Return from long exile

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Return from long exile

Post by Ail »

Hello everyone,

I have been away from these forums for a long time, a couple of years at least, I don't remember.
But I've been feeling some yearning for Ravenloft and its places. For some surprising reason, I've been missing Souragne, Forlorn, the Vistani and generally reading about this.

Something drew me in tonight, just wanting to take a look. Maybe because it's November, and the sombre skies and trees on the way home from work at night has been evoking deep-seated memories.

I have to ask. What is new since, say, 2012? Are there new rules? New books? Has some sort of new GC happened in the mean time?

And is there any campaign around or in need of a player?
(Mind you, I no longer have my books with me, and I may no longer be proficient with the rules).
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Return from long exile

Post by Epically »

Welcome back.

D&D is currently in 5th ed. Ravenloft essentially died when TSR died. Which happened long before you left lol. And joined lol. The only official Ravenloft products from Wizards is Curse of Strahd. A remake and more fleshed out Barovia then the original. It's pretty amazing though.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Hey, Ail! ^_^
QTR #25 is out, and I'd say Ravenloft isn't dead as long as people are still playing it.
Paizo's Pathfinder-setting, the world of Golarion, has a whole nation inspired by Ravenloft: the dread realm of Ustalav!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hey Ail, wb! :Strahd:
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Epically wrote:D&D is currently in 5th ed. Ravenloft essentially died when TSR died.
Not an Arthaus fan? Some would say Ravenloft didn't truly live (as a cohesive setting) until TSR died.

anyway, welcome back Ail!

As mentioned, D&D is on edition #5, and the only "official" Ravenloft product produced for that edition is Curse of Strahd, which is an expanded and redone version of the original module. It has a few nods to the wider setting, but isn't intended to be part of a a whole Demiplane setting like the old days. BUT WotC did open up their crowdsourced dmsguild.com to Ravenloft, so there are many fan-made 5e Ravenloft adventures there (including some by regulars around here). And there was also a 14-part Adventurer's Guild series called Misty Fortunes and Absent Hearts, which is semi-official.

But since the last time the full setting was published was in 3.5e (by Arthaus, on license from WotC), many of us still play in that edition (or Pathfinder... or 4th, or 2nd... or Savage Worlds... or Dread... or whatever....)

But as long as we fans are around to perform the rituals and keep the corpse twitching, Ravenloft will never be truly dead, will it? Our latest (free) netbook (QTR #25) came out on Halloween, as usual. Lots of great stuff in there from multiple contributors.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Epically wrote:D&D is currently in 5th ed. Ravenloft essentially died when TSR died.
Not an Arthaus fan? Some would say Ravenloft didn't truly live (as a cohesive setting) until TSR died.

anyway, welcome back Ail!

As mentioned, D&D is on edition #5, and the only "official" Ravenloft product produced for that edition is Curse of Strahd, which is an expanded and redone version of the original module. It has a few nods to the wider setting, but isn't intended to be part of a a whole Demiplane setting like the old days. BUT WotC did open up their crowdsourced dmsguild.com to Ravenloft, so there are many fan-made 5e Ravenloft adventures there (including some by regulars around here). And there was also a 14-part Adventurer's Guild series called Misty Fortunes and Absent Hearts, which is semi-official.

But since the last time the full setting was published was in 3.5e (by Arthaus,
on license from WotC), many of us still play in that edition (or Pathfinder... or 4th, or 2nd... or Savage Worlds... or Dread... or whatever....)

But as long as we fans are around to perform the rituals and keep the corpse twitching, Ravenloft will never be truly dead, will it? Our latest (free) netbook (QTR #25) came out on Halloween, as usual. Lots of great stuff in there from multiple contributors.
Hi Ron and Joel, indeed nice to see you back. Everything looks pretty much the same, so it's almost like coming back home.
I see that I wouldn't have trouble playing again, then. I skipped on both 4e and 5th edition, due to, basically, life.

I came here on a lark, to be honest, as a way to satisfy a little thirst for Gothic horror.

P.S.: also, glad to see my once unique Avatar has become popular :mrgreen:
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)