Mists over the Musarde, Chapter 8

Online roleplaying at the Café
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

While Franz is coming to Alain searches the rest of the room .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Whu?" Franz first reaction is to punch his slapper, but holds back when he realizes it is Alain. "What was dot ting?" He stands then looks around. HE sees the dead cat then Munchen and realizes what happened. "Good boy, Munchen."

"Deiner door was open when I came here so I locked as I fount the door be unlocked. I came inside unt lookt around. Didn't find her but Munchen found de vood panel unt I came to investigate and de cat attacked me, makink me fall down deiner stairs. I am no rogue after all."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Franz and Alain-

The sunrod has died, but you still have the light from Alain's coin.

Alain's search turns up no traps. He does find a locked chest under the black drape on the couch. Whatever it contains must be heavy, as it would take at least two men to carry it.

Alain's methodical search is interrupted by a noise from the top of the stairs, a hollow thump.

If you look up, you'll see that the secret panel has swung open! No one is there...

Munchen waddles to the base of the stairs and begins to bark very loudly at the empty air.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn, Dorgio, Karim, Dofur, etc- at the rendezvous

From your position in the meadow, you see strange little lights in the night-sky, drifting above the treetops.

Wat remarks-

''Not fireflies- they don't move like that.''

The lights have passed over the nearest forest, and are moving away from you, sailing high over the fields and marshes south of Hroth.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Franz doesn't see anything but trusts in his dog's senses more than his own.

He unsheathes his dagger and thinks a moment. He also grabs another sunrod and cracks it open.

"Alain what do you make of dis?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Franz doesn't see anything but trusts in his dog's senses more than his own.

He unsheathes his dagger and thinks a moment. He also grabs another sunrod and cracks it open.
Even with the improved light, you see no one at the top of the stairs.

Munchen ceases barking. The dog cautiously mounts the stairs, walks up part of the way, and stops. He growls a little, then walks all the way and through the panel.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Franz follows Munchen, alert.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

He squints at the lights, then breathes a sigh of relief when he sees that the lights are moving away from them.

"Benn, are you ever seeing anything like that?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Franz, back room of Tileara's shop
tarlyn wrote:Franz follows Munchen, alert.

Up the stairs, in the back room, you immediately notice two things:

The back door is open, swinging in the night-breeze.

A vaguely humanoid figure lays on the floor of the room, covered with a burgundy velvet curtain.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Alain, come see dis, I tink it is Tileara, mein freund." Franz fears the worst as he approaches the inert form under the red velvet. Sighing he first pokes the form with his toe, to be safe. He gauges Munchen's reaction to the form as well.
Last edited by steveflam on Sun May 09, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Poking the shape produces no effect. Whatever it is, and it looks like it might be a person, it doesn't move.

Munchen sniffs around the edge of the curtain.

Your own nose isn't as keen as the dog's, but you do detect a trace of floral perfume hanging in the air of the room.

Alain hangs back, watching in silence.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun May 09, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Franz seems to remember the same fragrance from that bizarre masked man.

He bends down and removes the red cloth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Franz seems to remember the same fragrance from that bizarre masked man.

He bends down and removes the red cloth.

Pulling aside the heavy curtain, you see what lies beneath:
The elf-maid’s honey-blonde hair is a tangled mess. Her lovely mouth is contorted in a silent scream. Tileara stares up at the ceiling with eyes like blue-and-white marbles, glassy and lifeless. Her black robe is torn, but her slender, delicate body appears undamaged except for a pair of curious wounds:
Someone or something has cleanly sliced away the soles of her feet!

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Oh mein Gott!," the soldier exclaims. "I haff seen atrocities in mein life, but never something as bizarre unt cruel as dis. Alain, why would someone do dis? Dis ist cruel unt disgusting unt unreal. I tink we need to get out of here before we are discovered. Get back to Benn unt deiner others unt I to the rebels. Sheisse!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Franz-

Alain, perhaps mindful of your party's recent experiences with Sithican law-enforcement, is already out the back door by the time you finish speaking.

You make it to the gate, retrieve your weapons, and say quick farewells on the road outside town.
Accompanied by your faithful dog, you walk swiftly down the old dirt road, leaving Hroth behind.

END OF CHAPTER EIGHT