Death House

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Death House

Post by Ender »

I downloaded Death House. What follows is information you'll want to know, with relevant quotes. Spoilers abound. You have been warned.

The Introduction
Curse of Strahd is a retelling of the original Ravenloft
adventure, which was published in 1983 by TSR, Inc.
The Curse of Strahd book includes the original
adventure, as well as expanded material developed in
consultation with Tracy and Laura Hickman. It expands
what we know about the lands around Castle Ravenloft
and sheds new light on the dark past of the castle’s lord.
I'd been hoping for something wholly new, but this at least sounds like it'll deliver a good chunk of new stuff.
The lands of Barovia are from a forgotten world in the
D&D multiverse, and this adventure gives glimpses into
that world. In time, cursed Barovia was torn from its
home world by the Dark Powers and bound
in mist as one of the Domains of Dread in
the Shadowfell.
Wait, "one of the Domains of Dread". They said one of. I'm happy. I'm very happy. This is really all I needed to hear. I believe this is confirmation (tentative, of course) that the demiplane as we knew it from the full campaign setting probably exists, though in what form exactly, we do not yet know. The mention of the Shadowfell, as a holdover from 4E irritates me, but it's not really a huge deal.

The Adventure

Death House is about a haunted, sentient house that lures visitors to it in order to continue the work of a former cult that resided there. The cult started by trying to summon extraplanar creatuers, but with no success. Eventually they just started sacrificing people to satisfy their own dark desires. They accidentally got on Strahd's bad side when they killed a band of adventurers he was using.
The ranks of the cult thinned as members began
to lose interest in the debacle.

Then Strahd von Zarovich arrived.

The cultists regarded Strahd as a messiah sent to
them by the Dark Powers. Drawn to Strahd like moths
to a flame, they pledged their devotion for a promise of
immortality, but Strahd turned them away, deeming the
cult and its leaders unworthy of his attention.
I may be misinterpreting what this is saying, but it seems to me that the cult existed in the demiplane before Strahd and Barovia were brought in. This would seem to conflict with the idea that Strahd's betrayal and the removal of Barovia were the inception of the demiplane. More over, the cult seems to have knowledge of the Dark Powers if they thought Strahd was sent by them. Maybe "Dark Powers" is just shorthand for "whatever dark gods the cult worshipped". I am uncertain.

The first thing adventurers come across are a pair of children standing in the road in the village of Barovia. They turn out to be illusions created by the house to draw the adventurers in. A complete detailing of the rooms of the house then follows. It is an interesting and exceptionally designed house... that most certainly does not belong in Barovia. I have a bit of a issue here. I love the house. But it seems to me that they really should have read up on eastern european architecture of the appropriate era. What they describe is a house that would more properly belong in Mordent, or maybe even Paridon. It's a small thing, but one that irks me nonetheless. Truthfully, the entire adventure really feels more like something that should be placed in Mordent or would be an oubliette, rather than a house in Barovia, but I digress.
This secret room contains bookshelves packed with
tomes describing fiend-summoning rituals and the necromantic
rituals of a cult called the Priests of Osybus.
New cult. Not sure who Osybus is.
My most pathetic servant,

I am not a messiah sent to you by the Dark Powers
of this land. I have not come to lead you on a path to
immortality. However many souls you have bled on your
hidden altar, however many visitors you have tortured
in your dungeon, know that you are not the ones who
brought me to this beautiful land. You are but worms
writhing in my earth.

You say that you are cursed, your fortunes spent. You
abandoned love for madness, took solace in the bosom
of another woman, and sired a stillborn son. Cursed by
darkness? Of that I have no doubt. Save you from your
wretchedness? I think not. I much prefer you as you are.

Your dread lord and master,
Strahd von Zarovich
This is a letter found in the hand of a skeleton, from Strahd to a cultist. It makes perfectly clear that Strahd knows of the Dark Powers (no longer referring to them simply as "Death"). I'm also highly confused about whether Strahd was brought to Barovia or he was in Barovia and the whole of it was brought to a land that formerly existed. This letter gives more of an indication that the demiplane was around before Strahd.

The party continues through the house, meeting the actual ghosts of the children met outside. Eventually, they make their way to the cult's dungeon below the house and find their way to the sacrificial altar. A ghostly chanting instructs them to sacrifice someone on the altar. The players can do so or choose to reject the voices. If they sacrifice someone, the chanting stops and the house is appeased. If they refuse, a shambling mound is summoned (it lives down there, so not magically summoned). If the party kills it, the cult dies away, vanishing forever. Denying the cult, however, forces them to contend with the house itself. If they escape, the house harms them no further.
The mists of Ravenloft continue to surround Death
House until the characters stand atop the dais and
either appease or defy the cultists. Strahd is satisfied
either way, prompting the mists to recede.
This would suggest that Strahd controls the Mists of Ravenloft that have been guiding the players this whole time. That's... interesting. I've always felt the Choking Fog was a bit unnecessary. I'd have much preferred him to have control over the Mists within Barovia.

Conclusions

It's a really good introductory adventure. It's simply one that I probably wouldn't place in Barovia as such. There's some aspects mentioned within that strike true to the campaign setting we know, but others that deviate from it. I'm very interested in seeing how the rest of Curse of Strahd goes.
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Death House

Post by Ender »

One Addendum: About that architecture...
Hanging on the wall
next to the dumbwaiter is a tiny brass bell attached by
wires to buttons in those other areas.
Um. Electricity? Or are we talking about an elaborate mechanism that might strike a wire and cause a bell to rattle? If the latter, that's cool. If the former, then my issue with this house grows.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

It's an OK low level basic adventure. Atmospheric descriptions are fun. Map is great.

With some tweaking, this house could be added to any domain.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Wait, where did you find it?!

If find Shadowfel a more fitting place than Deep Ethereal for Ravenloft to be sincere.

The "one of " doesn't mean much IMO cause, I doubt they plan to expand on the world. OK, they may throw an island or something but a map of the core or something? Doubtful.

For Strahd and Barovia... I don't actually care much what the dear author wished. Barovia existed before Strahd. Ravenloft's Barovia AFTER Strahd's act. He's the first link.

HOWEVER: Putting a hidden 2 along with the 2 we have this:
Strahd stumbled on the house in Mordent when he was kicked there along with Azalin because of the Alchemist. As Mordent was drawn in, so did that house. It just ended on Barovia.
And that's what I'm going to use.

About the mists and Strahd: If it's a pocket domain, Strahd can close the borders around it.
Last edited by alhoon on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

It's actually a link in the first post, to it probably from him uploading it. It's a nice fairly simple investigate an old house's secrets and find out a few things before destroying the evil taint forever.... or not depending on your group... (to say more would spoil it for anyone playing I think)

I think Joel is right it could be added to another domain with a bit of tweaking... i was particularly thinking of Mordentshire where restless ghosts are supposed to be the thing there right? ;)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Skimmed it.
Atmospheric, but probably a killer unless the PCs bow to the house's whims. A 2nd level party can't defeat the house. It's near impossible. Every door has a good chance to deal 2d10 damage.
Anyway, it's a nice, gothic adventure. Killer. But nice.

The "Strahd arrived" part in the adventure seems to me that it's "Then Strahd noticed a weird necrophiliac, cannibalistic cult in his domain and went to check. He checked, found nothing of interest and left. Later they annoyed him a bit. He killed them all."

I especially like how the house offers visual hints in the decoration for perceptive characters that something sinister was going on.

Also, the kids' name are shortened to "Thorn" and "Rose"... I love the attention to detail
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote:It's actually a link in the first post, to it probably from him uploading it.
Nope, you'll notice it's a link to wizards.com. It's official and legal. Wizards linked to it publicly in their online Dragon+ magazine.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hmm.. comments on twitter seem to indicate that this adventure will actually be in the Curse of Strahd hardcover...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Truth be told Gon, references like "See page 206" and "See chapter 2" lend credit to this idea.
My DMGuild work!
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Hmm.. comments on twitter seem to indicate that this adventure will actually be in the Curse of Strahd hardcover...
Yes, Death House is the introduction to Curse of Strahd, leading up to the level 3 starting point.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ender wrote: Death House is the introduction to Curse of Strahd, leading up to the level 3 starting point.
I do not know what is the level progression in 5e, but gaining two levels in this mini adventure is quite fast!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

It's not supposed to be that fast traditionally. They fast track it so you can enter the main adventure at lvl 3 without problems.

That is, if you survive an ambush by 4 ghouls, another one by 5 shadows (no magic weapons) and several doors that deal 2d10 damage on a failed save.
My DMGuild work!
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

I agree with alhoon, it seems to be very tough for first level characters. Or 2nd when the main combat begins. It would be nice to throw in some sort of allergen-weapon elsewhere in the house that could harm the shadows. I'm not very familiar with 5E, but I'll be running this campaign for my newbs once it comes out.

I saw it referencing other pages, but it still seemed to stand on its own. It isn't touted as a "preview" so I'd be surprised if it were reprinted in the main book. The other side-adventures projected in this series indicate they will be rolled out one at a time into the late spring, so that would make them completely redundant if they were in the main book.

All the little clues we are devouring, such as the reference to multiple domains trapped in the shadowfell, does give us a little hope. I'd say we could vote with our wallets. We keep hearing that I6 revolutionized the way D&D was played, and Strahd is one of the most enduring villains in the history of the hobby; then why not bring the setting back? Personally, I think we do just fine ourselves right here but its nice to hold official supplements in dead-tree format. I think if CoS sells, we'll get more of that, in some form.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Strahdsbuddy wrote:I saw it referencing other pages, but it still seemed to stand on its own. It isn't touted as a "preview" so I'd be surprised if it were reprinted in the main book.
Actually, it's touted as exactly that ("Ravenloft Adventure Preview" and "Curse of Strahd Preview Adventure", specifically) in the Dragon+ article that links to it:
http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article ... rn%20Tales
:)
The other side-adventures projected in this series indicate they will be rolled out one at a time into the late spring, so that would make them completely redundant if they were in the main book.
The other side adventures will be for purchase, not free, and off the main storyline of Curse of Strahd, so those aren't previews the same way Death House is. Considering that Tracy Hickman already has his preview copy of Curse (according to one of the podcasts) and that Ken Hart is still working on his adventurer's league adventure, you're correct that those won't be in the main book.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

regarding the historical hooks in these 12 pages, I'd say it definitely implies Strahd came to the area later. This is particularly problematic since it blows up our own Genesis version of the demiplane. If the Durst family had already been performing their sacrifices at the time of Dorian's fall and the liberation of Barovia, I can see this making a bit more sense. That's a very long time ago, though. I believe the Tergs were openly in league with demons/summoned outlanders, and the Dursts may have been trying to replicate this unsuccessfully. Once Dorian was dead, they sucked up to the new lord and were found to be unworthy servants. Their location in the Village of Barovia indicates this would happen pretty quickly after Strahds arrival.

Conversely, they could be among the first families to piece together Strahd's longevity back when he wasn't trying the whole Strahd XII facade. Practicing their cult in a more isolated Barovia may have made them easier to detect, and the quick warning from Vasili von Holz just made them think to skip the bureucrats and declare themselves right to their liege. He was unamused, and the chilly standoff was finally ended when they unwittingly crossed the most powerful creature they could encounter. I'd change the wording of Strahd's letter, to refer to the Dark Powers more generically, as though using Gustav's title for them against him. Strahd probably clings to his vision of the Dark Powers from I, Strahd and would consider anything the Dursts suggest to be just another false god. I did like the "worms writhing in my earth" line though.

The whole adventure seems to steal from House of Lament. Not a problem if Barovia continues to exist independantly of the historical demiplane. I did like the twist at the end of giving the PCs a chance to end the adventure by fulfilling the will of the house. No call for a Powers Check (probably not implemented) but if the creature the party decides to kill is anything other than a future spell component I can foresee at least a little role-playing tension as that decision gets made.

I still think items found around the house should be able to damage the creatures, even with an insta-kill if the party is rolling poorly. The longsword above the mantle with the cameo, the dagger with the rat skull, even the aspergillum are nicely fleshed out details of items that can do absolutely nothing to help the party, as written. I'm the furthest thing from a roll-player when it comes to being DM, but I'd be interested for someone who is 5E-fluent to explain just how difficult this is for a bunch of 2nd level toons. alhoon, do you have any further comment on this?
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook