Souvenirs of I6/HouseofStrahd/EtCR?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Souvenirs of I6/HouseofStrahd/EtCR?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Just 10 days before the release of Curse of Strahd, a 5th edition reboot of the iconic Castle Ravenloft adventure!

Whether you played the original first edition I-6 Castle Ravenloft (released 1983), second edition House of Strahd (1993) or third edition Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (2006), it was surely a fun (and deadly) ride!

So while we wait for Curse of Strahd, what are your souvenirs of playing / dming these?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Re: Souvenirs of I6/HouseofStrahd/EtCR?

I start. I played I-6 soon after it came out, in 1983 or 1984.

This adventure was so much different than anything else we had played before!

First the BBEG was toying with us! Before that, it was fairly linear and the BBEG was waiting for you in the last room of the dungeon. Then you killed him or he killed you. End of story. But Strahd appeared a couple of times during the adventure, teasing us. That was exciting.

Second the 3D maps and the gothic atmosphere. Both blew us away!

Third, a vampire necromancer! A monster could have PC classes, wow! Now it's the norm, but it was unseen before that.

Last, it was deadly, as all adventures in the I serie were expected to be. My cavalier was polymorphed into a bird by Strahd, and I ended the adventure saying "chirp chirp" ...

But the most deadly was ...
VIEW CONTENT:
... when the paladin was teleported into the wight coffin, and a wight was teleported into the paladin's armour! For us, it looked like the paladin suddenly turned to a wight, which we killed. But meanwhile, the naked paladin was alone, in a coffin, surrounded by hungry wights who felt his presence... He didn't last long!
But even if it was nearly a TPK, it was great! We loved it!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Can't believe I'm the only who played this? :D
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I didn't even see this before. I will try and get a post up when I can about my experience with I-6 and how dming it got me interested in Ravenloft. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I will admit that for my love for the Ravenloft setting, I've never actually ran the original module in any form. I've read it, I've admired it, but I never had the right group or the right timing to do it. Maybe someday.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

Joël of the FoS wrote:But even if it was nearly a TPK, it was great! We loved it!
Oh my gosh, that was a horrific encounter for my group. The party had split to cover more ground in the catacombs and both the fighters stepped into traps on opposite sides of Strahd's tomb.

The remainder of the party got to face wights in +1 and +2 plate armor while the fighters fumbled in their coffins. 6 level drains later that party stumbled into Strahd's tomb and finished off the dark lord. :lol:
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lost Heretic wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:But even if it was nearly a TPK, it was great! We loved it!
Oh my gosh, that was a horrific encounter for my group. The party had split to cover more ground in the catacombs and both the fighters stepped into traps on opposite sides of Strahd's tomb.

The remainder of the party got to face wights in +1 and +2 plate armor while the fighters fumbled in their coffins. 6 level drains later that party stumbled into Strahd's tomb and finished off the dark lord. :lol:

Cleric blew up the wight replacement and then stepped in after the person who disappeared and most fought naked keeping the wights at bay while the cleric finished them off. xD Believe we were playing 3.0 at the time with me converting on the fly. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf