Break the World: A Contest

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

DeepShadow wrote:So, assuming that those who responded are about half of those who actually submitted, we're still looking at less than a dozen entries. :( If everyone put their hearts into this, it should still be a great race. 8) May the best idea win...so that Ravenloft may lose!
For this kind of "scenario" contest, it's indeed not the number, but the quality that matters :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:I wonder if the Fraternity will ever declare a winner of the fan fiction contest for April.
I made a couple moderater posts about this, but we've apparently had some trouble renaming the forum.

In other news I've recieved quite a few submissions and posted them on the super-secret Fraternity-only board and we're voting on them. But even if we do settle on just one winner we'll probably steal ideas from a few submissions.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
DeepShadow wrote:So, assuming that those who responded are about half of those who actually submitted, we're still looking at less than a dozen entries. :( If everyone put their hearts into this, it should still be a great race. 8) May the best idea win...so that Ravenloft may lose!
For this kind of "scenario" contest, it's indeed not the number, but the quality that matters :)

Joël
As it ought to be. 8)
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Will all the entries be posted somewhere for us to read after the contest? I'd like to read them.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Manofevil wrote:Will all the entries be posted somewhere for us to read after the contest? I'd like to read them.
Sure, good idea. But that will have to be after the release of the adventure by David. But it will be worth the wait!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Jester of the FoS wrote:But even if we do settle on just one winner we'll probably steal ideas from a few submissions.
I think that's the best way to do it anyway. Everyone has something cool and evil running about in their heads, and taking bits and pieces from everyone's ideas should be able to make something much stronger than any individual person's idea, no matter how cool that individual idea is.

Feel free to slice mine up for bits and pieces to add to others' stories, or if the stars align oddly and I somehow end up being the winner, feel free to add/subtract from my overall framework!
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Yes, to echo Lord Cyclo...

Feel free trim my stuff too, steal, adapt, etc!

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

So. Who won? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Ah, so it's taking longer than expected to come up with a winner... Good, good, as that means the entries must be better than expected.

I can't wait to hear the teaser description for the adventure plot... Especially since I now finally know what one of my writer friends was talking about, where you write something so good that you don't *care* if you lose because it means the person who whupped you had written something so tantalizing that you can't even feel bad for yourself because you want to see the other person's idea so much...

This is going to be a great adventure. :twisted:
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:Ah, so it's taking longer than expected to come up with a winner... Good, good, as that means the entries must be better than expected.

I can't wait to hear the teaser description for the adventure plot... Especially since I now finally know what one of my writer friends was talking about, where you write something so good that you don't *care* if you lose because it means the person who whupped you had written something so tantalizing that you can't even feel bad for yourself because you want to see the other person's idea so much...

This is going to be a great adventure. :twisted:
Exactly! I'm torn between dancing because it's got to be good, and screaming because I want to see it already!

As far as I'm concerned, we're all winners already.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

We're still missing a couple of votes, but so far it's looking like the adventure will be a combination of scenario 1 with scenario 3, or maybe scenario 3 with scenario 1. :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sweet!

Wait...1 and 3...MY 1 and 3?! The first and third parts of my trilogy of hooks?

If that's what you mean, I'm pleased...and shocked. I thought for sure you'd drop both of those in favor of my second one, if I won.

Please clarify what 1 and 3 refer to. I'm a little confused and anxious right now...
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!!!

No, I mean "submissions #1 and #3".
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!!!

No, I mean "submissions #1 and #3".
Oh, that's cool! We'll have two winners!

Take your time. Don't be distracted by the sounds of ravenous undead clawing and scratching their way into your sanctuary, desperate for a hint of who those two winners are. Yea, a few of them can bite through steel, but you go ahead and take your time...
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

I am really curious about who will win this... And to hear about the adventure itself!

(And no, I have no hope whatever I wrote will make it into an adventure. :) )

Any idea what kind of delay we're talking about here? For the reveal and the adventure?
Not that I'm rushing anybody!
I'm just excited!

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com