Mists over the Musarde , Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

One of the lumbermen remarks-

''By the Powers- look at these claw-marks on the wood!''

Anyone examining the mutilated tree-limb will quickly notice the marks: multiple sets of deep parallel gouges, which do indeed look like the scratchings of some great beast.

Although the party diligently scans the woods for several minutes, no one spots any wolf-demons- or whatever other terrors might be lurking in the primeval forest.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio shakes his head in frustration. "Standing here will not be making any of us safe. We should be moving on. But be wary."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

FRanz does in fact inspect the scratches carefully, unsure of what he is looking for. He tries to imagine how big these claws would have to be to do this type of damage on a tree of this size. Speaking in Sithican to Galandel, he asks <"Galandel, what kind of beast do you know of that might have caused this damage? It may be better to know if we have to be prepared against it.">

OOC, I figure Franz speaks without an accent in other tongues, so that is why he is speaking normally here. From now that will be the case ;)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

tarlyn wrote:FRanz does in fact inspect the scratches carefully, unsure of what he is looking for. He tries to imagine how big these claws would have to be to do this type of damage on a tree of this size. Speaking in Sithican to Galandel, he asks <"Galandel, what kind of beast do you know of that might have caused this damage? It may be better to know if we have to be prepared against it.">

OOC, I figure Franz speaks without an accent in other tongues, so that is why he is speaking normally here. From now that will be the case ;)
Galandel doesn't really move from his position facing the tree line where he heard the growls coming, he looks at the tree limb from the corner of his eye.

In Sithican he responds to Franz question <"I can not be certain, woodlands and forests can be home to many of large creatures. I would only be able to tell you about such beasts from my homeland."> he pauses for a moment and releases the tension in his bow string.

Galandel moves over to the tree and examines the gouges more closely. Allowing his eyes and sense of touch to tell him more about the marks, he also listens to his surroundings to see if he can hear anything unusual around the group.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Wasted on cross-country, but very dangerous on short distances,
Dofur strengthens his grip around his warhammer and assumes a defensive stance.

"Mine stedde, is it lost?"- He addresses Diorgio.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The lumbermen make no move to enter the forest or advance any further down the narrow trail. Neither do they retreat towards camp. They clutch their axes in white-knuckled fists and nervously watch the trees.

Dofur's mule has gone. There is no sign of it, as if the forest has gobbled it up.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

After examining the limb, Galandel looks to around at every one.

" These marks were made by some large beast, but what I don't know." he explains to everyone.

Looking at the surrounding forest edge " I think it is safe to continue on, but I think moving with caution is for the best." he says.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I think it's likely lost, Dofur," Benn says ruefully.

He stands up and starts cautiously edging down the road again.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Karim ties the bow again at his back and says:

"Ι agree, better move till the sun is still up."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Moving down the thin game-trail- calling it a 'road' would be a gross exaggeration- the party soon moves well out of sight of the broken limb's impact.

Now the tall trees overhead actually intertwine their branches over the trail, creating a shadow-filled gallery through which your party passes. Toadstools sprout from the corpses of fallen trees, and sickly yellow ivy creeps up the titan trunks of the great trees that fence you in on either side. The trail is even narrower here, and in several places it nearly disappears beneath drifts of fallen leaves or moldering piles of dead brush.

Baelmus now veers off the game trail, nose to the ground. The wolf is moving west.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio carefully picks his way through the brush, somehow managing to stifle curses as thorns and brambles find tiny gaps in his banded armor. When the wolf goes off the trail Dorgio frowns, but follows. He never thought he'd miss the stinking streets of Pont-a-Museau as much as he does now.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Adam wrote:"I think it's likely lost, Dofur," Benn says ruefully.

He stands up and starts cautiously edging down the road again.
Dofur will shake his head in sadness, and then walk a few steps in the direction the mule went.

Then, the head hanging, he will walk behind the others, silently grieving for his trusted companion.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Following the wolf off the trail, your party passes through a tangle of briars, the thorny hands of which snag your clothing, ripping cloaks from the backs of several of your party. After the briar-patch comes a stretch of low, boggy ground. Cold mud hungrily sucks at your footgear; Jon's shoes actually come right off his feet, at one point. The warmth of the day is declining and a chill fog rises from the moist earth at your feet. Patches of gray sky can be seen through the tree-tops, but the sun is hidden. The shadows blur and deepen as you travel, as if night were coming on sooner than you might have expected.

Up ahead; perhaps a dozen paces through dead brush, fallen trees and jumbles of reddish-brown stone; a little dark stream cuts across the forest floor. The banks are narrow and steep, sunken perhaps four feet into the earth.

A low, muffled groan rises from the direction of the creek. It sounds once more, seeming to come from a particular spot on the far bank- a shadowy crevice or nook. The crevice opening is partially obscured by sickly yellow-green plants clinging to the bank, so that the exact dimensions of the hollow may not be determined without a much closer approach.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"I heard a groan from up head !! Perhaps it's the priest we must hurry to help him if it is him . " Urging the others on as Alain hears the groan up ahead . Walking along with Wat to guide him .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Karim unsheathes his scimitars so he will be ready in case of encounter and tries to listen what heard Alain. The muffled groaning sound does indeed seem to be coming from the riverbank crevice/cave.

"Lets go, it might be human groan or it could be something else. But definitely we need to check it."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!