The Tessier Gallery, Quartier Savant, Port-a-Lucine; March 11th, 770, 7:51 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lia wrote:"Councilor, I must ask: was the curator herself a practitioner of the arts?"
"She is not." The charming-voiced wizard said, steel certainty belying his genial tone. "Were she a mage of any sort, she would have come to my attention. She has not."
Tomas wrote:Sir, is there a good reason for everyone to leave? I can announce it
"Not yet." The young Donatien Tessier spoke up, his voice uncertain. A nobleman and art specialist he may have been, but in murder he was untried. Nevertheless, at a curt nod from LaGrange, he continued. "We don't want to start a panic, or worse, a stampede. Deaths happen that way. First calm everyone down, and then we'll let them go home slowly."
Mr. Agale wrote:"While not optimistic, I'm not terribly inclined to take the word of animated effigies at face value. Is there any hope of reviving her?"
"Not without entering the room," Katja said, warily. Her single eye flicked around the room a few times.
"No... she's dead," Thierri murmured, in an eerie echo of the child-like voices before. The magician leaned on the door frame, staring raptly at the curator's body.
Celeste wrote:“…Should anyone wish to accompany me?”
"Oooh! Me me me!" Cerise volunteered. "Let me help you out. I'm really good with people!" She smiled genuinely.
Kerrian wrote:"If so, whomever put them up is probably going to get a response soon, unless that was all just an illusion." Kerrian frowned. "I..don't know enough about how those work..so I can't say if what that was could be reproduced with one."
Mr. Agale wrote:"Sir, although I would find it highly unlikely that the guilty party yet remains on the premises, I would strongly recommend that departing revelers be discreetly analyzed for residual magic."
"The wards did
not activate, and they should have." Councilor LaGrange said, brows knitting together. "Meaning either that the perpetrator is still on the premises, or something odder is at play here. I shall need to check the wards over, and to examine everyone present..."
LaGrange's voice trailed off into deep thought as he considered the sheer extent of the task before him. The Tessier Gallery was not a small building, and there had to be several hundred people present. Then his eyes fell upon you, and the solution suggested himself.
"I will need more arcanists if this task is to be done in time. I am going to ask several of you to make for the nearest gendarmerie station. Once there, tell them to dispatch aid as quickly as possible, particularly as many of the officers in the scarlet-trimmed caps as they have available. You have my authority on that. Scarlet-trimmed caps, remember." LaGrange's voice was still hypnotic, but now it took on a more business-like clip. "I warn you, this may be dangerous, but it is
extremely urgent and important."
"I shall go." Katja said instantly, her own Lamordian accent stronger now.
"The nearest gendarmerie station is in the Quartier Ouvrier, just past Pere Villon cemetery." Donatien Tessier volunteered. "It... probably will be dangerous, yes." Katja just nodded brusquely to this.
"Thank you, Madamouselle. Some others should go with you." Councilor LaGrange said. "The rest of you, go with Donatien and keep the guests
calm. We do not need a panic. In the meantime, I shall find some arcane colleagues of mine and return here with more trained mages."
"I can talk to the guards, if you like." Ambassador Vedarrak offered quietly. He cast a look at Katja, but he focused on LaGrange. Behind him, Lieutenant Jaeger waited like a loyal hound. "Examine the perimeter, see if anything strange has happened."
"Thank you Marcos, it will be appreciated." Claude LaGrange nodded, then looked at the rest of you. "Let us move quickly, ladies and gentlement. Some of you to the gendarmerie station, Marcos to the perimeter, I to my colleagues, and the rest of you to keep the situation calm. Time is wasting."
"And when I return." LaGrange added quietly, looking at you. "We shall have a long talk about this. Donatien, you have these peoples names? Excellent."
================================================
In truth, the situation outside was about as well as could be expected.
Which was to say, it was utter chaos. Nobles were pushing and shoving their way through the ballroom, seeking out
someone who knew what was going on. The guards didn't seem to know whether they should let people leave or not; even if they had, it was being rendered a moot point, as a throng of nobles jammed the exit, the giant bustles of the female nobility getting caught on one another and forming a veritable blockade. It was about all that could be expected in the aftermath of unnatural, bloodcurdling screams - in fact, it was surprising that the commotion hadn't turned into a full-fledged riot. You could barely spot the throng of mice, holed up by the buffet, a tiny port of sanity in a brewing storm.
"'Scuse me, pardon me, coming through, oops! Sorry about the hat, madame." Cerise ducked and dodged her way through the crowd, trying to make her way toward one of the walls. She got caught on a clump of panicked nobles, who were rushing around a woman passed out on the floor. It seemed that the screams had been too much for Madame Loiseau's constitution, and she had fainted dead away.
"Do you
mean to kill her? Move!" Thierri commanded. The magician was, perhaps unsurprisingly, agile, squeezing his way over to Loiseau without much trouble. He checked the woman over, producing a vial of vile smelling salts from his sleeves, but to no avail. "Out cold," he muttered.
"What happened?" It was Professor Petrik, her eyes blazing behind the growling wolf mask. Her fearsome visage said well enough to get out of her way, and she was plowing through anyone who didn't. The crowd scattered away from you as Professor Petrik stopped dead, her stiletto heels clicking against the floor. "You! What caused that scream?" she demanded.
"Just a minute, professor, and if you could please stop being so scary..." Cerise grimaced. "You'd better start talking," she whispered aside to Celeste.
OOC: Cerise is assisting Celeste in her attempts to calm the crowd. Whistler, when you make your roll, roll twice and take the higher result.
Currently, Katja is heading off to try and reach the gendarme station. You can choose to accompany her, or stay at the Tessier to try and help with the crowd and investigation. As always, if you have another idea, feel free to bring it up with us.