Har'akir and Amber Waste changes

Discussing all things Ravenloft
vyshan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Har'akir and Amber Waste changes

Post by vyshan »

So I love ancient Egypt, however the only representation of Ancient Egypt is Har'akir which is just a tiny village. So I thought I would explain some of my changes I would do to Har'akir.

First thing first is a complete change in darklords. Gone is Anhktepot and now the darklord is Pharaoh Sobekhotep III. Sobekhotep is a pharaoh who has been ruling for decades, to the vast majority of people, Sobekhotep is the only Pharaoh that they have known, only the oldest remember the time of Pharaoh Thutmose. Sobekhotep ambitious and power hungry, slew his way to power and sought the praise of his father. However he never got it. Every Night he is afflicted with visions and dreams by his father's ghost claiming that he has done nothing and nothing worthy of his praise. Because Sobekhotep in his arrogance and pride will never become the humble pharaoh of humility that did good for good's sake. Sobekhotep may give out gold to the people but not out of genuine charity but to show how rich and powerful he is.

This allows GMs to tailor Sobekhotep to their campaign, since he is constantly trying to find ways to please the ghost of his father, thus one could change things up for their campaign.

Second the land itself. Har'akir as a land in canon is an oasis of Murhar with about 600 people. This is too small for an empire. So there are many cities, Shedet, Thinis, Djedet, Nekhen and more. the vast majority of cities would be along the Wati River, particularly along the coast in the Wait Delta. Murhar would still exist out in the desert as an oasis. However, it would no longer be completely isolated but connected via trade routes to the rest of the empire. Naturally its population would rise exponentially to match the fact it is an empire not a village.

However, the realm of Har'akir is ancient and their are vast tombs, Pyramids, Crypts, ruins and more waiting to be uncovered with plenty of curses for the crypt raiders to deal with. So still plenty of dungeons to explore and adventure through.

Third Change I would do and the one that I haven't fully fleshed out is changing the Amber Wastes Cluster to be a bronze and Iron age core. however, Har'akir is the only one I have a good thought of how it would be changed. I am not a fan of Sebua and Pharizia, but I would like this core to have more. I have some vague ideas for a few other domains but nothing more.

Still I am curious what people think of my changes to Har'akir and if they have any ideas in helping me change the Amber Waste Cluster. :)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Har'akir and Amber Waste changes

Post by Mistmaster »

On the size and population, that is my goal too; I will keep Anktepot, thought, as the darklord but not as the temporal ruler. Maybe you would like to check this http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 2&start=15 the Amber Reaches are a desert Asia and Africa style continent.
vyshan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by vyshan »

Mistmaster wrote:On the size and population, that is my goal too; I will keep Anktepot, thought, as the darklord but not as the temporal ruler. Maybe you would like to check this http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 2&start=15 the Amber Reaches are a desert Asia and Africa style continent.
The inspiration for the darklord came from the death metal band Nile's song User Maat Re :) Still that thread is pretty good and helpful for insperation. I might do something similar to that thread for not just this cluster but my thoughts on the core.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Happy of having been usefull.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

It would be better if the Darklord was not the Pharaoh, but somebody in his/her entourage, especially if the town becomes a large city.

Because the players will clearly suspect the Pharaoh (the political ruler) to be the Boss at the end of adventure.

Putting someone else in the darklord role would be more fun IMHO. Could be a vizier, the wife of said Pharaoh, his son / daughter, a priest, or just a mummy somewhat related to the Pharaoh's family.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

I toyed with the idea of creating a sister realm to Har'akir located on the left side of the domain and also covering a little of the bottom. It was a small thought exercise and it never got round to deciding on a name for it

This was the domain of Senmet, a living vibrant domain of the Egyptian culture. Here he controlled the priesthood from the shadows, but is never able to directly lead nor is he able to directly influence the Pharaoh or enter his presence. This infuriates him and causes him to endlessly plot to seize control of the realm through various means as a direct ruler.

The domain’s history is indicate that during the reign of Pharaoh Anktepot, one of the great punishments placed against him was the loss of the great river delta that flowed through the domain and Murhar. This river far from disappearing instead had its flow redirected and now flows through the new domain offering crops growth and a trade route in the domain. A new capital was built on the left of the river and just as in the Egyptian traditions those settlements on the right of the river are became to be regard as those belonging in the land of the dead (fittingly Murhar and Har’akir both lie on that side)

The basis of the idea was to create a domain for Senmet that would fit and punish him and also annoy Anktepot as well.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:On the size and population, that is my goal too; I will keep Anktepot, thought, as the darklord but not as the temporal ruler. Maybe you would like to check this http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 2&start=15 the Amber Reaches are a desert Asia and Africa style continent.
I generally expand my domains as well. For one thing, I like consistency. If there are a lot of man-eating monsters they need men to feed on. This can't be done in tiny, sparsely populated domains. Second I like things on a grander scale.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

vyshan wrote:So I love ancient Egypt, however the only representation of Ancient Egypt is Har'akir which is just a tiny village. So I thought I would explain some of my changes I would do to Har'akir.

First thing first is a complete change in darklords. Gone is Anhktepot and now the darklord is Pharaoh Sobekhotep III.
Why change Har'Akir? Sounds like you have your own domain. Why not call it what you want, and leave Har'Akir the way it is? That way we get two domains instead of one.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Har'akir feel a bit of a waste the way it is, In my hopinion.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

I like Har'Akir. It really feels like playing in Universal Pictures "The Mummy", exploring the not quite dead ruins of a once great land, of dealing with peoples who have long since passed their golden age and now live humbly in the shadow of their once great land, regarding the past in a mixture of bitter nostalgia and superstitious dread.