Break the World: A Contest

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Break the World: A Contest

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The year 761 B.C. is winding down. The Time of Unparalleled Darkness draws ever closer; as the year 762 dawns it will be thirteen years until 775 and the climax of the longest of nights. As this year ends something stirs in the shadows, forces ally themselves, and a plan is set in motion that will change the very fabric of reality and usher in what might very well be the final days.
What is that plan?

You tell us!

The Fraternity wants you to give us an adventure hook, a big one! Over the next few months we’ll turn it into an adventure to be released on the site. What’s the catch? We want you to break the world.

Fourth Edition is coming and the game is going to change. We already know wizards are going to be casting more spells, fighters and going to be doing more things in combat, etc. In part, this adventure will herald the change of editions. Similar to Die Vecna, Die, the adventure itself will be written for the 3.5 Edition ruleset and there will be explicit mention of 4E rules or changes, and the edition change will not be mandatory. Whether of not after the adventure you switch editions will be entirely up to you.

But this should not be the sole change in the Land of the Mists. When the dust settles after the adventure things should be different, and not necessarily for the best. Magic might have been disrupted, reality might have fluxuated, the Dark Power’s hold on the world might have been interrupted, or the timeline could have been shifted. Regardless, things are fundamentally different.
How? Again, you tell us!

The contest is open until the 29th of October giving you roughly two weeks to think of a decent hook and adventure skeleton.
The winner will be announced on Halloween, October 31st.
We may also throw in an additional prize.

We don’t require a complete adventure, or even a complete adventure outline. Just a really good central idea with some cool ideas, encounters and changes.
Have a good idea for an NPC? Throw them in. Want to involve the Twins or even VanRichten? Why the heck not? Want to kill of Strahd? Um… maybe you should hold off on that idea.

Send it at david.jw.gibson@gmail.com !

Last edited by Jester of the FoS on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Hmm... is it cheating if I copy and paste an entire thread I wrote into an email and send it to you? :D :mrgreen:
Jester of the FoS

I don't see anything about it having to be a *new* idea. :twisted:
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Oh. I have an idea floating. And it's evil. :twisted:

1 question; if we use a character from another campaign setting, do we have to give them the "black rose" treatment? Or, If we present it in such a way as that settings status quo is maintained (and leaving no memories of what happened in the character's mind), can we name names?

I had a... rather important FR character, who would be heavily involved. The PCs couldn't kill him (literally. It's a very epic character.) But they could "defeat" him (I'll say no more)

It could work, whirlst side stepping nameing the bozo. But I'd like to be able to name him. What's the call?
"There is no great revelation, there is only you."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Moral Machivelli wrote:Oh. I have an idea floating. And it's evil. :twisted:

1 question; if we use a character from another campaign setting, do we have to give them the "black rose" treatment? Or, If we present it in such a way as that settings status quo is maintained (and leaving no memories of what happened in the character's mind), can we name names?

I had a... rather important FR character, who would be heavily involved. The PCs couldn't kill him (literally. It's a very epic character.) But they could "defeat" him (I'll say no more)

It could work, whirlst side stepping nameing the bozo. But I'd like to be able to name him. What's the call?
Don't change it for now, and we'll see when it is submitted.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Halloween != December 31st
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:Halloween != December 31st
*lol* So many people read it, still nobody saw it before now :)

I changed the announcement. Yes, Halloween this year is still in October!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jester of the FoS

:?
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Meh, I noticed it but I liked it. I found it cool to mix up Halloween with New Year's Eve. Two endings in one! :P
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Jester of the FoS

For reference, here is the end of Die Vecna, Die and similar to how I'd like this project to end:
Even with Vecna's removal, his time in the crux effected change in superspace. Though the Lady of Pain attempts to heal the damage, the turmoil spawned by Vecna's time in Sigil cannot be entirely erased. Some Outer Planes drift off and are forever lost, others collide and merge, while at least one Inner Plane runs "aground" on a distant world of the Prime. Moreover, the very nature of the Prime Material Plane itself is altered. Half-worlds like those attached to Tovag Baragu multiply a millionfold, taking on parallel realism in what was before a unified Prime Material Plane. The concept of alternate dimensions rears its metaphorical head, but doesn't yet solidify, and perhaps it never will. New realms, both near and far, are revealed and realms never previously imagined make themselves known. Entities long thought lost emerge once more, while other creatures, both great and small, are inexplicably eradicated. Some common spells begin to work differently. The changes do not occur immediately, but instead are revealed during the subsequent months. However, one thing remains clear: Nothing will ever be the same again.

Yeah, that's a good end. Lots of teasing hints, adventure ideas, small hooks and references.
GoldenGoblin
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: Ivlis Swamp, Barovia Valicia's Cave in a secure shelter

Post by GoldenGoblin »

Could link the ToUD and the Guide to Hells great serpents. Since Lady of Pain is involved as a greater power.

But doesnt breaking Ravenloft mean the death of the begining? Strahd is the cotterpin isnt he?

I am off to contemplate this. Breaking.
[url=http://campaignhq.blogspot.com/]Campaign Headquarters Log[/url]

I despise all weavers of the dark arts ... speaking of which pass the gravy

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korgoth_of_Barbaria]Korgoth[/url]
Jester of the FoS

Break as in crack. Chip maybe. Not shatter, not yet.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Count me in!
Jester of the FoS

Of course I encourage people to use lands and lords that haven't seen alot of attention prior...
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Hmm... Vecna? No he's gone.

Gwydion? Perhaps you could tie the Shadowfey to the new 4E Shadowfell.