Are Horror Movies making a "comeback"?

Books, movies, television and everything else

Are Horror movies making a comeback?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:45 am

Yes, they are. These movies are better now than the old horror flicks of the past.
No votes
Yes although they are not as good as the oldies.
47%
Yes, although this is a temporary fad.
18%
No, the movies coming out are more properly classified as "suspense" than "horror"
18%
No, a few flicks here and there isnt a comeback
18%

Total votes: 17

Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Are Horror Movies making a "comeback"?

Post by Shoon VII »

With the abundance of Horror movies coming out in the recent past such as Dawn of the Dead and the horror boom in Japan as well as the number of "horror" director finding acceptance in the mainstream with "comic book" movies such as Sam Raimi and Guillermo Del Toro ... are horror movies making a comeback? were they ever "out of style"?
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Horror movies have never gone out of style, though they have definitly gone in and out of good and bad phases.

For example, now that the whole Screem phase has died off, and M. Night Shylmalon/Japanese ripoffs have arrived, horror films are entering a good phase.

Sooner or latter, though, the big Hollywood Execs will become enthralled with some new fad and horror movies will go back to being cruddy for a while.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Horror movies have never gone out of style, though they have definitly gone in and out of good and bad phases.
I couldn't agree more here, though I still think western cinema is in a massive ditch when it comes to horror, nothing good has come out of the west except for a few movies that really stand out. Shaun of the Dead, Razor Blade Smile, Ginger Snaps (and the sequels), Cradel of Fear, Dawn of the Dead and so on. Except for these, horror in the west has been poor at best.

However, Oriental horror has never weakened. At least from my point of view.
For example, now that the whole Screem phase has died off, and M. Night Shylmalon/Japanese ripoffs have arrived, horror films are entering a good phase.
Unfortunately, I do not see rip-offs and remakes as a good sign, it just shows lack of originality. Japanese, Thai and Hong Kong horror stand well on their own without the substandard remake to showcase them. I am still not happy with the fact that more oriental horrors are getting a remake, and those remakes that are to get sequels will have their sequels based nothing on the originals. While this shows originality and initiative, it most likely means that they will fall into the hell known as the Hollywood Sequel :(
Sooner or latter, though, the big Hollywood Execs will become enthralled with some new fad and horror movies will go back to being cruddy for a while.
It's already here, the Zombie craze is back in a big way. No less than 100 zombies movies appeared in 2004 from about the world. While some were good, most were very, very bad.

So I think we have a new craze and a chance for people to make it a good one, but only time will tell. Shame that the zombie movie genre has already become overrun and far to bloated to make a true impact now, unless the scheduled Land of the Dead really is good.

Still, we are seeing a few more diverse movies these days, which may be a good thing if the movies are good.
Swallow your soul!
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

has anyone checked out Shawn of the Dead and another flick simply titled Undead? i understand that Shawn is a comedy ala American Werewolf in London.
ScS of the Fraternity

Pretty much.

Shaun of the Dead is a parody of the Romero flics, with a lot of tongue in cheek gore, and more than a little drama towards the end. There's a bit of satirical social comentary in it, so that seperates it from American Werewolf in London, but its got the same kind of humor. There's no real jokes, the situation is serious, but the characters are riddiculous.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Now I found Shaun of the Dead hilarious, I guess some of the humour didn't quite have the same appeal in other countries. But I am sure the scene where Shaun goes to get the sunday newspaper had other countries laughing. Not to mention the bit with Bloody Mary.
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

Bloody Mary? What part was that?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Shawn of the Dead was pretty funny, IMHO.

Joël
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Bloody Mary? What part was that?
Bloody Mary was the female zombie in Shaun's back garden (yard) they read her name tag as Mary.
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Shaun ruled. So much was great in that movie from the well done drama, nods to the zombie genre and the wry British wit.
I loved the part where they hop into the car and Shaun introduces his mum to his ex. So typically British made all the more hilarious from the situation.
ScS of the Fraternity

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Bloody Mary was the female zombie in Shaun's back garden (yard) they read her name tag as Mary.
Oh, okay. I thought the camera part was hilarious, though they kind of gave it away in the comercials.

I was wondering if they were thinking of making a sequal with Yvonne of the Dead?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

has anyone heard the skinny on this Boogeyman movie coming out. considering that Quoth 11 just came out, this movie might be cool.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Except for someone rambling on about it on tv that left me less intrigued that I was initially, I have heard nothing on the Bogeyman movie :(
Swallow your soul!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I think horror movies are sorta gaining in popularity, although many "horror" movies are just action movies disguised as horror movies, like the Mummy series, Underworld, Van Helsing, Resident Evil, and a bunch of others.

But like Wiccy says, a lot of the horror movies coming out lately (in America anyway) aren't all that great. In an effort to do something different than the normal, they come up with something truly stupid or have a poorly written plot or sometimes just plain bad actors.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

audition

Post by Shoon VII »

has anyone seen this movie Audition by Miike. i've read alot about it, but its hard to get a copy in the States that doesnt cost a million dollars!

if anyone has seen, please share your thoughts.