Curse of the Witch-King OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of the Witch-King OOC

Post by ewancummins »

Undead have initiative and Kat will require a double round action in the first round if she wants to get involved, so I can run the enemy actions for ROUND TWO, as well as Klokulf's declared action of setting some of the undead on others (or trying to do so) and Alain's ring of slicer-dicers. It will then by Kat's turn if Kintire wants to jump in.

Sound good?

Slam attacks on Fala.
She doesn't start the round prone but she is flanked. No rear attack. That 5 step and chopping one down improved her position somewhat.

plus 4 on each versus AC21, some with flanking bonus
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Only one hit

plus 4

6 more points, in addition to the whomping of 35 points she took when she was knocked down and slammed/stamped hard that first round.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The ones nearest Klokulf are rebuked and won't attack him.

The ones nearest Alain are all ashes and charred bone now.
Otehrs will burn a move to get close and attack.

There are only eight left that are not rebuked or 'killed.' This includes the three ganged up on Fala.

They move at 40. Quick guys.

Not a full attack, but they can melee.

Two get to Klokulf and three to Alain.

vs Klokulf melee

1 slam each

vs Alain melee

1 slam each

plus 4 to all, flanking bonuses for some

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Pathetic, except that 18,. But Alain has a great AC, so I'd better check...

It hits, barely.

0 +4

5 points to Alain. A scratch or buffeting in the D&D abstract hp system.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:I don't know were all the Zombies are exactly so don't know if I can Fireball a chunk of them or should put up defensive spell like Fireshield
so if they do attack him they take lots of damage any time they actual hit him in combat . Then next spell he will do is Ring of Blades so if they surround
him they take magic/silvered/slashing damage on his turn if they in 5 foot radius of him . They spell will hurt friend and foe so he will cast it so no party members
are that close to him .

Lord Skybolt, he's doing Ring of Blades now, yes?

He was just struck, though only for 5 hp. DC 15 Concentration check

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

If he does get the spell off, it will affect all three that are attacking him, of course.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:turning damage

244795:1 plus 12

times 1.5

round up to 35

effect: about half of the horde of dead men rebuked
Are any of the undead under 2 HD? Next round, I would send any commanded ones against the other half of the horde.

The rules say if you have twice as many levels or more as HD you can command. So, yeah, he can send the ones he rebuked/commanded against the others.
Assume last round spent in maneuver. Now they fall on their fellows.

SLAM CITY

It's a lot of rolling.
I will do it in blocks of five

15 controlled

+ 4 on all

3 +20

divided between the two attacking Klokulf

Result= messy

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Unless LordSkybolt wants to do something else, CON check for that spell

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Oooh, they disrupted it.

That leaves Fala. She's raging, so I
d better keep a close eye on those bonuses.

Six baddies left, three on her and three on Alain.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Full attack, FALA, (unless LS wants an edit)

plus

plus

offhand plus 10

Hits all three times.

Damage down below.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

UPDATE/SUMMARY OF FIRST PART OF COMBAT (SURPRISE ROUND, ROUNDS 1 AND 2 BUT NOT KAT'S POSSIBLE ACTIONS)

Of over thirty undead creatures, all but five have been controlled or 'killed.'

Alain and Klokulf only scratched but Fala knocked about harder (not that she feels it in her rage)

The five still posing a threat are attacking Alain and Fala.

Kat may act if Kintire wishes, and can be on scene. Or not, as the player likes. Reviewing her post--the bit about going to warn the others-- I have assumed she is now in the back of the house/on teh back stairs and can attack, retreat, or do whatever she likes. Kintire, please let me know if this fits your intent.

I will post an IC soon.

This fight takes place outside, close to the house (Lord Skybolt suggested Alain would have wanted to lay the bodies out in the yard, not the house, for more air, light, and space. That makes perfect sense.)
The fireball did not set the house on fire, but it has burned some grass.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

/2 +5 =7

/2 +5 =8

/2 +5 =6

Fala chopped one down and damaged another. That seems fair, given that multiple ones are on her, attacking from adjacent squares.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TACTICAL NOTE

We are playing gridless. The system assumes a grid. I want to be fair about tactics in a nasty surprise attack situation like this.

Therefore, I will allow Lord Skybolt and Wolfgide to decide where their guys are currently positioned on the map. Klokulf and Alain were not overwhelmed as Fala was.
Your guys are smarter than these things, quick and dangerous as they are. If you see a tactical advantage, feel free to take it.

Do you want your group spread out? Bunched up? Moving toward the house? Away from it?

Totally up to you.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Actually, I rechecked the turning rules, and I think Klokulf can only control two of them.
At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level.
Of course, counting the time under the Grim Bastion, this isn't the first time this rule was overlooked.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Actually, I rechecked the turning rules, and I think Klokulf can only control two of them.
At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level.
Of course, counting the time under the Grim Bastion, this isn't the first time this rule was overlooked.

Right you are.

Ooops!

I will edit in this fashion:

The ones he didn't control would have kept moving, and taken damage from Alain's fireball. They are roasty toasty now.