Changelings Part II: A Holiday In The Sun

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Changelings Part II: A Holiday In The Sun

Post by kintire »

The ale in the inn is adequate, and Gorn finds a serving girl happy to spend time with him if he flashes some silver around. Rupert seems busy laughing uproariously at tent practice. You notice other of his men drinking and eating: they don't appear to be paying.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Having followed Saradon to the inn to meet the others, Helfried looks over the inn with calculating eyes. It was obvious this professor was a brash fool with little in his superior knowledge than the precise value of his own self worth, but Helfried and the others had agreed to joining this expedition just the same.
"Perhaps we should ask around the locals to see what may be known about the place we are heading. True that it may be ten days away but rumor travells far and with great speed."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon looks at the Falkovnian soldier and purses his lips.
M:"I'm not sure we want to know the rumors. They avoid the place considering it cursed so I doupt the stories will be nice. False rumors may lead us to false conclusions and fatal mistakes.
On the other hand, it's not that we're prepared for much anyway, so perhaps we should ask and take what they say with a grain of salt."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Grain of salt or no, there is something to be learned from rumor. Yes, much of it is useless and some an outright lie."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine nods in agreement .

"Indeed better know the rumors and be prepared for the worse scenario than go there totally unprepared and having no idea what we might encounter."

Turning to Seradon she asks:

"Seradon, you speak many languages right? Do you happen to know their language as well?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

M: "I'm afraid I don't speak the native language, but I wouldn't be suprised if we find a wench that speaks our language. Gorn didn't have problems to find company for the night after all, which makes me believe that they see customers from Paridon or the Western Core often enough to feel comfortable with us."
Making a short pause to make sure Gorn is out of earshot and busy in his drink or wench, Seradon continues "However keep in mind that as evident these women don't seem to have problem associating with calibans. I would keep an eye on my pouch if I was to speak with such a woman; they seem to care about nothing else."

It is evident by Seradon's tone that he considers an establishment that even caliban patrons can find company for the night a bad place. He also doesn't seem to touch wine, water or food from the inn and he seems to be careful to not touch tables or surfaces of this place with his bare hands as if he's afraid he may catch something bad.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"You have a point Seradon. I will order something to eat and when the maid comes with the order we can ask our questions."

Catherine looks around and when she spots a maid smiles and waves at her. When the maid comes closer she speaks slowly hoping the woman can understand her.

"Hello, can we have something to eat?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The young woman looks nervous of her and nods hastily, dashing back into the rear of the place. She emerges a few minutes later with a large bowl of steaming stew, meat not readily identifiable in the thick spicy sauces, and a jug of thin ale.

"Food, ale, mistress, more if you wish it"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Thank you very much"

Catherine puts her hand at the pocked of her cloak and gets out a silver piece that hands to the maid.

"If I may ask, have you ever heard any legends or tales about an ancient city that is like 10 days from here? Right now there are just ruins there, but I would appreciate any info you can give me about that place."
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The young woman looks astonished as Catherine gives her the silver: none of the other members of the expedition seem to be paying for anything except Gorn.

"Uh, yes ma'am, the ruins, ma'am. The haze drew back ma'am about ten years ago and there they were. A great city, they say, and a dry river. But no one who goes in at night comes out again, and the ones who went into the cellars came out mad. No one goes there now."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"What happened to the city and those that lived there? Why is it ruined? And those that came out of the cellars and are mad do you know where we can find them?"
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"Who knows? And the madmen died in the desert. The wanderers cannot afford such burdens."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

M: Seradon stood up from his perch. "I'll see what the professor knows about who lived there" he says and moves outside to speak with the professor or his entourage.

He informs him that the local primitives don't know who ever populated that city and asks him if he has any idea about it. He would also inform him that he has a bit of knowledge of architecture used from various cultures and races but he has never been in Pharazia. He would also mention that the primitive woman was suprised to see silver and asks if they have developed to the point of currency or they still trade in barter.
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The Professor listens with some interest, but has little to tell.

"Well, my dear fellow, these ruins have never been examined before. No surprises that the local primitives know nothing, but in this case I am afraid academia is in little better state. We can assume it was a similar culture to the rest of Pharazia, but that's only a guess. We won't know until we get there! And I'm afraid I don't know much about the modern natives. I believe the city folk have a cash economy... but all that side of thing is with Rupert"

Seradon observes that the villagers do seem to know what coin is for. However, the expedition has almost as many men in it as the village does, and they are well armed and equipped. Rupert and his men seem to be taking what they like and offering no payment, and most of the scholars seem to be following their lead. The villagers seem too intimidated to protest.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon walks to Rupert and addresses him "Rupert, why are we essentially looting this place? These people seem to need some recompensation for what we're taking from them; they're not rich. Aside from the fact that taking without paying just because we're better armed is wrong, I believe we better leave the villagers with a friendly disposition.
If the city dwelers or the nomads are allied with this village drop by, a friendly disposition may be our shield from 40 bandits that sent our way to take what they want. A few silver here and there would go a long way in my opinion in helping the villagers "forget" where the "rich people" were heading too."
My DMGuild work!