Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts
Author: Nigel Findley
Type: Accessory Ė monster (werebeasts)
Format: 96 pages paperback
Release date: August 1993
Other notes: This book was to see reprint in 1999 as a part of the Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium Volume 1 (with little expansion in this re-edition).
Summary of content:
- An overview of lycanthropy (hereditary, pathologic, maledictive)
- Biological survey (vulnerabilities, transformation mechanics, diet
- Psychological survey (moral and ethical outlook, societies)
- Pathologic scourge (phenotypes, triggers, cure)
- On the hunt (identification, hunt)
DM Appendix: werejaguar, werebadger
While I loved the psychological discussion about werecreatures, I am not that fond of this guide. It doesnít really expand what we already read in the monster manuals. Too much filler Ö
Iím a fan of werecreatures, I think they are cool, but I have few good ideas on how to use them in a campaign, other then the classic Ďthereís a bunch of gruesome murders, letís find the animal that does ití. The book doesnít give many ideas, IMHO.
Not to be avoided, but not to be hunted frenetically either. 2,5 on 5.
Return to the Drawing Room
Please send your Reviews of art, books, movies, music, television shows, and video games to email@example.com
Back to Ravenloft