A Horseman's Intro - Looking for Advice and Ideas

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

A Horseman's Intro - Looking for Advice and Ideas

Post by DoctorMoreau »

So I'm working on an introductory adventure for my new Ravenloft campaign. My idea is since I plan to run many of the adventures that had the whole "escape Ravenloft" theme to them that I actually will start with the characters being off worlders.

Though I've decided, for relatability and to increase horror to make the characters from Earth, the 1790s to be exact. I'm doing this because this is when the Legend of Sleepy Hollow was set.

The reason why I decided on this was because I like the idea of something "leading" them to Ravenloft rather than just random mist pick up. But I usually don't like the whole "you've known these people for a long time" as that is more difficult to make up experiences together and make them believable.

Anyway, getting off topic. I want them to come in for whatever reasons, end up looking into the Ichabod Crane disappearance and then get chased by the Horseman into Ravenloft. When they are looking into Ichabod's disappearance I do sort of want them to suspect Brom Bones (as the original story indicated that he was really the Horseman in disguise).

I don't want to use the Tim Burton movie as too much inspiration, since it's been seen by all I'm sure and I'm not totally happy with how much it revealed, worried enough that players are going to use that to try to draw additional details and conclusions that have nothing to do with the story.

Anyway, the reason I went on this tirade was just to ask for some advice from the community at large. After all, you guys are the only people who are as big of Ravenloft fans as me.

First, I need the players to RUN from the Horseman so he doesn't kill them... but I'm worried about if they don't. I do admittedly have a PC I can kill right off the bat (he's making a Ravenloft native, but we don't want to give that away so he has an early disposable character from Earth like them to avoid just... sitting out). Still, REALLY worried about another player being a hero here.

Second, just wondering how I'm going to link it all in to Brom Bones and make them suspicious of him. Though of course the fact that he got the girl etc will partly do that for me... I'm just really looking for brainstorming help in general.

Third, wondering how to best link in the Ravenloft Horseman with the real world one, not that that seems too difficult since the Earth Horseman actually in my opinion has a better background, still it may come up in the future that I need to flesh just what he did to be a domain lord.

Oh, I should mention that players can start with characters who have magic, they are just part of secret cabals and select few al la MotRD (it's probably safe to say this IS the MotRD setting they are coming from, just 100 years prior to where adventures are usually set). Still, the most powerful magic they are likely to have seen won't hold a candle to someone like Azalin or what they will even gain personal access to in Ravenloft.

Okay, done now... much longer than I expected. If it means anything using 2nd Edition rules (essentially) for this game. I've brought it up in previous threads before.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A Horseman's Intro - Looking for Advice and Ideas

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I haven't read it fully yet so I don't know how well it fits, and it's 4e-based, so you'd have to do some refitting rules-wise, but the Ravenloft version of the Horseman got a pretty well-recieved revamp in Dungeon #174. If you have a friend with a DDI account, it might be worth looking into.

You're running a risk trying to get them to run. PCs don't like to do that. You may need to kill off that spare PC and maybe some NPCs too. Also, depending on how Ravenloft-savvy your players's are, it might be worth planting some advice from their cabal leader in their background to get them familiar with the: "run, research, find weakness, go back and fight armed with that vulnerability" Van Richten-like model of Ravenloft adventuring.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

I think you should have a talk with the players before the game starts and set some ground rules.

One of my rules is that the characters can die. This makes it more fun when they don't. Also ensure that you explain to them the sorts of power levels the characters are at so they understand what their levels really mean.

Then show the horseman as being very menacing and tough.

And finally if a player wants his character to stand up to it, fine, the character dies. It will ruin the integrity of all future sessions and games if you make the characters immortal.

We get very few character deaths in my game but the characters also run from things, a lot.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Or you can have the Horseman's sickle cut right through the sword of whichever PC foolishly tries to attack him. Sure, it ignores the sundering rules and normal combat procedures, but it'll give the PC an Oh Crap moment, while sparing their heads -- at least, for the first round; if they still won't run, kill the one you say is most easily replaced -- and teaching your players that SCARY can trump both heroism and standard game-mechanics.

You might want to establish that the Horseman only collects one head at a time, giving you an excuse for him to snatch up his trophy and ride off laughing rather than stick around for a TPK. Only if the PCs try to mob him or get in his way does he need to start hacking indiscriminately; have him single out a target each time they encounter him, and let them wonder why he chooses the prey he does.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Higginz
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Higginz »

I anticipate that I will have a similar problem in my games since most of my players are 4e players, and 4e makes players feel like their PC's are invincible super heroes. That being said, I am curious how things turn out for you and if you are able to find a way to persuade them to run.

Furthermore, as a DM are you giving away too much to player's by telling them before the game begins that their PC's are more likely to die in Ravenloft?
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

It shouldn't be a matter of telling them they are more likely to die, because that's not true. If they are smart, etc, it might not be an issue.

If you are going to be running Ravenloft as a campaign setting (not a one shot) it's best that they know what type of game you are running. Saying that your characters CAN die and that there will be things much more powerful than you out to get you is much less of spoiler and certainly less disheartening than saying that they are more likely to die.

Which I think is a dangerous attitude as a DM to go into the game with anyone, and one I've seen a lot when DMs with a less clear understanding of the setting have mentioned to me "taking their characters to Ravenloft" or when I mention the setting.

I'm sure folks around here will agree.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Anyone know any details about this product?

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... s_id=58638

I've got the True20 Colonial Gothic and it's pretty good inspiration. Still I'm wondering if this has an adventure in it or if it's just source material for the setting + a reprint of the story (which I already have in book and audio book).

I'm not sure I need a LOT of area info only (if that's all it is) since this will just be their starting adventure.