Real life fear/horror/madness

Books, movies, television and everything else
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Real life fear/horror/madness

Post by Zettaijin »

Zilfer wrote:Culturely ignorant here but i'm going to guess that means chinese women want to come over to america? no?
In poorer areas of the world or simply those where war, social issues, or corruption mean that individuals have a significantly less palatable life, it isn't completely uncommon for families to send off their children (mostly girls) to "wealthy" foreigners living in relatively stable Nation States for purposes of marriage.

Although Cambodian friends talked about some rather seedy practices (then again, they did prevent Gary Glitter from coming in, so maybe it's not as bad as they said...), in most cases it's more "Did you meet my nice, attractive, low maintenance and completely UNMARRIED daughter? By the way, didn't you say you were single?"

The idea is that the daughter can funnel money back home taking advantage of the varying values of currency or even use their marriage as a means of getting family members into the her country of adoption.

A friend of mine worked in southern China for about 5 years and had families showing him incredible hospitality, but always ending with a "By the way, let me introduce you to my daughter... you have much in common..."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

That's the cold hard financial side of it, but there are also compelling social and emotional reasons why a person from the developing world (of either gender) might want to marry somebody from the developed world.

1. Gender equality. Take, for example, a US man who believes women should not get to vote. By US standards, he's a dinosaur, a throwback, a chauvinist of historical proportions. But transpose that viewpoint to China, where nobody (of either gender) gets to vote. Suddenly he doesn't seem so bad. Given that even less sanguine forms of gender discrimination are still very much alive and well in parts of developing nations, a "sexist" first-world citizen may seem by comparison to be a paragon of equal treatment in the third world.

2. Legal protections. In China, domestic violence is forbidden and divorces should include financial support for the less-qualified party (most usually the wife, owing to historical underemployment of women). However, the actual enforcement of these laws is patchy at best, and it's not unheard-of for a husband to have an affair, move all of his bank accounts elsewhere, and then divorce his hapless wife. The wife now typically has no resources to her name, and often loses control of the child as well. In the West, civil rule of law is strong enough that such blatant disregard for a court judgment would be quickly punished.

3. Personal freedoms. Of course, America is just as prone to mainstream or majority-mentality cultural rules as any other nation. But the West generally affords far greater personal liberties than traditional Confucianist countries, where each individual identified more with their family, their village, their company, and their nation. If you don't fit in in America, you might get awkwardness with the neighbors. In developing nations, you might get family vendettas that result in violence. China also has a one-child policy intended to reduce its population growth, but this translates to a lopsided family structure where four grandparents and two parents have only one child to care for (and in future to support them - a huge problem in a nation where social security or retirement savings support institutions are still nascent). As my anecdotes of Adventures with SmallMom point out, in America a Chinese-born woman can have two sons to tease and torment for decades instead of just the one.

On a serious note, my current law practice's most lucrative source of income is from immigrants seeking to come to the US by investing money in US businesses - the "EB-5" program. This requires a minimum investment of half a million USD (and more often is a full million) and they have no guarantee of recouping that money. Yet they're willing to sink those funds in for a quick green card and a two-year process for full permanent resident status. It's also worth noting that the vast majority of these applications are coming from China. Apparently, in China, it's easy enough to make a million USD to your name... but finding somewhere safe to store it - for your retirement, for your parents' support in their old age, for your kid's college education - that's the hard part. With a weak rule of law and a government that can arbitrarily take away everything you own at any moment, the Chinese millionaires are fleeing their nation in droves to find a more secure society for their wealth and their families.

From anecdotal evidence, apparently they also have a cultural mandate to find the next Chosen One, Grey Warden, Vault Dweller, or Revolutionary Son of the East who is of unclear but crucial importance to their society. Current evidence suggests this may be a hapless junior associate of US birth and Chinese descent, whose rectitude and probity must be repeatedly tested by diverse parties, with the ceremonial question and response examination of the Five Auspicious Heavenly Inquiries:
  • What is thy relationship status?
  • Be thine orientation true as the arrow's flight, or recurved as the bow's tempering?
  • What is thine Chinese zodiac animal?
  • Verily, hang on one second. Be that as it may, then what is thine age?
  • Duly noted, and solemnly so. Hast thou any younger brothers and be they striking of visage, noble of comport, true in both thought and deed, and single moreover?
Junior associate's face:
VIEW CONTENT:
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

lol, should make your life into a TV show. xD That'd be one of the running gags on the show. :P
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Adventures with lesbians

Aze and HMB are male, and both are straight. (Although HMB's orientation at any given time depends on his proximity to Johnny Depp.)

Nadia and Lyra are female, and are in a dating relationship with each other. They are predominantly gay. (Although both their orientations at any given time also depend on their proximity to Johnny Depp.)

1. Packaging and presentation are important

Aze likes Nadia. Nadia does not like boys. Nadia is dating Lyra. This results in a standoff for a few months.

HMB is introduced and GMs a few adventures. At one party, HMB arrives dressed as a woman.
HMB: Hello ladies.

Nadia and Lyra: OMG! CUTE CHICK! *MAKEOUTMAKEOUTMAKEOUT!*

Aze: Dammit Bing I hate you so much.
(Update 20130713 - Things have significantly progressed with Nadia and Lyra in comic but inevitable form.)
Last edited by HuManBing on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Adventures with lesbians

2. Frock

Nadia, who is a lesbian, needs to meet with formal relations who are unaware of her orientation. HMB is drafted to be her frock (a male companion to serve as a fake boyfriend). At one point, the phrase "you're such a cute couple - let me get a shot of you two sharing a kiss" is uttered.

The resulting photograph has an oddly "deer-in-the-headlights" expression for both participants.

We could just put it down to HMB not shaving thoroughly.
Aze: Dammit Bing I hate you so much.
Last edited by HuManBing on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Adventures with lesbians

3. In your dreams!

Lyra dreamed that she and Nadia were engaged in a vicious competition for HMB's affections. In the final determination, HMB apparently told her that he liked her more, but Nadia was closer to him in age and thus he was going with her instead.

Lyra woke up faintly morose and apparently actually punched Nadia on the shoulder.

Nadia was displeased about the punch but was smugly satisfied with the outcome of the dream.
Aze (upon hearing that women have wild dreams wherein HMB turns them down): Dammit Bing I hate you so much.

Further addendum:

HMB's general emotional state throughout all this is best described as "distracted". What could possibly be on his mind?
VIEW CONTENT:
Johnny Depp Benny and Joon.jpg
Johnny Depp Benny and Joon.jpg (72.16 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Last edited by HuManBing on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

My brother took me to a party. As usual, we are the only Asians at the party.

I'm sipping a beer when a good looking young female ambles by and chats casually.

The first part of her body I look at (apart from making eye contact, which is just a simple human courtesy) is her ring finger, which is incidentally unadorned - although that little detail goes by quickly and is ultimately irrelevant to the story.

I catch myself.

"Bing," I chuckle to myself, "welcome to the next Age of Man. The age where you look at women's ring fingers before anything else..."

It turns out she was 16. So, when I was her age, she was not yet born.

Incidentally I will mention that, as an Asian, I have extreme difficulty telling the apparent age of white people.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

In Darkon the barons can't agree on how to solve their "fiscal rift" problems. Apparently even Azalin's been forced to drastic measures to raise funds. Check out this recent sighting in a thrift store:

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

HuManBing wrote:My brother took me to a party. As usual, we are the only Asians at the party.

I'm sipping a beer when a good looking young female ambles by and chats casually.

The first part of her body I look at (apart from making eye contact, which is just a simple human courtesy) is her ring finger, which is incidentally unadorned - although that little detail goes by quickly and is ultimately irrelevant to the story.

I catch myself.

"Bing," I chuckle to myself, "welcome to the next Age of Man. The age where you look at women's ring fingers before anything else..."

It turns out she was 16. So, when I was her age, she was not yet born.

Incidentally I will mention that, as an Asian, I have extreme difficulty telling the apparent age of white people.

I think that works both ways bing! xD

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I hate security questions. I don't mind setting up a username and password, but security questions are ridiculous. They have stupid things like "What's your favorite food?" or "What's your favorite city?".

WHO THE HELL KNOWS IN TWO YEARS' TIME??? In 2009 I loved soft shelled crabs. In 2013 I love creme brulee. How is 2013 me supposed to know that the account was set up by 2009 me and shares his love of deep fried crustaceans?

I called up customer support and they asked me to set my answer, of what my favorite food was.

I said "Since I can't answer honestly, I'll answer facetiously and at least specify an answer that I'll remember."

The answer I gave for "favorite food" was Spotted Dick.

This appears to have thrown them somewhat.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I recently bought an upright piano. I have spent much of the weekend revisiting old pieces from my past: Chopin, Beethoven, Brahms - even Michael Nyman and Freddie Mercury.

It's a strangely eerie feeling, like I am getting acquainted with old friends from my childhood. The fingers are stiff and the notes don't come as readily as they once did, but I'm finding the old familiar pathways again.

I have also begun dreaming in music again, which hasn't happened in years. I hope this comes to stay with me permanently, drowsing off to sleep with symphonies. It would be nice to pass away as an old man to the accompaniment of a bespoke musical score.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:I have also begun dreaming in music again, which hasn't happened in years. I hope this comes to stay with me permanently, drowsing off to sleep with symphonies. It would be nice to pass away as an old man to the accompaniment of a bespoke musical score.
You call that horror? I've been dreaming in music lately too, but it's been the songs of Sofia the First. Now that's horror. Ezra save me from my children and their third-rate Disney shows....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I have one of those electric keyboards, well actually it's my girlfriend who never uses it but anyways. I learned how to do a silent hill song because i really wanted to learn how to play it. So I managed to eventually find one i could play if I got enough practice!!!

Promise Reprise - Akira Yamaoka

Short Song but I'm just happy to be able to play ANYTHING on the piano since i never grew up musical and lesson's are probably expensive. xD

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

ATTENTION CANADIANS

I understand the attraction of Tim Hortons and poutine. I can see how they might appeal to a significant dining demographic and thus become a nationwide thing.

But I recently went into a Swiss Chalet and foolishly accepted a serving of their "Swiss Chalet special sauce".

I now want to know if anybody in Canada enjoys that sauce and please to explain exactly what it is that is appealing to you.

I'd like to know if I'm just missing out on some essential taste buds through some odd biological mutation, or whether anybody else agrees with me that the Swiss Chalet special sauce tastes like a mixture of sweet and sour sauce with antibacterial hand soap.

(In the event that more than one Canadian can provide insight, please form an orderly queue. Eh?)
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

It's just brown sauce, which I find unpalatable. Yet, it's been around longer than I have and will probably still be around after I die.