his or her character would have to make . Like poison saves and such that don't have have an effect if saved against but the player would affect him other wise if failed against .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Lord Skybolt wrote:I have send Ewan a Fillable PDF character sheet . You can ask Ewan to send you a blank sheet . So it is easy for a DM to know what a character can do and to make or play that character for short periods of time as needed . Also to roll saves that a player would not know to have his or her character would have to make . Like poison saves and such that don't have have an effect if saved against but the player would affect him other wise if failed against .

Hey Lord Skybolt they now have a Pathfinder Char Generator!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Thanks Ewan,

I'll delay my sheet until needed then, or until i get a good feel for the game. I'm eagerly waiting for it to unfold. I'll see what kind of characters people will play and how. If I get lucky enough to enter the game, I'll do a char then.

Do you accept any 3.5 book? I may be re-using a concept I used from one of Tarlyn's campaign, and that would require things from the Complete xxx series.