Silly RL names

Discussing all things Ravenloft
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

Dude. Now I want to cast Will Smith as Urik von Kharkov.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

InVinoVeritas wrote:Dude. Now I want to cast Will Smith as Urik von Kharkov.
He'd probably be better than we think, but I suspect a lot of folks around here would, if polled, vote up Tony Todd.
Lucien Doomdark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lucien Doomdark »

Brandi wrote:
InVinoVeritas wrote:Dude. Now I want to cast Will Smith as Urik von Kharkov.
He'd probably be better than we think, but I suspect a lot of folks around here would, if polled, vote up Tony Todd.
At the risk of horrific dismemberment, Eddie Murphy wasn't awful in Vampire in Brooklyn?
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by EO »

Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

EO wrote:From the old Kargatane site:

http://web.archive.org/web/200012130311 ... nings.html
Thank you, EO. I can' t believe I'd forgotten Sanguinia. Sanguinia! Gee, I think there could a vampire or two in that domain.

I'm definitley going to have to change a few of these names, as I have one player who speaks French and another who speaks German. Maybe Strahdsbuddy is right and I should just get dumb players who only speak English. :lol:
Formerly known as SpiritCaller.
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

SpiritCaller wrote:
EO wrote:From the old Kargatane site:

http://web.archive.org/web/200012130311 ... nings.html
Thank you, EO. I can' t believe I'd forgotten Sanguinia. Sanguinia! Gee, I think there could a vampire or two in that domain.

I'm definitley going to have to change a few of these names, as I have one player who speaks French and another who speaks German. Maybe Strahdsbuddy is right and I should just get dumb players who only speak English. :lol:
You can also just make everyone and everything have bad names. If you're fighting for the greater glory of the truly angelic St. Todblut, then Dr. Mordenheim might be a swell fellow.
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

InVinoVeritas wrote:You can also just make everyone and everything have bad names. If you're fighting for the greater glory of the truly angelic St. Todblut, then Dr. Mordenheim might be a swell fellow.
This sounds easier...

Send the PCs to the town of Bloodwaters or Dead Man's Flats... and have them face shadow fey or constructs or an evil cult or whathaveyou. Throw 'em off the trail of thematic naming... then when themeatic naming does pop up, they don't catch on right away :P
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

As for Ghastria, I actually found a real world Ghastria / Gastria Castle ... although that Ghastria isn't derived from "gastric" but from "castria" meaning "castle"...

But as for cool / silly names, I still think Strahdsbuddy wins it: his (purposeful?) misspelling of Pennsylvania to make "Pennsylavnia" always gets read aloud in my head using Bela Lugosi's voice...
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Ail wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Note that the captain's name is "Stewart" and the first mate has pointy ears (a "cold and calculating" half-elf named Mr. Monterey)
Sorry, I'm still missing the connection. :-(
Rearrange the letters in Sunset Empires, and you almost get USS Enterprise. (You just need to change the m to a 2nd R.) And the captain of one USS Enterprise was played by Patrick Stewart. The first mate of another USS Enterprise was a "cold and calculating" alien with pointy ears named Mr. Spock (in Spock's case, Kirk referred to a lot of the others as Mr. ____ as well, but in pop culture, it only really sticks on Mr. Spock, I think. And Monterey is the only person on the SE crew to be called Mr. anything.) I looked in the book last night and didn't see any other obvious references (and I've been a pretty hard-core trekkie at times in my life, so I'd probably spot them.) But I'm pretty convinced those three are deliberate homages.
I agree. I remember spotting it right away only because the first time I read/scanned through the adventure, my eyes read it as Sunset "Enterprise." Then I reread the name and realized it was a near-anagram. Then there are the descriptions of the captain and first officer (as Gonzoron pointed out): IIRC, isn't Captain Stewart also bald and Monterey have a thing for flattery?
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:As for Ghastria, I actually found a real world Ghastria / Gastria Castle ... although that Ghastria isn't derived from "gastric" but from "castria" meaning "castle"...

But as for cool / silly names, I still think Strahdsbuddy wins it: his (purposeful?) misspelling of Pennsylvania to make "Pennsylavnia" always gets read aloud in my head using Bela Lugosi's voice...
We could have ended up with an actual US state of Transylvania, had the Transylvania purchase not been invalidated in 1776.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

The clock called Goldfinger in Individa was a goofy one for me. I even changed the name when I ran the Evil Eye just so I could avoid stupid jokes.
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yaoi Huntress Earth wrote:The clock called Goldfinger in Individa was a goofy one for me. I even changed the name when I ran the Evil Eye just so I could avoid stupid jokes.
Absolutely.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

After looking through Dominic d'Honaire's Double Ententes (thanks again for the link, EO), I wrote down some that were about the worst, in my opinion. Since then, one of my players and I have been coming up with new names. Here are a few that we've renamed so far:

Arak: Anachrela

Avonleigh: Myralon

Dementlieu: Belleterre (La République de Belleterre)
We decided that Dementlieu ("mad place"), while it originated as outlined in Gaz 3, was used as a nickname nowadays (sometimes a derogatory one).

ermordenung: assassinare
Ermordernung was not an acceptable name for us with Borca being an Italian-style domain and ermordenung is itself a German word, so I used Google Translate to get the Italian equivalent.

Guignol, Marcel: Guillory, Marcel
Guignol is a ridiculous surname for a Frenchman, so far as I know. But as a nickname for a political figurehead it fits nicely.

Misroi, Anton: Michaud, Anton
Misroi means "evil king"; not a reasonable surname, really. Again, this would be good nickname for those who know of him.

Mordenheim, Victor: Mittgenstein, Johann
I originally chose Wittgenstein, but as Lucien Doomdark noted earlier, it turns out to be the surname of a rather famous German philospher, so I changed the first letter to M for Mordenheim. Mittgenstein just happens to also be a real German surname, though as far I can tell, not of anyone famous.

Sanguinia: Iarnateren
Mircea is a name of Romanian origin, though it's probably also used in a few other countries. Thus, I decided to make this domain a sort of cold post-medieval Romania. Iarnateren translates literally as "winterland". More poetically, the land is also called Terren de iarna a drăgosti, "land of winter's caress". The folk are called iarna de oameni, "winter's people".

Whäl: Miest Bluer
Whäl is found in the Book of Sorrows. As you might guess from its name, its darklord is derived from Captain Ahab. My player and I both decided that it needed renaming. The people of the domain we named the Hălle, after the island's major settlement, St. Hallen.

A few names we plan to leave as-is, such as Chateufaux; there are some places in the real world with odd names that don't immediately make sense like this. On the other hand, there are a few that may annoy others but seemed like a good fit to my player and myself, such as Todstein ("Deathstone") and Nebligtode ("Foggy Deaths"), noted by Chris on page 1 of this thread. But that's just a matter of personal taste. But there are still more that I haven't been able to yet figure out names for.

So, anyone got any suggestions?
Last edited by Nevermorrow on Fri May 15, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

SpiritCaller wrote: ermordenung: assassinare
Ermordernung was not an acceptable name for us with Borca being an Italian-style domain and ermordenung is itself a German word, so I used Google Translate to get the Italian equivalent.
The problem would be that "assassinare" (Italian for "to assassinate") sounds really close to the English one, something that the authors were probably trying to avoid. In Italian I can suggest "uccisore" ("slayer"), or "tagliagole" ("cutthroat") or "sicario" ("killer", properly used for contract killers). It still sounds lame to me, but I suppose the original sounds equally lame for German-speakers :D
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

Sorti wrote:[The problem would be that "assassinare" (Italian for "to assassinate") sounds really close to the English one, something that the authors were probably trying to avoid. In Italian I can suggest "uccisore" ("slayer"), or "tagliagole" ("cutthroat") or "sicario" ("killer", properly used for contract killers). It still sounds lame to me, but I suppose the original sounds equally lame for German-speakers :D
Thanks! This is the sort of thing that I don't know since I don' t speak Italian.