G’Henna, what to do with it?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

G’Henna, what to do with it?

Post by ewancummins »

I like G’Henna a lot, but I’m not sure it works where it is in the Core, pre-GC. The climate feels weird on that side of the Balinoks. And although I’ve played devil’s (Zhakata’s) advocate in another thread, I do have to wonder why more people don’t leave to avoid starvation. Zealous or not, hunger is a basic and strong human factor.

I’m guessing the TSR designers decided much the same, and thus they moved it.

Possibilities:
•A Leave it in its old place in the Core. Don’t think so hard about the practical implications of resources, migration, and climate. That’s missing the point. Starvation in the midst of relative plenty fits the theme.

•B Move it into the Mists but leave a corner touching the Sea of Sorrows. I think this might be what Circle of Darkness did, based on something I read in the digital sample.

•C It’s an Island of Terror, as per later canon. Add a mist-way trade route if you want to stave off even worse starvation.

•D Move it onto the far side of the Nightmare Lands (in my variant that keeps the NL as part of the Core). That should discourage emigration and cut down on food imports without totally isolating the domain from the rest of the Core. It’s a place you hear about, even if you don’t want to visit. Emaciated madmen sometimes wander out of the Nightmare Lands babbling about Zhakata.

E= something else?

Your thoughts, fomumites?
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: G’Henna, what to do with it?

Post by ewancummins »

I suppose it could also be added to the Frozen Lands cluster if one plays up the ''cold'' part of ''rocky, cold, and dry.'' It's a cold desert.
Add some yaks.
Sure, it has seasons, but so does Sanguinia. It's just that even summer in Sanguinia is rather chilly.
The PHLB description of day only being six hours in the Frozen Lands might not work with G'henna, though.
Or maybe it would?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Eh, I like it as an island. I don't think it really has enough play value to merit too much connection to other lands. Just MHO
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Whether I move it to the far east of the Core or make it an island of terror, I''ll need something to fill the space on the map it leaves behind.

I've thought about plugging in a human nation.

Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Buzzclaw »

I often thought of putting it waaaay down south of the Core jutting out from Bluetspur. But then again Bluetspur is an odd duck that probably doesn't fit in the Core.

Alternatively, G'henna is kinda arid, so maybe it could fit in the Amber Wastes? It also shares a theme of religious corruption/extremism with Pharazia.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Buzzclaw wrote:I often thought of putting it waaaay down south of the Core jutting out from Bluetspur. But then again Bluetspur is an odd duck that probably doesn't fit in the Core.

Alternatively, G'henna is kinda arid, so maybe it could fit in the Amber Wastes? It also shares a theme of religious corruption/extremism with Pharazia.
Bluestpur is also on my chopping block.

What I will likely change/move/eliminate:

Bluetspur, because I'm not sure I want mind-flayers in my Ravenloft. If I
remove it from the Core, I can always use it later as an Island of Terror without any retcon.

Arak, because I am not a fan of drow (outside the World of Greyhawk, anyway).
Although I could design a new drow culture. Darklords suggests as much when it notes that the drow of Arak may be different from drow in other worlds.

G'henna, because a desert domain inhabited by hungry people sounds cool but doesn't seem to fit well where it was first placed.

Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

Well, first of all, I renamed it Gelnovec because G'Henna is undeniably (and purposefully) similar to Gehenna. Also, I changed Petrovna to Petrov in keeping with Russian custom. Below was the blurb I wrote for own files.

Gelnovec
Analogue: Medieval Bosnia and Herzegovina
Language: Gelnovecian
Religion: Zhakata the Devourer (all other religions are outlawed); many of the rebels and mongrelmen worship Matherion (aka Ezra).
Ruler: High Priest Yagno Petrov
Darklord: Yagno Petrov
Major Settlements: Zhukar (pop. 10,100)

It is amazing to young people that Gelnovec [“Gel-nov-ek”] was a principality that followed the Church of Matherion within living memory. Those days ended when Yagno Petrov came to Gelnovec. He started a cult to Zhakata in the capital, Bovnemsin, which swept throughout the realm in a few short years. The royal family was executed, churches to Church of Matherion were burned or torn down and before long, Bovnemsin was all but destroyed by the loyal followers of Zhakata. Zhukar, a city dedicated to Zhakata, was built over the still-smoking ruins of Bovnemsin.

Petrov has met with some resistance, however. Whereas Gelnovec was once half-covered with forest, only about 10% of the country is woodland now. In the early days, when Petrov had just seized control of Gelnovec, many of the resistance fighters took to the woods. Petrov responded by setting fire to the forests, burning down most of the nation’s woodland to force the rebels into the open. More than one village was destroyed in the fires as well. Little of the forests have been allowed to regrow lest they become the hideout of rebels again—and there are still rebels, though they are now few in number and most live a nomadic lifestyle on the plains by necessity. Petrov’s control has been almost absolute since.

The forest burnings have greatly affected the environment of Gelnovec. The soil in a few areas was more fertile for a few years, but is now much less so than before. Where the forests stood are now windswept plains called the Withered Expanse. The rivers are murkier, the waters not as clean as they used to be. The population of game animals has decreased sharply. Farming in Gelnovec has been difficult since the burning of the forests, and there isn’t nearly as much grazing land for sheep as before. The land has even grown colder; winters in northern Gelnovec are occasionally cold enough to crack stone. According to Petrov, this is all Zhakata’s will, but many rebels believe this is the result of Matherion’s displeasure with Petrov and his followers.

Notes: Someone on this forum--I don't know who--suggested putting Daglan and G'Henna in a cluster and calling it the Withered Expanse. I decided to keep Daglan and my Gelnovec as part of the Core (Daglan being somewhat based on Serbia IMC) and name the dusty plains the Withered Expanse. I can see the Withered Expanse becoming an actual dustbowl in the future.

Hope that gives you some ideas to work with. ;)
Formerly known as SpiritCaller.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

ewancummins wrote:
•B Move it into the Mists but leave a corner touching the Sea of Sorrows. I think this might be what Circle of Darkness did, based on something I read in the digital sample.
You are correct, sir. The Sea of Sorrows is at its northwest corner and provides and primary means of interaction with the outside world (and providing G'Henna with one of its few lifelines of outside trade) (Circle of Darkness p.5)

Edit:Though, in retrospect, since it's to the west, perhaps the Nocturnal Sea would be a better bet? Perhaps you could stick it on that new emerging continent that has Vechor on it?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SpiritCaller wrote:Well, first of all, I renamed it Gelnovec because G'Henna is undeniably (and purposefully) similar to Gehenna. Also, I changed Petrovna to Petrov in keeping with Russian custom. Below was the blurb I wrote for own files.

Gelnovec
Analogue: Medieval Bosnia and Herzegovina
Language: Gelnovecian
Religion: Zhakata the Devourer (all other religions are outlawed); many of the rebels and mongrelmen worship Matherion (aka Ezra).
Ruler: High Priest Yagno Petrov
Darklord: Yagno Petrov
Major Settlements: Zhukar (pop. 10,100)

It is amazing to young people that Gelnovec [“Gel-nov-ek”] was a principality that followed the Church of Matherion within living memory. Those days ended when Yagno Petrov came to Gelnovec. He started a cult to Zhakata in the capital, Bovnemsin, which swept throughout the realm in a few short years. The royal family was executed, churches to Church of Matherion were burned or torn down and before long, Bovnemsin was all but destroyed by the loyal followers of Zhakata. Zhukar, a city dedicated to Zhakata, was built over the still-smoking ruins of Bovnemsin.

Petrov has met with some resistance, however. Whereas Gelnovec was once half-covered with forest, only about 10% of the country is woodland now. In the early days, when Petrov had just seized control of Gelnovec, many of the resistance fighters took to the woods. Petrov responded by setting fire to the forests, burning down most of the nation’s woodland to force the rebels into the open. More than one village was destroyed in the fires as well. Little of the forests have been allowed to regrow lest they become the hideout of rebels again—and there are still rebels, though they are now few in number and most live a nomadic lifestyle on the plains by necessity. Petrov’s control has been almost absolute since.

The forest burnings have greatly affected the environment of Gelnovec. The soil in a few areas was more fertile for a few years, but is now much less so than before. Where the forests stood are now windswept plains called the Withered Expanse. The rivers are murkier, the waters not as clean as they used to be. The population of game animals has decreased sharply. Farming in Gelnovec has been difficult since the burning of the forests, and there isn’t nearly as much grazing land for sheep as before. The land has even grown colder; winters in northern Gelnovec are occasionally cold enough to crack stone. According to Petrov, this is all Zhakata’s will, but many rebels believe this is the result of Matherion’s displeasure with Petrov and his followers.

Notes: Someone on this forum--I don't know who--suggested putting Daglan and G'Henna in a cluster and calling it the Withered Expanse. I decided to keep Daglan and my Gelnovec as part of the Core (Daglan being somewhat based on Serbia IMC) and name the dusty plains the Withered Expanse. I can see the Withered Expanse becoming an actual dustbowl in the future.

Hope that gives you some ideas to work with. ;)

That's a pretty cool reworking, yeah!

Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

ewancummins wrote:
Buzzclaw wrote:I often thought of putting it waaaay down south of the Core jutting out from Bluetspur. But then again Bluetspur is an odd duck that probably doesn't fit in the Core.

Bluestpur is also on my chopping block.

What I will likely change/move/eliminate:

Bluetspur, because I'm not sure I want mind-flayers in my Ravenloft. If I
remove it from the Core, I can always use it later as an Island of Terror without any retcon.

Arak, because I am not a fan of drow (outside the World of Greyhawk, anyway).
Although I could design a new drow culture. Darklords suggests as much when it notes that the drow of Arak may be different from drow in other worlds.

G'henna, because a desert domain inhabited by hungry people sounds cool but doesn't seem to fit well where it was first placed.
Kenzer & Company had an excellent and different culture for the drow in theor kingdoms of kalamar d&d line. I'm blanking on the book name at the moment but it's worth looking at if you wanted a redone drow.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Resonant Curse wrote: Kenzer & Company had an excellent and different culture for the drow in theor kingdoms of kalamar d&d line. I'm blanking on the book name at the moment but it's worth looking at if you wanted a redone drow.
Kenzer & Company releases stuff besides Knights of the Dinner Table?

(Well I didn't know it)
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

jamesfirecat wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote: Kenzer & Company had an excellent and different culture for the drow in theor kingdoms of kalamar d&d line. I'm blanking on the book name at the moment but it's worth looking at if you wanted a redone drow.
Kenzer & Company releases stuff besides Knights of the Dinner Table?

(Well I didn't know it)

Yeah, they have a huge 3rd/3.5 line called Kingdoms of Kalamar that was an official d&d setting. Probably most realistic setting i've seen. They have a ridiculously well researched atlas for example. Great adventures too.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Drow were retconned out of Arak and the Shadow Rift, weren't they? There was only a hand full of them that visited the shadow fey, and that it was zelldrow emulating drow that made people think the shadow fey were drow.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Drow were retconned out of Arak and the Shadow Rift, weren't they? There was only a hand full of them that visited the shadow fey, and that it was zelldrow emulating drow that made people think the shadow fey were drow.
Yeah, in theory I think the only cannon drow in Ravenloft with a name is that the PC's might possibly encounter is the one who is a member of the Eternal Order in the second of the three "Death" adventures, unless she got changed into some kind of shadow fey as well at some point.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Drow were retconned out of Arak and the Shadow Rift, weren't they? There was only a hand full of them that visited the shadow fey, and that it was zelldrow emulating drow that made people think the shadow fey were drow.

Those zelldrow apparently fooled the writers of the Black Box, too.

;0